Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
My buddy has a gun he's thinking about getting rid of. Its a SS New Haven made Model 70 in .300 Ultramag. Anyone know if this combo is very rare? The gun kicks the crap out of him and I thought he might be best served by getting it ported and putting a better stock on it, but I don't want to give him bad advise if it might be something more valueable the way it is. He's got plenty of other guns that don't blow his shoulder up.

Mike

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They are not an easy chambering to find and are a good rifle if you are into 300RUM's,which are a biy over th top for me but many like them. I'd rather a 300 Weatherby myself or 300 Winchester...

I'd sell it and get something more manageable before I'd put money into it....I hate muzzle brakes and if needed,I'd prefer a more shootable rifle.He isn't leaving anything on the table.That's what I did with mine.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/18/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
As-is.. Will never be worth any less.. And the more he puts in that gun the less he gets out...

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks guys,
I've got a .300 Ultra and I like it, but I'm not all that recoil sensitive and its pretty much the same thing as my .300 Weatherby. We all bought the Ultramags when they first came out and to admit, they are something of a ray gun.

I'm left handed and they didn't make the 70 stainless LH in an Ultramag. If mine was a Model 70 like my buddies I'd just put it in a McMillian or something similar and leave it. I think the reason his punches the shoulder so hard is that the plastic buttstock is unbelievably narrow for such a hard kicker.

Mike

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
And the factory recoil pad ain't nothing special. Mine wears a McMillan super grade EDGE stock and a fluted #3 pacnor barrel and it ain't bad. Hammers critters....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta ask (and I like the 300 RUM) but what's he using it for that he feels a need for it?

If he had to keep it, I'd magnaport if and drop it in a new stock. It's a heck of a machine for those that can master it. Few can and even fewer can take advantage of what it brings to the dance.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Hey Dober,
To be totally honest, I don't think you need an Ultramag for anything. We hunt a lot of stuff, but Boar and Blacktail are the ever year deal and we all go to Wyoming and Oregon for Elk, Goats and Deer.
When I first got mine I was hunting all season with my .300 Savage for Blacktail buck that kept giving me the slip. I missed him in the thick stuff once because I hit a tree branch that I couldn't see. Another couple weekends he just got away before I could get a shot. The last weekend of the season I did something really unfair. I brought the Ultramag and sat on a hill across the canyon from where that buck lived all day. About an hour before sunset he fed out into the open at 392 yards. I shot him through the lungs and he dropped faster than anything I've ever seen hit.

Anyway, like I said.. kinda unfair looking back. This next year we've got a once in a lifetime Elk hunt going. I'm going to be shooting my M70 30-06, but I might bring the Ultramag as a backup gun anyway.

They're really not bad to shoot except sitting at the bench. Mine seems to bite the shoulder a little more than either of my .338's. Standing, kneeling or anything other than the bench you don't notice it a bit though.

Mike

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Oh yeah.. prone, I forgot prone. They're a B$%#H prone.
My buddy shot a buck a little low in the front leg in Oregon a few years back. It got away from us and we tracked it for a few hours. Wasn't hit real hard, but clipped and wounded and we ended up getting another shot at him in some timber later in the day and both missed.

We split up and went back out on the quads about 2 hours before sunset. I found a group of does meandering around the hillside on the opposite side of the canyon about a mile from where he'd originally shot the buck. Sure enough.. there was a limping buck with them. I didn't want to risk trying to go over to the other side and spooking them off again and it was getting dark. Any closer down the hill I went toward him he was out of view. I backed up to where I could see him good enough. It was about 425-450 yards. I put the crosshairs a little over his back when he bedded down and squeezed off, prone, with the gun resting lightly in sage brush. I was trying not to wiggle the gun. I got scoped eyed bad!!! And then heard a wack. Ended up hitting him in the fold of the neck. No way in hell that deer would have died that night or my eye would have got bloodied with my '06.

Mike

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Big_Iron
Oh yeah.. prone, I forgot prone. They're a B$%#H prone.
My buddy shot a buck a little low in the front leg in Oregon a few years back. It got away from us and we tracked it for a few hours. Wasn't hit real hard, but clipped and wounded and we ended up getting another shot at him in some timber later in the day and both missed.

We split up and went back out on the quads about 2 hours before sunset. I found a group of does meandering around the hillside on the opposite side of the canyon about a mile from where he'd originally shot the buck. Sure enough.. there was a limping buck with them. I didn't want to risk trying to go over to the other side and spooking them off again and it was getting dark. Any closer down the hill I went toward him he was out of view. I backed up to where I could see him good enough. It was about 425-450 yards. I put the crosshairs a little over his back when he bedded down and squeezed off, prone, with the gun resting lightly in sage brush. I was trying not to wiggle the gun. I got scoped eyed bad!!! And then heard a wack. Ended up hitting him in the fold of the neck. No way in hell that deer would have died that night or my eye would have got bloodied with my '06.

Mike: Well so far, I have not seen you post a shot opportunity that could not have been pulled off neatly with a 270, 7 mag or 300 Winchester Mag,with less fuss and recoil...and without the scoped eyebrow,and the ridiculous amount of recoil from various positions and the bench. smile

When it comes to recoil and self inflicted abuse,to each his own as the saying goes;but if it's done in the interest of "quick kills",it rarely works out and the 300RUM is one of those cartridges that does nothing the smaller 300's do with a lot less of that sort of nonsense.Dealing with little blacktail deer this is doubly so.

If I were your pal, I'd trip the thing and get something that works.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Hi Bobin,
We didn't buy the .300's for Blacktail. We bought them for Elk. I just hunted mine for Blacktail because I could. Our Blacktail season is 7 weeks here and if you're not in a hurry you can run out a couple guns if you want.

We bought the .300's back in the 90's and you're right. No one "needs" one but sometimes you just get stuff you don't need when you like guns.

I'm not sure I could have pulled off that shot with a .270, or a 7mm of a .300 Win because I don't have one. I've got a bunch of 30-06's that do close enough to that kinda stuff for me. I just wouldn't have tried it with the '06. The .300 Ultra does something that my '06 doesn't. Maybe a 7mm would be ok, but like I said I don't have one. When I bought my .300 I did so because I liked that I could shoot a 200 Grain bullet about as flat as I could shoot a 150 out of my '06. In the end I actually ended up shooting 180's out of my .300 and with the 180's its a no brainer setup for me. I like the .300, I don't mind the recoil, only thing I don't like about it is the long barrel.

My buddy is different. He doesn't like the recoil from the .300 and is thinking of getting rid of it. If he can tame it a little I'm sure he'll shoot it some more and hang on to a nice gun.

Mike

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well Mike not having those others is a very good reason for not having used them... smile

I know they work for the shots you described because I have used them all for very similar shots.

I know the 300RUM is a fast,flat shooting cartridge but to me it is just too much of a good thing,and not for everyone.Other things shoot just as flat,kill just as well, and beat a guy up less,is my point. smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Big_Iron
My buddy has a gun he's thinking about getting rid of. Its a SS New Haven made Model 70 in .300 Ultramag. Anyone know if this combo is very rare? The gun kicks the crap out of him and I thought he might be best served by getting it ported and putting a better stock on it, but I don't want to give him bad advise if it might be something more valueable the way it is. He's got plenty of other guns that don't blow his shoulder up.

They didn't make a ton of 'em.. I get a couple in every year to have a brake installed.. Guys think they need this boomer until they fire it a couple times.. The brake's added while the bruises disappear.. laugh

If he wants less recoil, either install the action in a heavier stock, add a soft, thick recoil pad or add a brake.. DO NOT get it Magnaported.. The brake's removable - those ugly slots aren't..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If/when he spends more money on this Ultra, he will find that he doesn't still really care for it,

too big, too heavy, too loud, costly ammo,

Sell it to the next he-man.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BigIron-best of luck with sorting this out.

Personally I'd say it's time for him to cut bait and rock with another round.

Now if he wants to commit to the Ultra no problemo with it. I've shot them a ton and don't find them overly caustic but it like a 340 is a round that I'd want to shoot a lot to keep in sink with it.

I'd stock it, magnaport it and rock on. And, I'd have a scope with some eye relief on it. Could consider a 168 NBT or TSX or something like that instead of one of the heavies.

If you'd of had your rig magnaported I doubt you'd of been scoped on that buck that you finished. And, 425 yds or so isn't very darn far and I'd of felt comfy putting the buck down with anything from my 22/250 or 6/06 on up.

Best of luck to him with this.

Where's the elk hunt at?

Thx, and have a super day!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great round I have owned probably 20 different ultra mag rifles 300,338,375. They are both tolerable.Nice to shoot a 200 gr accubond at 3200 fps.I'm not into anything sub .308 cal. My 338-378 is putting 300 gr bullets into less than 1/2 inch 5 shots.The bigger magnums can be shot accurately you just have to work with them.

1 and done
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It sounds to me like you all need to get rifles you can shoot better, ie; not flinch when shooting them and can afford to shoo them a LOT. No offense meant at all, but you guys are missing a lot of critters. It takes a LOT of shooting to master the Ultras. They just don't bring much to the table that can't be done with an easier on the shoulder round. I'd dump it and get something he isn't scared to death of or rebarrel it to a 7mm magnum. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Hey Fellas,
Yeah, my buddy is kinda a rifle nut too and has a few different rounds. I think the deal with his .300 is the stock for the most part. Its a stainless/synthetic and the buttstock on the thing doesn't feel much wider than a 94 at the pad.
He shoots a .270 and a 7x57 for deer and a .338 for Elk usually. He actually shoots the UM well, he's just got messed up shoulders from working in the cold a lot. His bites more than mine. He doesn't want to cut loose with it yet, but doesn't shoot it anymore.
I've got a Remington LH LSS with the laminate stock and its heavier. I'm looking at putting a McMillian on mine. I'm not going to port it because I don't like blowing my buddies ears out and but mine doesn't kick all that bad.. except for that one time I shot it prone. My fault though on that one, it was freezing and I wasn't holding on to the the gun all that tight because I was shivering and trying to keep the cross hairs in the right spot on a bedded buck. I don't shoot mine a heck of a lot anymore as I've kinda gotten into taking some of my older guns along now.

Hey Dober, the Elk hunt is going to be in Oregon. I think you're right about shooting them a lot. I took mine out before the season this year and ran about 80 rounds through on ground squirrels. We've got a slew of them on the ranch and it always gets you feeling pretty confident about the deer season.

Mike

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
80 rounds on chucks,pds or gophs would be a good day no doubt... wink

I'd especially like the round for long range chucks.

Seriously though, I'm not much of a 30 cal fan but the Ultra is one of the few 30's that gets my attention from time to time. Each and every one I've been around has been super accurate!

Is the Oregon hunt a special tag or over the counter kind of deal?

I'd love to hunt Oregon one of these days in search of bruins.

Dober

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I've never run across a Bear while hunting in Oregon, but we hunt the eastern part of the state and I bet there are more in the Northwest. We bowhunt deer and elk there a lot and every few years draw a rifle tag. The Elk tag is a special tag. We've been saving preference points for a few years and last year we knew we'd draw it and then they decided to sell the tags to an outfitter. Go figure how that works a week before the draw and you get a letter in the mail. This year I'm pretty sure we'll get it.

Mike

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have several model 70 300 ultras, if your bud wants to sell let me know....
FWIW everyone I have ever worked with has been very accurate and fed very well from the factory.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,497 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,679
Posts18,493,859
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.