Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I'm looking to buy my first Ruger No. 1 I like the looks and feel of the 1A's. I'm thinking pretty simple. 30-06, 270 or if I can find one, a 7x57. I'll be using it for Deer, Antelope and Boar and maybe Elk. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for? I'm going to buy one used.

Mike

Mike

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An 06 will be the least expensive and do everything you want.
I will admit a bias toward the older "Red pad" models as they usually have better wood, superior internal (the guts) workmanship and are steadily appreciating.

The 7x57s are the lightest to tote if that's an issue.

Beware of all the BS that fills the net about #1s. Don't modify yours until you have tried different loads as they are more persnicky than a simple bolt action. I have yet to meet one that wont do 1.5" groups or far better. Unless you're shooting gophers, that level of accuracy will kill any big game animal.

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks interthem,
Do the 7x57's have a lighter barrel contour or a shorter barrel in a 1A? 1.5 inch groups are ok with me. I'm not going to be shooting past 300 yards.

I kinda figured that the older guns would be made a little better. They almost always are now.

Another thing.. I don't see many of the 1A's in short action calibers listed for sale on GB. Seems like a 1A in .308 or 7mm-08 would be nice.

Mike

Mike

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by interthem
Exactly how did you arrive at that nonsense?

The .30-06 1A is going go be the potentially lightest of the three calibers referenced due to the larger bore diameter/less barrel material. The 7x57 and .270 WCF 1A weigh virtually the same.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big_Iron
Another thing.. I don't see many of the 1A's in short action calibers listed for sale on GB. Seems like a 1A in .308 or 7mm-08 would be nice.

Mike
What would be the point? There's no magazine to constrain length or add bulk. Short action chamberings in a No. 1 don't make much sense.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Makes sense Bricktop... I guess I wondered why they were making them in .300 RCM and .338 RCM.

Mike

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Makes sense Bricktop... I guess I wondered why they were making them in .300 RCM and .338 RCM.

Because they thought that they would sell...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Maybe they will.. I bought a .338 in a LH bolt, but I don't get to buy to many new toys in LH.

Mike

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mainly because they have a big investment in the RCM idea and that some of us would buy whatever they make.

It is a doomed breed of cat. The short/fat bus left long ago.

1B

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1B
Mainly because they have a big investment in the RCM idea and that some of us would buy whatever they make.

It is a doomed breed of cat. The short/fat bus left long ago.

1B
Yep. There are those who bought one because it fit a (newly created) hole in their collection and there were five or six guys who wanted the newest thumper out there. The WSMs, SAUMs, and now RCMs are fading.

A .300 Winchester-class round in a short, light rifle doesn't have much appeal to me and the chambering in a No. 1 doesn't seem to offer any advantage over a "standard" length round.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I bought mine because I got a 6.5 lb left hand rifle in a caliber that I can hunt elk with. There aren't as many choices for the left handed guy and I love the gun.

Mike

Mike

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought mine because I got a 6.5 lb left hand rifle in a caliber that I can hunt elk with. There aren't as many choices for the left handed guy and I love the gun.

Mike
I don't doubt they do everything they're advertised as being capable of doing. But I don't think they have a wide appeal.

You need to do what the rest of we lefties do: re-barrel. There are lots of left-handed .30-06s, .25-06s, .270 WCFs, 7mm Remington Magnums, etc. that can become something else without too much trouble.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Big Iron,

I've owned a bunch of No. 1's, including several 1A's.

In general:

The wood has gotten plainer and the barrels better. Some of the older models had EXTREMELY long throats, especially 7x57's, which didn't help accuracy.

Also, the barrels of 1A's are skinny enough that a smaller hole helps--though the most recent 1A I've tested was a .30-06 that shot well under an inch with about half the loads tried. But the other loads ran closer to 2". This is pretty typical of the .30-06 1A's I've shot. They can be tuned, but they're pretty load-sensitive.

In my experience the .270's generally shoot somewhat more accurately and reliably, especially the newer models with the better Ruger-made barrels. I've also found triggers to be generally better on newer No. 1's--with the exception of older rifles that actually had adjustable triggers. The new No. 1's I've purchased in the past few years have had good triggers, breaking between 2-3/4 and 4 pounds after a little "break-in." Many older No. 1's have had 5+ pound triggers that couldn't be easily adjusted.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
According to Ruger, who might know a bit more about the rifles they make than some here, BOTH the 1A in 270 AND 30-06 are listed at 7 pounds. Since .284 is bigger than .277 I would imagine it would weigh about the same.

For the OP, the 06' is still the best all around choice.

Let's stop picking the flysh*it out of the pepper.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

According to Ruger, who might know a bit more about the rifles they make than some here, BOTH the 1A in 270 AND 30-06 are listed at 7 pounds. Since .284 is bigger than .277 I would imagine it would weigh about the same.
I'm guessing you don't put a whole lot of thought into what you post, do you?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope, I just regurgitate the FACTS published by the manufacturer. Reading off one page and typing onto another is not rocket science.

Now, Mr. Expert, you forgot to take into effect the greater weight of a rifle with a 57mm chamber than a 63mm one. LAFFIN !

But a review of your posts, tells everyone that you are always right on every subject, so I'll concede the thread to you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope, I just regurgitate
That's readily apparent. In the mean time, sit down and shut the f*ck up, Mary. Those of us with actual No. 1 experience will continue.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Now, Mr. Expert, you forgot to take into effect the greater weight of a rifle with a 57mm chamber than a 63mm one. LAFFIN !

I challenge you to post the difference in the weight of otherwise identical barreled actions with the same bore diameter where one has a 57mm chamber and the other has a 63mm chamber, weighed on a digital postal scale. LAFFIN!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mudhen

I challenge you to post the difference in the weight of otherwise identical barreled actions with the same bore diameter where one has a 57mm chamber and the other has a 63mm chamber, weighed on a digital postal scale. LAFFIN!
I'm wanting that pogue to explain how "7x57s are the lightest to tote." What in the hell kind of bullshit is that?

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I'm new to this forum. This is funny and so is your avitar Bricktop. If thats really you, we look about the same Sunday morning during deer season. I personally like the '06 better than the 270, but I'm leaning toward the 270 in the number one.. just because I want to try one. I've got maybe 100+ deer rifles. When I buy guns they're my weekness. Its stupid I know, but some guys like shotguns, some dudes like pistols, some guys like black rifles. I hunt deer and I like deer rifles. Someday I'll find my favorite and sell all the rest. So far I'm close but no cigar.
Mike

Mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 2UP, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 1,835 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,980
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.