Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan

My favorite though was the ones who would open a box of shotgun shells. Just what do you think you can tell by looking at a shotgun shell, they all look the same?

Back about 1990, I used to Scoutmaster with a guy who owned a hardware store. Each fall, an older gent would come in and buy one box of shotshells, but before he left with them, he wanted Dave to cut one open on the counter. Guess he was checking for shot and powder, maybe he had bad ammo in earlier years.

Dale

TEOTWAWKI==The End Of The World As We Know It

This space for rent

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Open a box of ammo to look at the cartridges? Sure, I have done that several times... A nice hunting book to whomever can name the cartridge, brand and specifics of the cartridge second from the left...
[Linked Image]

Last edited by DPhillips; 12/18/11.

An honest man's pillow, is his peace of mind... JM
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Dale K
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan

My favorite though was the ones who would open a box of shotgun shells. Just what do you think you can tell by looking at a shotgun shell, they all look the same?

Back about 1990, I used to Scoutmaster with a guy who owned a hardware store. Each fall, an older gent would come in and buy one box of shotshells, but before he left with them, he wanted Dave to cut one open on the counter. Guess he was checking for shot and powder, maybe he had bad ammo in earlier years.

Dale

TEOTWAWKI==The End Of The World As We Know It

Dale,
Thanks for the translation. I knew it must have been some snappy little internet phrase. Truth told I was half embarrassed that I had to humble myself to buy factory ammunition, but otherwise, I have found over the years, that it is the little things which piss me off the most.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
A few years ago the local Scheels had Federal 270 Wby on clearance. I bought 4 or5 boxes. When I got home and opened them, two of the boxes had 270 Winchester in them. So now when I do buy factory I open the box first.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I am guilty of it. I have purchased factory ammo in the past that is missing primers or has the wrong cartridge. But in all fairness they sure are purdy!

Enough already, just shoot it!
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DPhillips
Open a box of ammo to look at the cartridges? Sure, I have done that several times... A nice hunting book to whomever can name the cartridge, brand and specifics of the cartridge second from the left...
[Linked Image]

6.5x54??

Steak, It's my favorite vegetable!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Guys, seriously I get it that people check to see if all the rounds are in the box etc. What I was giggling about is/was the people that take out of a bullet and stare at it...

Or the ones that open an unopened box of bullets to reload just to stare and or admire them...grin

Just some fun here's all.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A nice hunting book to whomever can name the cartridge, brand and specifics of the cartridge second from the left...
[Linked Image]

I have no idea but is it a sabot that allows a big bore rifle to fire a smaller round for survival or training?

Maybe a 270 with a .17 caliber sabot?

Oh well.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by TXRam
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
I'm guilty of it but only on something that i've never seen before like something new. i just want to see what the thing actually looks like... that's just me though...

Me too ...

Me three.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
DT: did you notice the new ones from a couple makers have the ends of the boxes glued into place so people won't open them??

Doesnt phase them a bit, they just rip them open anyway..a new sealed box might be "different" from what they've been shooting all their lives....

yep, never phases them a bit. I miss playin with guns everyday but dont miss dealin with the idiots/know it alls.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rrogers
[Linked Image]

6.5x54??

Actually I really got to thinking. I think it is a 6mm Lee Navy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rrogers

Actually I really got to thinking. I think it is a 6mm Lee Navy

My first thought as well, but maybe the case is too short?

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I dont think it is too short comparing it too the two to the right of it (300 h&h and 300 win?) it looks right as the lee navy has a case length of about 2.3" cant remember exact right now but it is right there somewhere. The 300 win at the shoulder neck juncture is 2.356"

ETA: Still not sure of the brand and specifics of this paticular sample.

Last edited by rrogers; 12/18/11.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I open them and ask if they are accurate.

If they say no, I put them back.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
bullets can be real purty...

That Sir is a true statement. What could look nicer than a reloading block filled with carefully crafted reloads?

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
bullets can be real purty...

That Sir is a true statement. What could look nicer than a reloading block filled with carefully crafted reloads?

A room full of college cheerleaders?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ever bring a box of anything home and find it missing some or or all of its advertised content. When I go to the city, it's a 260 mile trip. With several issues surfacing when I've gotten home in the past, I open near everything before leaving the store. I no longer have a desire to lose at least 1/2 of a day and $40 in fuel to do a return. I only open items I fully intend to purchase.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/18/11.

1Minute
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image]

I'll play and I didn't look it up, so here's my wildazz guesses:

Left to right: 25-20,7x57,300H&H,338 Win Mag,400Whelan,and 505 Gibbs.

Bet the 25-20 is a WW factory load with an 87 gr lead bullet for lever action;the 7x57 is one of those TUG bullets I think, probably an RWS factory load;the 300H&H is easy...WW factory fodder with 180 gr FailSafe; the 338 Win Mag is a federal factory with 210 or 250 Nosler Partition.Have no idea on the 400;likely a handload and a TBBC(?).....I'm lost on what I think is the 505 Gibbs....have no idea who loads that, but IIRC it uses a 600 gr bullet.

Edited to add: Oopps! I read the post too fast! Thought we were supposed to name them all....second from left is a 7x57...could the bullet be a 175 gr TUG?

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/19/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] Pics I took this morning.

RWS 7x57 with 177 gr. TIG "Torpedo Ideal Geschoss" (Torpedo Ideal Bullet) loaded to spec 2600 fps.

The Torpedo Ideal Bullet was designed by Brenneke and build and marketed for years by RWS. The two companies are now at court over the issues arrising.

The bullet features a steel jacket, two lead cores of differing hardness - the former extending into the latter and a "Scharfrand", a cutting rim, to produce hair as a sign the animal was hit.

The bullet behaves in lieu with the NP - in that way, the front disintigrates and the back part penetrates.

Here is a marketing pic - that shows the section.

[Linked Image]

I have used the Bullet in 7x57R in my Grandfathers drilling to kill a deer. Not much personal experience, but rest assured, the fact that my grandfather used it in his drilling and his 7x57 98 bolt to kill countless red deer and even moose in sweden in his 40 year career as a forester, is proof to its potential.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by cmg; 12/19/11.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Edited to add: Oopps! I read the post too fast! Thought we were supposed to name them all....second from left is a 7x57...could the bullet be a 175 gr TUG?

Bob,

my compliments. Off course there can be no doubt, as to the cartridge.

As for the bullet - you are very close. Albeit - the TUG (Torpedo Universal Geschoss) was never offered below .30 cal. .

It is a TIG as described above.

The two differ in internal structure of the lead cores.

Here is a TUG section.

[Linked Image]

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,336
Posts18,487,662
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.