Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by ZookaTx
Different bullet lengths make all the difference in safe upper limits. Loading all bullets of one weight to 2.60" overall with the same powder charge means you can go from compressed charges to 90% loads. Can make a huge difference in chamber pressure. That is one reason why you start low and work up. Another reason is of course to find the optimal barrel time / optimal charge weight that gives tightest group.
And different bullet shapes (longer or shorter ogives, boattails, round nose, gilding metal/copper, etc) mean more or less metal to metal contact with the barrel, which also means more or less max. chamber pressure with the same powder charge.
Just some examples of how much bullet length can vary:

Bullet lengths, all 150 grainers in .308 caliber:

Barnes TTSX: 1.288"

Hornadys: BTSP: 1.044"
Interbond: 1.260"
Round nose: 0.905"
SP (flat base)1.047

Sierras: SP: 1.065"
SPBT: 1.096"
SPFN: 0.884"
HPBT (Match King): 1.110"

this works out as follows in Quickload's computer model, using some of the various Hornady 150s and equal load length and powder weight:
2.6 COAL, H4895, 43.29 grains"

BTSP = 100% fill, 55,700 psi max. (overcharge)
Round Nose = 95% fill, 50,700 psi max. (darned hot)
Interbond = 109% fill, 68,000 psi max! (bad news!!)

Going cross-brand, using same powder and charge weight and OAL the program predicts:
Hornady BTSP = 100% fill, 55,700 psi (overcharge)
Speer BTSP = 101.9% fill, 58,000 psi (even worse)
Sierra BTSP = 100.8% fill, 56,600 psi
Barnes TTSX = 111.1% fill, 71,874 psi (Yikes!)
Nosler Accubond = 108.2% fill, 66,300 psi (overcharge)
Nosler Partition = 103.1% fill, 59,437 psi (overcharge)

Pretty scary stuff, taking some one else's recipe and "subbing" different parameters. Heck I tested Winchester primers vs. CCIs in a 30-25 WSSM recently and it made about 35 fps difference, meaning several hundred psi on the chamber, and made totally different groups with same bullet and charge.

I am loading 41gr 4064 with Hornady 150gr interlock bullet, 2.68 col, what does your Quick Load software say about pressure.?
Thanks
Gary

GB1

R
Rodfac Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Was able to do some shooting here in KY this am...bright, sunny, calm winds and 38 degrees...As reported earlier, I've had good luck with 3031, this load, 38.0 gr is right at max from some manuals, but well under in others...case expansion and primer indications are good with this particular rifle...as always, you're results may differ. I used R-P brass, Win Lg Rifle caps and seated the Sierra 150 gr Flat Base Spitzer to 2.600" Length Overall, as recommended in the '04 version of Sierra's Infinity computer based loading manual. It chrono's at 2572 fps, average, with a 5 shot extreme spread of 15 fps.

I shot off my porch rail, the distance was 100 yds, the group measures 5/8" Love this rifle! Here's a pic...Best Regards, Rod

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]
[img:left][Linked Image]

Last edited by Rodfac; 12/18/11.

Thank a vet for your freedoms to worship, assemble, speech and vote. Preachers, politicians, journalists, and other elected officials had nothing to do with it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rod, looks like you have a fine shooting, deer killing rifle. Excellent group for that style of shooting. I think you found the perfect recipe for that rifle. Tom

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice accuracy shooting like that! I doubt I could get 3" consistently like that. Nice looking rifle and load work up. Go shoot something!

LOL
R
Rodfac Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks for the compliment, guys, but it's really the rifle...this is one fantastic piece...I also played a bit with a Speer 125 gr. TNT Hp...the load used Bartlett's pull down 4895 powder (in my chrono tests, it's identical in burning speed to 4064, which is the data Jeff recommends when loading), 40.7 gr gave me 2490 fps and this 7/8" group. I used R-P brass, Win Lg Rifle caps and the Length overall was 2.575". This load, using 4064 data from the '04 Sierra Infinity computer manual, is well under max...primer and case measurements back that up as well.

...Just to clarify the position in the previous pic...I do lean my left forearm against the rail, but do not support my right arm or elbow...this gives me an identical zero when compared to my offhand and sitting, back rested, positions. That pic seems to have my left forearm off the rail...so much for posing...Best regards to all, Rod

[Linked Image]

Thank a vet for your freedoms to worship, assemble, speech and vote. Preachers, politicians, journalists, and other elected officials had nothing to do with it.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What brand are your targets?

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

R
Rodfac Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Like2....I get 'em as cheap as I can...'bout $3.00 for 250 as I recall...Rod

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
They look like they might be "DIXIE" brand !!! grin Don

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice shooting! If I shot like that off my back porch, A) I would have to use the neighbor's Buick as a back stop, and B) the good people in Annapolis across the way would think the Naval Academy was under attack or something! Either way, there would be at least two flavors of cops pounding on my front door! eek

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Rodfac Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
gnoahhh Your quote from Lawyer Darrow is priceless...never quite thought of it that way....but...yeah...that about says it all.

BTW, both my son's were Dept of the Navy, one a Marine, the other was the weapons officer on the Alaska SSBN, missile sub. I was an Air Force pilot and never did figure out where I went wrong with those two boys. The Marine holds the M-9 course record at USMC Base, Kaneohe Bay, and his brother is 4 pts shy of Distinguished in CMP/NRA competition with the M1A....Rod

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those are two fine boys you have there Rodfac. I thank you and them for the freedoms I have.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
God, I have to get a life! I dreamed last night that I was tasked with developing .300 Savage loads for some army or another in a trench warfare situation. All the troops were armed with Savage lever guns and were bitching that their loads weren't powerful enough, and that the mud and grime of the trenches was jamming their rotors. I was feverishly working over a huge open drum of powder cooking up newer hotter loads for them and handing out handfuls of cartridges to guys to run out and try. I remember yelling at them to forget about magazine loading and just use them as single shots! Shells and tracers flashing overhead. Lots of noise and men shouting. Geez, I woke up in a sweat and immediately jotted down the high points before I forgot them. Pretty swell Christmas dream, huh?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is a good warning for us newbies-

You WILL lose sleep.

You will sweat and become very worked up in the presence of a 99.

Savage 99's will mess with your head.

LOL
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
God, I have to get a life! I dreamed last night that I was tasked with developing .300 Savage loads for some army or another in a trench warfare situation. All the troops were armed with Savage lever guns and were bitching that their loads weren't powerful enough, and that the mud and grime of the trenches was jamming their rotors. I was feverishly working over a huge open drum of powder cooking up newer hotter loads for them and handing out handfuls of cartridges to guys to run out and try. I remember yelling at them to forget about magazine loading and just use them as single shots! Shells and tracers flashing overhead. Lots of noise and men shouting. Geez, I woke up in a sweat and immediately jotted down the high points before I forgot them. Pretty swell Christmas dream, huh?

Wow gnoahhh. You've got it bad sleep

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by Rodfac
gnoahhh Your quote from Lawyer Darrow is priceless...never quite thought of it that way....but...yeah...that about says it all.

BTW, both my son's were Dept of the Navy, one a Marine, the other was the weapons officer on the Alaska SSBN, missile sub. I was an Air Force pilot and never did figure out where I went wrong with those two boys. The Marine holds the M-9 course record at USMC Base, Kaneohe Bay, and his brother is 4 pts shy of Distinguished in CMP/NRA competition with the M1A....Rod

Going DE with an M1A is no small feat..Congrats to both of your sons...

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" Col. Townsend Whelen
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Sorry, Gary, was out of town over the weekend. That load is predicted to be making the following:
41,376 psi
106% load (compressed charge, which may mean your load goes slower and at lower pressure than predicted above)
98.4% burn

Make the OAL 2.60 and it predicts the following:
44,046 psi
2598 fps
2248 ft-lbs at the muzzle
103% load
How is the function of your rifle/magazine with that overall length?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by ZookaTx
Sorry, Gary, was out of town over the weekend. That load is predicted to be making the following:
41,376 psi
106% load (compressed charge, which may mean your load goes slower and at lower pressure than predicted above)
98.4% burn

Make the OAL 2.60 and it predicts the following:
44,046 psi
2598 fps
2248 ft-lbs at the muzzle
103% load
How is the function of your rifle/magazine with that overall length?

They feed and chamber fine. I would think that the 2.68 COL would be less compacted than 2.6, or maybe I am misunderstanding your data.
PS The case when charged does not look like it would be compacted.

R
Rodfac Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Geez, gnoahha, what did you eat for dinner...that's some dream...do you remember any of the loads? Rod

R
Rodfac Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Does anyone have knowledge of Savage's throating practices in the 99/.300? I've had such good luck with the 150 and 125 grainers I've tried to date, that I'm inclined to try some Carbine bullets..the 110 grain FMJ ones that I use in the M1 Carbine. Obviously, a shorter throat would probably work better...I've had good luck with those short numbers in .308 and .30-06 bolt guns for practice out to 100 yds. Too, they work fairly well in a cpl .30-40 Krags which are notoriously long throated...but they do drop off, in those aged veterens at 50 yds or so. Best Regards, Rod

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never been able to seat any of my handloads close to the lands in my 99's and still get the cartridges to fit into the magazines. Haven't tried them all, maybe half a dozen.

Doesn't seem to affect the performance significantly.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 163bc, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,103 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,515,032
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.