Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What would you guys recommend for a manual grinder? A friend of mine has an expensive motorized one, but I do not think that I need one for processing 2-3 deer a year.

Tin coated cast iron, stainless steel? I would rather buy once, cry once.

Oh, and if it actually works well as a sausage stuffer, the better.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I bought whatever brand they sell at fleet farm. I ran a few deer through it; not many because I mostly used the one at my parents' place that's probably close to a century old. The design hasn't changed much. They worked OK, but I got a 1000 W electric one at Northern Tool for ~$90. Both the hand crank model and the electric came with steel grind plates. I bought medium and fine stainless grind plates; they rust less than steel. If you don't find them on closeout in the bargain cave, they may well cost as much as the hand crank grinder, but it still isn't much.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd get a stainless steel with a ball bearing. Some of them don't have a bearing(just a sleeve). With this you could crank by hand or someday down the road you can add a motor to it if you so desired. The stainless will last forever and it cleans easily IMO.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
process one deer with a hand crank grinder and you'll be looking for an electric one.
You can get a basic electric grinder for 100-125 and i'm sure cheaper on ebay. The only time my hand grinder comes out is when i need to grind 2-3# of meat for a recipe or something.

Mine is tinned iron and i think i paid 40 bucks for it a long time ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A good manual grinder is not cheap.These days Pokert and Alpha are good ones if they are still made in PolandI'd stay away from the ones made in China.I have several really old ones that are great grinders made by Enterprise and Alexanderwerk.Those were made before electric ones.I have used them,but it takes a lot of time to grind if you are doing the work by yourself and if you stuff sausage by yourself,it's really a pain.I upgraded to a small commercial grinder years ago and would never go back to the manual grinder again.Either one takes about the same time to clean,you will get the grinding job done much faster and easier with the electric one and the electric one is like having another person helping you do the work.If you think about what a person spends on hunting gear these days,why cut yourself short on your game processing equipment.Investing in good knives and a good electric grinder is money well spent and believe me,you will be glad you did.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
u better have kids...as a kid i had to hand grin a coulpe whole cows......go to sausage maker .com ....save your arms for lifting beer.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a love hate thing going on with mine. I love to hate it. Tinned iron...cheap...works...kinda...gets full of sinew and silverskin...haffta stop...clean it out...start over again every 5-6 pounds. I'm just too cheap to do better for only a couple doe a year.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
250watt grinder on sale thur xmas at sportsmans warehouse 59.00

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has anybody tried the grinder on a Kitchen-Aid mixer?
We've used ours for some light duty stuff like ham and turkey salad, but never with a chunk of raw beef or venison.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...Stand_Mixer_Raspberry_Ice&adtype=pla

Last edited by fw707; 12/16/11.

"A world without string is chaos."
Lars Smuntz

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by fw707
Has anybody tried the grinder on a Kitchen-Aid mixer?
We've used ours for some light duty stuff like ham and turkey salad, but never with a chunk of raw beef or venison.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...Stand_Mixer_Raspberry_Ice&adtype=pla

Yup, it's work horse. Ground up a lot of elk, antelope and deer with it. It's great, flawless but a little slow

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My Kitchen Aid mixer grinder attachment has ground plenty of venison and works great.

Man and man's best friend still looking at the green side of sod.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Lehmans in Ohio carries them.

When a youngster, my folks would buy one of those big logs of bologna about 4" dia and 18 inches long.Us kids had the job of cutting it up and grinding with a hand grinder to make ham sald.( yep, most ham salad is made with bologna) Darn if I would do that again.

Buy yourself one of those $100 electric grinders from Northern Tool. Mine has done about 15-20 elk and more than a few deer and elk. The sausage stuffer works great too.

You can double grind up a deer in about 1/2 hour with one which will take you a coupl ehours with a hand grinder.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,518 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.