Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
tlfw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
One of my friends, whose daughter is my daughters best friend, and is on our hunting lease has been trying to get his daughter into hunting. She (daughter) has been apprehensive about shooting and hunting. This year she has spent a lot of time with my daughter coming out to the lease and working on feeders, feed pens and just spending fun outdoors. We have had great shooting sessions where she watched my daughter shoot. She watch my daughter shoot lots of guns...both rifles and handguns. At first she just wanted to watch and was scared to shoot anything. My daughter played a significant part in encouraging her and walking her through the process like only a kid can. My daughter shot her 223AI, and 243AI rifles and then the 357Mag., 41 Rem Mag., 44 Mag., and the 500 S&W. All infront of her friend to give her confidence in the ability to shoot and manage recoil. My daughter let her friend shoot her rifle and grow some confidence. She loves my daughter rifle because it is "girly", yet can be used for hunting. I had built my daughter's rifle for many reasons, but I didn't really expect it to attract other girls to shooting because they would want to shoot it. I've posted these pictures before, but for background information I'll post again.

Said rifle...A Robert Gradous Special in 223AI...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Opening General deer season (I messed up and wasn't able to get out to opening youth season. Big mistake on my part), my daughter was unable to connect with a buck. We hunting hard and held out for a good buck to no avail. My daughter was disappointed, but determined to get her deer. Our girls go to school, church, and play volleyball together. They talked a lot about hunting this year. A few weeks ago, my daughter connected on her first buck. She showed pictures and told stories to her best friend. Her friend was starting to get inspired to get her own buck too.

Fast forward to this last weekend. We all headed out to the ranch to fill our buck tags. My daughter on first night nails her second buck, then starts on her doe tags. Daughters friend didn't end up connecting the dots. When we were back at the ranch house and hanging the deer on the hooks to work on, the kids were envolved in the process. I had my daughter hold the buck still while I started to cut it open. I did the process slow, so it would sink in slowly. The fact that my daughter was there getting her hands dirty continued to be a factor in encouraging her friend to do the same. By the time we were done, the friend was getting anxious to get back in the deer blind and get her buck. The next morning the stars didn't align for her again. After an afternoon of hanging out, playing in the dirt, and cutting up the hanging deer she was determined to not let another opportunity pass her by again. That evening she connected the dots. She was so proud of herself her feet wasn't touching the ground. She had shot her buck right through the heart and she allowed her dad to put the heart blood on her face. After a prayer and a praise, she said she wanted to kiss her buck. We are all impressed with her growth as a huntress.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

kids doing there best buck impression...
[Linked Image]

The next day, her younger brother got into the act and got his first deer, a doe to go...

The land of the free because of the brave.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nice post tlfw.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice post.

You are doing really good this year.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nice. Congrats to all the youngens.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I cry Photoshop!

No way could anybody get close enough to a deer to kill one with that much blue on a rifle!

Even a little blue tape on the muzzle will scare them off. Or so I heard on the 'Fire, anyway. wink

Excellent job -- your daughter for educating her friend, and you for educating your daughter!

John

IC B2

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
awesome........... GRF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's GREAT!!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't kill em in blue jeans either.

Great job.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
tlfw;
Thanks for taking the time to share this with us, it's great to see the new hunters having success afield.

Please pass along congratulations to both of the young ladies on their respective deer.

I'll send you a tip of the hat for making sure that the hunts were able to take place and for parenting in such a way that your daughter encouraged her friend to hunt as well. That is doubly cool - well done sir.

Thanks again and all the best you and your family as well as your friend's family in the upcoming Christmas season.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Nice to see the young guns pointed straight!! Congrats

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good on ya, congrats all around. Loved the blood photos.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tlfw

kids doing there best buck impression...
[Linked Image]

laugh

I don't care who you are, THAT'S FUNNY! laugh

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats - nice rifle btw wink

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice job Ladies!

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Coolest post in a long time! Congrats. Looks like you and the other father may have found hunting partners for life! Something to be proud of!

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 222ND, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,794
Posts18,516,111
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.