Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Rancho---Our defibs were manual and semi. We never used AED's....I guess a little better control was what was desired in our SOP's.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I cover all the Codes in the Hospital and ER and i did the Intubations and CPR on most of the Cardiac Arrest patient and Drug Overdose. I was Day shift Supervisor in . Cardiopulmonary at IPH Med Center. Most patients i worked on in ER had been in Cardiac Arrest for a while while being transported on EMS. I also did the Intubation in the Cath Lab if needed. I have done mouth to mouth on a few patients but most ambu bag after ET tube [/quote]

That's pretty phenomenal to have a 50% SR given those challenges.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prostrate8

Goalie's not really right. I'm not up on the current High School or Friends and Family curriculium, but the BLS HeartSaver and BLS Health Care version still train rescue breaths with compressions.

AHA has said It's better for someone who is not trained at all to at least give compression and no breaths than nothing at all. They believe that fear of mouth to mouth reduces the number of untrained people to give CPR. That's the original point brought up.

One other change in current training is to set the mask to the side when doing CPR when not doing breaths. During compressions there is some exchange of oxygen. Covering the mouth would reduce that exchange. Science is showing breathing to be less important than in the past, but it's still one of the main pillars of CPR.

If it is still one of the main pillars, why, in ACLS, did they change the "best practice" of immediate intubation? Why do we use a different acronym instead of the ABC's now?

The bottom line is that if you cannot fix the actual cause, it all doesn't matter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by goalie

Goalie's not really right. I'm not up on the current High School or Friends and Family curriculium, but the BLS HeartSaver and BLS Health Care version still train rescue breaths with compressions.

AHA has said It's better for someone who is not trained at all to at least give compression and no breaths than nothing at all. They believe that fear of mouth to mouth reduces the number of untrained people to give CPR. That's the original point brought up.

One other change in current training is to set the mask to the side when doing CPR when not doing breaths. During compressions there is some exchange of oxygen. Covering the mouth would reduce that exchange. Science is showing breathing to be less important than in the past, but it's still one of the main pillars of CPR.

If it is still one of the main pillars, why, in ACLS, did they change the "best practice" of immediate intubation? Why do we use a different acronym instead of the ABC's now?

The bottom line is that if you cannot fix the actual cause, it all doesn't matter.

See my underlined part one more time please.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bea175
I have performed CPR on MI Patients more than a thousand times in the last 30 plus years and it save patients about 50 % of the time if performed right. This new method looks to be better than nothing. The difference in saving someone or them expiring is how soon you start CPR after they have the MI. Time is the most important aspect whether they live or die.

You may have had a 50% immediate survival rate, but do you know what your long-term (made it to discharge, home independently) rate was?

If I may ask, do you work in a cath-lab? When I worked cath-lab, it seemed like the survival was 10x better than even out in the ICU, let alone on a med-surg floor.

I covered all the Codes in the Hospital and ER and i did the Intubations and CPR on most of the Cardiac Arrest patient and Drug Overdose. I was Day shift Supervisor in Cardiopulmonary at IPH Med Center. Most patients i worked with in ER had been in Cardiac Arrest for a while while being transported on EMS. I also did the Intubation in the Cath Lab if needed. I have done mouth to mouth on a few patients but most ambu bag after ET tube

Again, was that 50% made it to discharge or just survived the immediate code? We can keep a turnip 'alive," but long term is a whole different ballgame. 50% to discharge and home would be the best in the world by far for true cardiac arrest Dr Blues involving compressions.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don't need to. The studies support me.

BTW, how many times did you do CPR this week?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
50% is just a guess and really never done the actual numbers. I worked 30 plus years in Critical Care before retiring. The majority of patients who came in with full blown cardiac arrest didn't survive and the ones who did usually had some brain damage.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I don't need to. The studies support me.

BTW, how many times did you do CPR this week?

Yes you do. You are arguing why CPR is effective, not why AHA has said to UNTRAINED people that compressions are better than nothing. You are absolutely correct on the efficacy of CPR, but that wasn't the point brought up in the first couple posts.

I didn't do CPR once this week. I trained two BLS classes and supervised a new trainer for another.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I didn't do CPR once this week. I trained two BLS classes and supervised a new trainer for another.

Those that can't do teach.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
50% is just a guess and really never done the actual numbers. I worked 30 plus years in Critical Care before retiring. The majority of patients who came in with full blown cardiac arrest didn't survive and the ones who did usually had some brain damage.

Were you still around when we started doing "cool-it" patients? Inducing hypothermia in out-of-hospital arrests has been an interesting development.

They kind of skew the numbers though.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
CPR is for short term survival , you have to fix the problem if you want long term. CPR just prolongs the patient so he can be treated for long term survival. Long term is a whole different ball game. they never did this procedure when i was working to the best of my knowledge. I have been retired 10 years or more. I haven't renewed my CPR or ACLS Credentials in years

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Those that can't do teach.....

No doubt you were born knowing CPR, but your reading comprehension is poor. Why are untrained people told compression only CPR is better than nothing?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CPR is for short term survival , you have to fix the problem if you want long term. CPR just prolongs the patient so he can be treated for long term survival. Long term is a whole different ball game. they never did this procedure when i was working to the best of my knowledge. I have been retired 10 years or more. I haven't renewed my CPR or ACLS Credentials in years

It's only been used for a few years now, so you wouldn't have been doing it.

The cooling and subsequent warming has helped outcomes with out of hospital arrest, but there are some tricky parts to it. There are a lot of arrythmias when you warm up the patient again (think re-perfusion arrythmias x100), and it is difficult to assess neuro status, as you need to paralyze the patient when you cool him/her, so you obviously have to sedate quite heavily. We do baseline EEG testing when we are cooling them, but waking them up (if they wake up at all) is always interesting.

It's one of those things that usually goes either really, really well or really, really poorly.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Jeez, guys, let's cut out the pissin' match, OK?

Bottom line, ACLS now recommends chest compressions only. I have talked with some of the people who are "in the know", and the answer I got is that just about everybody who's weighed in on this thread are right:

1)evidence shows there's enough O2 in the bloodstream that you don't need positive pressure ventilations for a good 3-5 minutes;
2)evidence shows most people won't do effective mouth-to-mouth rescue breaths on a stranger
3)effective chest compressions are a LOT easier to teach than effective rescue breathing.

The bottom line is that only a tiny fraction of people who need CPR survive the initial event, let alone walk out of the hospital. Chest compressions buy you time until ACLS drugs and joules can be applied. If you don't get ACLS drugs and joules in a timely manner, CPR will not save you. It only saves 5-10% of patients who arrest in hospital (this doesn't include ICU/ER/OR saves, IIRC) so that gives you some idea of the low success rate in the field. Under 5% is the figure I read last.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No doubt you were born knowing CPR, but your reading comprehension is poor. Why are untrained people told compression only CPR is better than nothing?

Trained people are told it is what you do out of hospital. They are told that because it is effective.

Again, TRAINED people learn compression-only CPR. Wrap your little mind around that and get back to me after your EMT shift ok?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Jeez, guys, let's cut out the pissin' match, OK?

When you've got ACLS, BLS, PALS, and are CEN and CCRN certified, you tend to not suffer fools very well.

I'm one of those people you referred to who's "in the know."

Last edited by goalie; 12/18/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DocRocket

2)evidence shows most people won't do effective mouth-to-mouth rescue breaths on a stranger

You missed a part: the evidence collected from the above being true showed NO DIFFERENCE in outcomes between doing the mouth-to-mouth and doing compression-only CPR. Compression-only CPR is just as effective, regardless of training, location, or the freaking cycle of the moon.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
sounds interesting. Medical Procedures improve every year. You are the care giver for a while and then as you become older you become the patient. So you new guys , get it right. We always believed if you are doing CPR right , the patient will have a few broken ribs. As far as rescue breathing if it was a woman i was more effective in my effort

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 43 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,483
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.