-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I for one dont believe not using a boreguide will damage your throat, I use a Dewey coated rod for one and I also believe that any lubricity present in the cleaning solvent would help prevent wear much like the oil in your truck engine. Not to mention, you really think the metal in your cleaning rod is harder than your barrel steel?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by 5sdad
For the worst of both possible worlds, there is always the option of an aluminum rod. With this, metal can touch the barrel and the rod can be imbedded with grit besides.

Would this grit - that the rod picks up in the bore - be the same grit that I've been imbedding in the jacket of each bullet I fire down the bore at upwards of 3000 fps?

More than likely. In that case, it polished the bore, doesn't it? I would imagine that if it is "True Grit" it is to be seen as an icon of some sort, whereas if it is just plain old "Grit" it is merely some bucolic newspaper for the great unwashed. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Has anyone done an objective test as to whether the lack of use of a bore guide really does any damage to a barrel?

I clean my 30-30 from the muzzle. I've been doing it for 30 years. I use a wooden dowel rod as a push rod.

The only "damage to a barrel" I may have caused, was from not using a bronze brush to clean carbon, which caused a buildup of carbon in the form of ring at the throat. Here is a pic showing where it used to be.

[Linked Image]

The muzzle is fine.

[Linked Image]

It shoots wonderfully! Yesterday's shot;

I would not have cleaned it yesterday but for the rain.

I did make a bore guide of sorts a week ago for my bolt action; just for keeping chemicals out of my lug recesses.

Here is that rifle after 100+ cleanings without a guide.
[Linked Image]
That one also shoots wonderfully. The last time I shot it;

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. If I don't reply further, I'm satisfied with my side of the "debate."
[Linked Image]
...nuff said.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
thats pics of a 30 year old rifle bore ?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ldholton
thats pics of a 30 year old rifle bore ?

The top two pictures are the 30 year old bore. Here are newer pictures.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Win_94; 12/16/11. Reason: for clarity

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. If I don't reply further, I'm satisfied with my side of the "debate."
[Linked Image]
...nuff said.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by 5sdad
For the worst of both possible worlds, there is always the option of an aluminum rod. With this, metal can touch the barrel and the rod can be imbedded with grit besides.

Would this grit - that the rod picks up in the bore - be the same grit that I've been imbedding in the jacket of each bullet I fire down the bore at upwards of 3000 fps?

This sounds like the True Grit.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
To help keep the rod centered in the bore with bolt action rifles, I use a 20 gauge shotgun shell (already shot/hull), cut down to about 1" long and the primer hole drilled out/enlarged to fit my cleaning rod. It stays on the rod, it pushes snug into the rear ring of all my rifles and stays put.

Easy to do, not sure it's really necessary, but doesn't hurt. I don't fuss over keeping the chamber/lugs dry when cleaning.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Back in the day when I was shooting benchrest comepetitively ....perhaps regularly is a better word than competitively... everyone used a bore guide. The general drill was to fire a group or a relay and then clean. That works out to one cleaning for every 5 to 7 shots. We used to figure those barrels were good for 1500 to maybe 2500 rounds before accuracy began to fall off. So a barrel that had 2000 rounds through it probably got cleaned around three hundred times during its useful life. Figuring two round trip passes of the cleaning rod per shot and 5 patches down the bore to remove solvent and it comes out to 30-35 passes of the cleaning rod per group. If I did the math right thats over 9000 passes of the cleaning rod during that 2000 round barrel life. Thats a lot of scrubbing. Under those conditions a bore guide made sense...especially considering the replacement costs of those exquisitely made Hart and Shillen barrels.

Benchrest shooters tend to be obsessive and I doubt that many hunting rifles need that kind of extensive cleaning. I still use a bore guide on my hunting rifles, not so much to protect the bore but to keep cleaning solvents out of the action. And now that I am switching over to the foam bore cleaners, I use the boreguides almost not at all anymore.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The reason I am for a bore guide, when using aluminum rods is not because of imbedded grit, but because of the oxidation of the aluminum rod.

The oxidation is that kind of white, powdery stuff that forms on aluminum when left out in the weather. It can also get on cleaning rods.

Aluminum oxide is very abrasive. It is what grinding wheels are made from. I want to do everything possible to prevent this stuff from contacting the bore. A stainless steel rod, or a coated rod would be suitable.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
If you're going to go to the expense of hiring a guide to take you hunting, he should at least be an interesting person to talk to.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I use a bore guide to keep cleaning liquids out of the action. I use a stainless steel rod that is kept clean. I've had no bore damage I can see.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Wondering if you would shoot that thuty-thuty at a deer or running bear? grin It would be interesting to know what it's done in the woods and what projectiles you use with it. Thanks

Last edited by eyeball; 12/18/11.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jbmi
Gee you'd think that with all those advantages the military would require it. My time served the cleaning was done with the rod found in the butt stock.

Have you ever seen a used military barrel? When you had to clean from the muzzle, the muzzles were always horribly worn.

I have not seen a used AR barrel from the military but would assume same.

But they are expendable. Just because the military does or doesn't do anything, I sure as hell would not take that data and apply it to a top quality hunting rifle barrel. Especially a custom one.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rost495
Gee you'd think that with all those advantages the military would require it. My time served the cleaning was done with the rod found in the butt stock.

Have you ever seen a used military barrel? When you had to clean from the muzzle, the muzzles were always horribly worn.

I have not seen a used AR barrel from the military but would assume same.

But they are expendable. Just because the military does or doesn't do anything, I sure as hell would not take that data and apply it to a top quality hunting rifle barrel. Especially a custom one.

Jeff

You don`t use a cleaning rod in a AR.They use a nylon coated cable that is pulled through.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

they Do reqire it dip &$"^!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use one on my bolt guns, but mainly so aggressive type solvent etc doesn't seep down into the magazine/lugs. I can't imagine cleaning a rifle so often, that you screw up the throat...you'd have to clean a hell of a lot! Since switching to Wipeout, I hardly ever scrub with a rod, just pushing a few patches.

Rifles are a lot like motorcycles. Some guys shoot/ride a little, and spend more time cleaning and fussing over them. I prefer to shoot/ride often, and clean when needed/as time allows.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
During my team competition years, the Gunnie at Quantico showed me a match barrel completely destroyed by a jarhead who affixed a cleaning rod to a drill motor in an attempt to speed up cleaning the bore. This underscored how easily a Marine can break most anything. Kinda like the saying, give a Marine two ball bearings in a rubber room, he'll break one and lose the other.

When cleaning from the breech end through the receiver; No matter how often or how little you clean the bore, it is always an easier task if you can seal off the receiver and isolate the bore by using a cleaning rod bore guide. Doesn't matter your choice of solvents, cleaners and oils. It's always an easier task when you have a sealed bore guide as an aid to transition your stuff through the receiver and into the bore.

In addition, where you may get away with neglected bores in dry climates, you may pay the price with pitted bores in wet coastal areas if you routinely ignore soft fouling.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (14idaho, 6mmCreedmoor, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.