-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very few hunters will ever notice a difference between CRF and PF - and even if you do plan on subjecting at PF to terrible conditions, if you give it a little attention once in a while it should work just fine.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
HR IC

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've always had both in the safe and never really understood what all the fuss was about.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I prefer the Classic as it looks much better to me but the PF is a good rifle as well and a much better rifle than a Remington in my opinion. At some point I intend to do a .284 or 280AI with a heavier barrel and scope with turrets, I will use a PF action for that.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Under normal conditions there is no difference in reliability, especially when feeding rounds into the chamber. The CRF is more reliable when it comes to extraction and ejection. Particularly under harsh, dirty conditions or with ammo that might be out of spec.

Given a choice I prefer CRF, but wouldn't pass on a good gun I liked for that reason alone. I sorta think the push feed Winchesters are the most under-rated and under-valued guns on the used market. You can very often find very good guns at bargain prices.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a push feed 270 Win and love it. Barrel floated, action bedded; most accurate 270 I've owned. grin

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have two M70 push feeds from the 1970's that are my favorite rifles, very smooth, both are now wearing custom barrels.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have both and the one flaw in the ointment is that the commercial and military Mauser extractor (except the Siamese Mauser) needs to be modified to allow it to snap over a cartridge single loaded into the chamber. If it isn't, and a cartridge is loaded into the chamber, the CRF extractor will lodge it into the chamber without engaging, where it can't be extracted. Removal usually requires a cleaning rod. Likewise, if a cartridge isn't picked up by the extractor as it rises from the magazine, same difference - a jammed rifle.

Most major brand sporting rifles made today use a modified extractor that function as a push feed, they'll snap over a cartridge rim loaded into the chamber, or engage one that is missed as it feeds from the magazine.

The myth of the superiority of the controlled round action is just that, a myth. If the situation is so dangerous then use of a double rifle is recommended. That jamming and feeding nonsense was used by the double rifle crowd to discredit the bolt action rifle, it's nothing new.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 12/18/11.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JMR40
Under normal conditions there is no difference in reliability, especially when feeding rounds into the chamber. The CRF is more reliable when it comes to extraction and ejection. Particularly under harsh, dirty conditions or with ammo that might be out of spec.

Given a choice I prefer CRF, but wouldn't pass on a good gun I liked for that reason alone. I sorta think the push feed Winchesters are the most under-rated and under-valued guns on the used market. You can very often find very good guns at bargain prices.

Pretty much sums up my feelings too. One of my favorite rifles is an older PF Featherweight that I rebarreled with a Douglas tube in .300 WM. Very reliable and lucky rifle for me....I always seem to find large animals when I'm carrying it. But nostalgia always makes me stop a moment and admire any CRF bolt gun.

AND...CRF seems to still find favor among DG hunters, at least among those who worry about doubling-cycling a bolt in a tight situation.

BUT....how many military weapons use CRF anymore? Battle weapons are all DG outfits.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've got pushfeed XTRs, Classic CRF, and a new to me pre64. All of them work great.

The XTR especially were a well made pushfeed, much nicer finished than other brands.

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally, i like CRF for staggered magazines, and midline feed for push feed. Many CRF rifles are actually significantly less CRF than folks might realise. There is much more to CRF than just a full-length claw extractor. I can only really see the advantage of CRF in a DGR (however, i use a push feed Blaser R8 on buffalo). However, if i was happy for a push feed action, i spose i just wouldn't choose the PF M70. In a twin lug PF action i cant see the point in going past the Howa/Vanguard action. If i wanted lighter, i'd go the M700.

Really, the only thing that has ever made the M70 "special" was CRF. If it doesn't have CRF it is just another of very many twin lug PF designs. And let's face it, most of us tend to buy a rifle for something that is a bit "special" about it. A push feed M70 is like warm beer. It is still beer, but there is nothing about it to make me like it.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A pushfeed Model 70 XTR is a much nicer finished, smoother running bolt, three-position safety, easier cocking rifle than a Remington or Vanguard. They just feel solid.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a push feed .375 H&H and it is a very nice rifle. Quite accurate and I have never had any problem with feeding or ejection. Now, I have not laid upside down on my head and tried it but overall, no problems.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Folks
Having been working on CRF rifles for now on 32 years, here are my experiences.....certainly not the gospel, but facts that I can demonstrate at any time.....
A claw extractor that can slip over a rim(drop a cartridge in the chamber , then close the bolt), can "slip over" the same rim if that round gets too much friction in the chamber(over-pressured, dirty chamber , ammo etc)
Less likely to double feed.....can some one explain to me just how in the hell a claw extractor(or any type extractor or lack there of) will make a person pull the bolt all the way to the rear ? Or not?
Several years ago at the Dallas Safari Show I had the one person who came around every year , I think just to bust my balls. Talked about a #$%^ rifle he had. Made by a famous gunmaker (whose name is mentioned here frequently) on a CRF Model 70. Busted my balls because I had rifles at the Safari Show that were push feed.
After three or four years of this, I got tired of his mouth. I made a bet with him.....bring the $%^& rifle here, I'll make some 375 H&H dummy rounds, and I'll show you how to jam it tighter'n a bulls ass in fly season. Several folks around got interested.
Next day at the aggreed time, he showed up with his rifle. Several folks had gathered to see this.
I put three rounds in the magazine, cycled one in the chamber. Pulled the bolt back just far enough for the round in the magazine to come up, then pushed the bolt as hard as I could.
It jammed so hard we had to get a small hammer and beat on the bolt. He left pissed off, but didnt bother me any more.
I have never saw a CRF that wouldnt do this, its just the way they work. They will jam every time if not worked properly. They will work flawlessly if operated correctly.
Same goes for a pushfeed.
Doubles are certainly better than a bolt from a feeding standpoint. Three shots are tough. Look at the innerds of a double....lots of parts..lots of places for dirt..she must be timed perfectly, or she will fail to fire.
My point is this : I have yet to see ANY type action that I couldn't get to fail pretty quickly one way or another if I worked at it, and none that wouldnt do the job correctly if I did mine.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're a brave soul Charlie................... grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RDFinn
Having had to demonstrate this about once a month for the last several years has "stiffened" me in my position. smirk
Better than that, I can tell you how to jam a Ruger #1....first, get in a semi-panic situation....them stick a cartridge about half-way in the chamber, then jerk like hell on the lever....then spend the next several minutes trying to get the lever back down...easier than what you think to screw up when you panic shocked
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Charlie, sorry, I don't get it. If you pulled back the bolt on that rifle at the gun show...why didn't the cartridge retract with the bolt? That is the whole idea behind having the controlled feed...to retract the cartridge if one should short stroke, rather than allowing another cartridge to butt the one already in the chamber.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The Winchester XTR products that Winchester was making back in the 80's I'd guess, do seem to be nicely finished guns. Even the leveractions from that era had a really nice blue and good wood to metal fit. I've never owned one because I'm left handed, but my buddy hunts with a PF XTR and it probably a better finished gun than any of my factory Remington BDL's. If they made them in a lefty action I'd probably own a few less Remingtons and a few more Winchesters.

Mike

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Interesting thread, but its gonna be a long winter! cry
I should add: Thanks to Mr. Sisk for giving us your thoughts.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 12/22/11.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image]

Long cold winter at that....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Don't you realize that popcorn is bad for you? I have to send in a full report to Moochelle over in Hawaii.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[Linked Image]

Long cold winter at that....

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (160user, 2500HD, 1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,130
Posts18,502,612
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.