-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have absolutley no experience with the 7mm08, but have a seen a number of elk deader than a door knob when shot with either a 139 or 154 gr Hornady Interloc bullet lobbed out of 7x57 mausers. Last one was the 154 gr my wife used the Hornady Custom factory loads and that bullet blew thru both shoulders of a pretty hefty bull at about 150 yds. He evidently almost beat his shadow to the ground. She thought she had lost him, as when I got to the meadow where she was she was in tears. What it turned out to be he was standing in a patch of buckbrush and just dropped flat. She was short enough she couldn't see the open spot in that brush and see the dead elk. She thought he had been standing on the outside of the brush and had ducked into the timber and not left a blood trail.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've never shot an Elk so really have no opinion but seeing what the 154 Horn RN does to deer would not hesitate shooting an elk or moose in the boiler room with one, especially within 200 yds or so.

Last edited by ChipM; 12/16/11.
C
C
Great discussion. Years ago I had a model 7 in this caliber. It was perfect for eastern woods hunting. Anyway, my daughters are now interested in hunting and shooting and I've been researching this caliber once again. I like it's flexibility should someday we can head west together for mulies and antelope. Our only issue now is fit and LOP and barrell length. Thanks for the great insights.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
Is there an advantage in 7-08 over 308? Is the recoil noticeably less? I have never fire a 7-08, but shot a 308 in a M1A, a phenomenal shooting rifle. Obviously it has pretty much no recoil. Why would people prefer a 7-08?
Not provoking a flame war at all, I am just curious.

advantage of a 7-8 over a 308?
I wouldn't really know.
I was mostly praising the 7-08, not slamming the 308.

I do believe the recoil is less in the 7-08. I have a 5 yr old made his first kill 2 years ago using my daughter's Ruger Compact 7-08 with 140 grain bullets. No recoil problem for that skinny little kid. Of course, my daughter's first kill with that rifle was at 8 yrs old and she was real little too.

I think if my first rifle purchase (after my 270) had been a 308, I'd be telling you I own 3 308s instead, because I imagine it would do just fine, too.
It's much easier with 3 of us using the same bullets.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by cthemfly25
Great discussion. Years ago I had a model 7 in this caliber. It was perfect for eastern woods hunting. Anyway, my daughters are now interested in hunting and shooting and I've been researching this caliber once again. I like it's flexibility should someday we can head west together for mulies and antelope. Our only issue now is fit and LOP and barrell length. Thanks for the great insights.

I would not recommend the Rem Model 7. I don't care for it.
Our Ruger Compact is a nice shooter and is pretty, which is not something you really look for in a kid's rifle I guess. But, it has a 16.5 inch barrel and is louder, yet no kick at all.

I would recommend the Savage 11 Ladyhunter, if price isn't a problem. My wife is getting this rifle in the Spring so my son can take his Rem youth back that the wife has been using. Son's girlfriend is about to start using his now. Ladyhunter

Savage also makes a Model 11 Youth Package with a synthetic stock and 20 inch barrel in a 7-08 that would work nicely. Savage 11 Youth

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rphguy

Why??

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have hunted with the 7-08 for years. I think it is a very underrated cartridge. Fast, accurate, and great ballistics. Both of my children and I hunt with one. My youngest just got her first deer with a Rem Model 7 at 150 with the 7-08.
Easy to load for, I dont think there are many better cartridges for the money. JMHO.

Stupidity and motivation are a horrible combination
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by cthemfly25
Our only issue now is fit and LOP and barrel length. Thanks for the great insights.

Here's another option which makes the LOP issue a bit easier.
http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/vanguard_2/youth

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
Originally Posted by rphguy

Why??

ours is not as accurate. stock looks (is) very cheap.
the ruger is more accurate, feels better, and the stock on ours is absolutely beautiful. important because the ruger is my daughter's rifle. lol.

both, though, have a 16.5 in barrel and are somewhat loud in an enclosed stand or target shooting.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (benchman, 10Glocks, AussieGunWriter, BALLISTIK, 35, 9 invisible), 1,214 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,240
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.