Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I just bought a stainless guide gun here on the wire and I'm wondering what I'm gonna use to aim the thing. It came with an XS mount that goes from rear scope mount hole past the rear sight, so I have the option of XS ghost rings, scout scope,regular scope, or buy a new rear sight ( not at the top of my list). Scopes I have in the safe are 2.5x20 m8, 1.5-5x20 vari-x iii, and vx-ii 2-7x32 shotgun w/ heavy duplex. Any one use a scout scope or red dot?

Politicians and Diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like a regular scope, couldn't get used to a scout setup.

I started out with a Williams FP on my Guide gun, went to a Leupold FX-II 2.5X20, and am now trying out (and so far, liking) a Burris FastFire-II.

I like a peep, and the XS ghost ring is one of the best.

All three of the scopes you mentioned are suitable for "brush" hunting. The first two I have used on levers and the third on a .308 bolt carbine.

The red dot has me really liking how quick target acquisition is. It also restored the handling of the rifle. As light as the scope that was on my rifle was, it did make it more awkward. It's funny, I don't mind that on a bolt rifle, but I absolutely hate anything that will compromise handling on my levers. The advantages I see with the red dot over the peep is that you simply put the dot on the target, no aligning sights. You can use it with both eyes open, so field of view is very large, something to consider on moving targets.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
i like the 2.5x leupold with hd reticle on mine....they go together like pb and j

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 2.5X Scout scope. Love the way it carries, the scope is well forward and in no way hinders one manipulations of the hammer, and it's accurate to boot. I simply have an aversion to installing dog legs on ones hammer like many do with a conventional scope. I find the scope better in low light and dark woods than the irons.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1minute; 12/17/11.

1Minute
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
While I have had a Leupold 1x4x20 on mine for years, I see where Williams has a new FireSight for the rear scope hole, giving it more of a receiver, peep, ghost ring location. This intrigues me but I haven't heard any reports on it yet.

Well, I misread the Williams info. It is a peep sight with fiber optic dots on each side and some guys say it has been around two, three years while Williams calls it "NEW."

Last edited by mtrancher; 12/19/11.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
A 2.5X Scout scope. Love the way it carries, the scope is well forward and in no way hinders one manipulations of the hammer, and it's accurate to boot. I simply have an aversion to installing dog legs on ones hammer like many do with a conventional scope. I find the scope better in low light and dark woods than the irons.

[Linked Image]

That's right nice looking.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A guide gun isn't meant to be larded with a scope. Put a Williams WRGS receiver on it for a start. Then give some thought to whether you want a bright red dot (Firesight) or flat post.

A Burris fastfire would be better than a scope.

The problem with a scope is that is screws up one-handed carry. The main attraction to the guide gun is that is a handy and eminently packable, not fragile at all.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by one horn
I just bought a stainless guide gun here on the wire and I'm wondering what I'm gonna use to aim the thing. It came with an XS mount that goes from rear scope mount hole past the rear sight, so I have the option of XS ghost rings, scout scope,regular scope, or buy a new rear sight ( not at the top of my list). Scopes I have in the safe are 2.5x20 m8, 1.5-5x20 vari-x iii, and vx-ii 2-7x32 shotgun w/ heavy duplex. Any one use a scout scope or red dot?

Sounds like a great setup. My 336 wears the factory 1.5-5X40 scope in tip-off mounts--seems the perfect range of power.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Here's a "long range" scout scope guide gun set up:

http://www.gunblast.com/Leupold-Custom4570.htm

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a Peep.

I keep it to 150-100yrds, normally under.

Just can't see a vever with a scope

Maybe just me

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a Scout Scope on my guide gun and love it! Once I got it set up properly its great to use. The scope is far enough forward the I can still use a one hand carry around the receiver.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Mine wears a 2.5x20 m8 and I love it.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Depends on what you are doing, but I was going to put myself in a precarious situation I would have a lot more confidence in a rugged aperture sight than ANY scope mount.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
For anything under 150 yds. I prefer open sights, after all these are short range rifles. JMO. Mike

I hunt the leopard spotted bear dogs.
Mike
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I started out with scopes and have since gravitated toward peep sights. I was shocked at how well they can be used. If I can use them accurately, anyone can. A good friend got me hooked on them when we started bear hunting together. Guns that wear them handle like a wand and the accuracy is there to spare. The only advantage I see with a good scope is in low light conditions but...the XS sights that I favor have that great white stripe down the center of the blade and I can see with it almost as well as a scope.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by one horn
Since I was unable to locate a Scout-style scope with 30 mm basis tube - wanted to mitigate severely restricted field of view - I obtained acceptable result with the following combination for my pair of 1895 Marlins.

1. Burris Eurodiamond 1-4x30 mm scope with German #4 reticle and Burris' positive reticle lock. This is a heavy-duty sight that has lifetime warranty AND is made in USA.

2. Warne Maxima bases using Maxima Q-D 30 mm ring set. All are steel. Ring height is LOW (the straight scope tube allows this).

3. Brockman's wing-protected adjustable front sight assembly.

4. Marble's adjustable folding tang sight.
Tang sight folds forward when not in use and is invisible. Front sight assembly is low enough to be unnoticed when not used. Quick-Detachable rings allows conversion from scope to very good open sight system in less than one minute - including time to put scope in my coat's integral game pouch.

This is as quick and intuitive as I have been able to create, to date.

Hope this helps.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Naphtali...can you approximate for me the amount of eye relief the Burris offers? I tried a couple low power Leupold scopes (one fixed, one variable) and the recoil generated by my 1895 invariably planted the rear of the scope firmly against my eye brow. Went back to a peep shortly thereafter.

Would like to revisit the scope on my LTD but need something with ample eye relief as I don't care for the scout set-ups.

I hope my post is in keeping with the OP. If not I apologize for the hi-jack.

Last edited by RGraff; 03/29/12.

"I hunt...therefore I am." James Hetfield
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by RGraff
Naphtali...can you approximate for me the amount of eye relief the Burris offers? I tried a couple low power Leupold scopes (one fixed, one variable) and the recoil generated by my 1895 invariably planted the rear of the scope firmly against my eye brow. Went back to a peep shortly thereafter.

Would like to revisit the scope on my LTD but need something with ample eye relief as I don't care for the scout set-ups.

I hope my post is in keeping with the OP. If not I apologize for the hi-jack.
Rather than make up numbers, I shoot 420/1750 and 325/1900 loads without issue. Since my matched pair of Marlin 1895s have identical Burris sights, and the only other telescopic sight I own is a Nikon 4x on a 10/22, I cannot compare eye relief with any other. A related question: "Would I buy the sight again?" Absolutely! And I need not be concerned about counterfeits.

The 1-4x30 mm Eurodiamond appears to be the same sight created for military rifles, except the reticle is useful rather than absurdly complicated.

Hope this helps.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Fair enough. I'll pursue this and see if it works for me. Much appreciated.

"I hunt...therefore I am." James Hetfield
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Iron sights for anything but over 125 yards, especially in the rain, especially in the brush, and most especially country with humped bears.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (270wsmnutt, 257Bob, 2500HD, 1badf350, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 222ND, 67 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,682
Posts18,534,375
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.