Print Thread
Hop To
T
tuam76 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I would like to hear from some Mark V owners that have re-stocked their rifle in and EDGE or standard fill McMillan stock.

-Were you glad you did it, big improvement in handling?

-Significant weight reduction?

I am thinking about taking advantage of the Christmas sale the fire is offering. I am pondering a new stock for my Mark V.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

HR IC

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by tuam76
I would like to hear from some Mark V owners that have re-stocked their rifle in and EDGE or standard fill McMillan stock.

I am thinking about taking advantage of the Christmas sale the fire is offering. I am pondering a new stock for my Mark V.

Thanks

I restocked a SS Fibermark with a McMillan Fibermark stock and the difference in handling was day and night. Weight not so much but the feel and handling were much much better.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a Mark V, 7mm-08,Stainless 20" barrel carbine that I just put in a McM Sako Classic I got from a Campfire memeber(thanks Jim). Dropped about 4ozs off the synthetic stock it came with. It a pleasure to carry,like the sleek lines of the Sako Classic style. Highly recommend the upgrade.

Last edited by Cruiser1; 12/18/11.
T
tuam76 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks guys, I will look at that sako pattern.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Mark V Ultra Lightweight that I put in a Lone Wolf 16 ounce stock. Originally was a 257 Wby, but had it rebarreled, spacer removed and bolt stop moved back and rechambered to 300 Wby with a 26" Lilja barrel. It's great. A tiny bit muzzle heavy, but a great rifle.

Given your considerations, I hope this helps a bit...

An honest man's pillow, is his peace of mind... JM
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Thanks

I restocked my .300 Mk. V., originally in a Synthetic stock, in an Edge. The .300 Wby. is probably at the upper limit of what McMillan would like to see in an EDGE, but after consulting with their rep here on the Fire, he indicated it was okay to do. After firing 50 or so rounds thru it, there is no sign of any problem whatsoever.

I had the stock bedded, of course free floated, and the barrel recrowned. I added Mk V Deluxe two-screw bottom metal and junked the cheesy three-screw affair that comes with the Synthetic model.

With a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 scope and Talley LW rings, the rig weighs 8 lb. 15 oz. all up. It balances very nicely, and accuracy is the best this rifle has ever shot, both with handloads and factory stuff. Overall weight is about as light as I care to go in .300 Wby.

I'm happy with the effort, and have also restocked a Wby Vanguard with an EDGE stock, with similar results.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do they make one for the six lug action?? If so I need one.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

T
tuam76 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks Bighorn, the synthetic model is what I am thinking about re-stocking. Good to hear your feedback about free floating the barrel, I had wondered about that with the Mark V.

Where did you get the deluxe bottom metal?

Thanks

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks Bighorn, the synthetic model is what I am thinking about re-stocking. Good to hear your feedback about free floating the barrel, I had wondered about that with the Mark V.

Where did you get the deluxe bottom metal?

Thanks

I scavenged it off a Mk V on which I added an extended box magazine.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a similar stock on my 7 Wby Mk V made by MG Arms in Spring, Tx. It is an excellent durable stock and weighs 20 ounces. The gun balances well, shoots accurately and is a dream to carry. It weighs 8lb 2oz ready to hunt.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (17Fan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,319
Posts18,487,362
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.