Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You can buy a pound brick and feed 10 people. My family likes to remind me that polenta used to be served with little birds. We always did Italian sausage and wild mushrooms when they were available.

I used to cook at my neighborhood church during lent. They filled the place, and we had to make soup every Friday. People were supposed to donate what they would have paid for a meal out, and get a bowl of soup in return.

One of the old priests, Father Pasquale Rotundi got me one Friday and said next Friday he wanted polenta. I said that it wasn't soup, but he said it sticks to the ribs and would be filling. We made about 20 pounds of it and filled a lot of bowls. People didn't know what to make of it. You've got to have upbringing in there, I think, or it can be a bit odd.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, they are great grilled over an oak fire.

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Short ribs take forever to get tender. I'd burn them to smithereens on a fire. I've got to put them in some kind of liquid.

Our church is doing to dinner thing again though. They are raising money for "needy" families in town. You come to dinner down stairs at the church, eat a bowl of soup, and make a donation. It's been a long time since they did that.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rob, I'm doin' my honest best to recreate your recipe without the name brand sauce. Added a little Thyme, Bayleaf and Black Pepper. I'll probably do the mash'd 'taters trick. The Wap Sheppard's Pie.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
TR Hawkeye: I like the vacuum pack idea as we have way too much storage space taken up by stacks of empty containers. Did you put a liner of some sort in those containers? There appears to be wax or parchment paper inside the vacuum packs. I would have just run hot water on them till they released but a liner would remove that task if that's what you did.

I'm another cook who doesn't cook small. When I make soup it's usually 4 gallons or more at a time and then broken into freezer size containers.

I prefer short ribs with the bone in. At completion of braising they are removed by the long cooking time and slip free of the meat. I like to think the bone adds flavor.

The term short ribs describes the cutting preparation of the ribs rather than any description of the actual ribs. I occasionally get them uncut and slow BBQ style smoke/cook them just as I would do the ribs removed from a standing rib roast.

IC B2

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We get boneless short ribs, short ribs 10" long and 4" wide that look like caveman ribs, and then some half that size. Off the bone, they are trimmed and you don't get as much fat to skim off your gravy. We really like those. I made them last week with onions, chicken stock, and mushrooms. At the end, I added sour cream and served them over noodles. For $4 to $5 a pound, I think they're the best thing going.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Turned out very good. I had the bone in kind. Bones were about 3" long. I pulled the ribs out after 4 hours and shredded the meat and added it back to the sauce. I tossed in a bag of frozen peas and carrots for the last hour. Served over mashed 'taters. I will add some red wine and a little crushed red pepper next time.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was at the store trying to figure out what I wanted for dinner when I walked by a display with Rinaldi tomato sauce on sale(two jars fer three bucks). I immediatley remebered this thread! Short Ribs!!!

Picked up a pound and a half of boneless short ribs and headed home.

Browned up the ribs with diced onion, garlic, and a little left over pepper, padilla I think?

Deglaze with some Cab and the left over carton of beef stock from Christmas dinner.

One jar of Rinaldi Original and shes bubblin away!

The Rinaldi seems nice, better tomato flavor than most jarred sauces.

May have to run back to town for some more wine and some pecorino.

Thanks for dinner guys!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My Grammy was from Italy and she liked it. Especially when she didn't have to stand over a pot stirring for 3 hours. Either Rinaldi or Hunt's sauce in a can. She used both.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 20 invisible), 1,614 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,286
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.