Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just took a herters in on trade. It is a 300win and is the made in England u9 as near as I can tell. The trigger/bolt release is haywire right now, but that aside...it looks like a really high quality rifle with some fine touches. The barrel is a very light taper deeply blued beauty. I had intended to fix it and trip it, but I might finally try my hand at wood work on this one.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by high_country_; 12/22/11.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I believe Herters used a couple of different actions for their
rifles, I may be wrong though. The last Herters U9 I handled
was chambered in 6MM Rem. They also sold actions seperately,
I may be wrong there also. Some of the other guys should add
to this soon.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I had a Herters of unknown Model, but it was a commercial 98 action...a little touch here-n-there and it served me very well for very many years...

It was a .300 as well...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
IIRC, most of the England jobs were BSA actioned guns.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had an old U9 in high school...a 6mm Rem. Nice rifle, but even then I didn't much care for the Weatherby/California stock touches. it shot very well, though, and I probably shouldn't have traded it off for whatever I traded it for.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
IIRC, I believe Herter�s used BSA and FN actions for long cartridges and Sako actions for short cartridges. After all, everything offered by George Herter was the "world's greatest", according to his advertisements. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
not just greatest...Model Perfect. Perfect, mind you.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
But they work great an his bows were top knochso were the rest of his line

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What you have is a BSA Monarch action with a Douglas barrel and a Herters stock. The guns are shooters.

Push the trigger forward pretty hard and you will release the bolt.

If you shoot it you will keep it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Oh, you can get wood from Richards and from Hoosier for them.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was thinking of a nice claro slab since of the stack of rifles I own few are wood and none are nice.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by high_country_
I was thinking of a nice claro slab since of the stack of rifles I own few are wood and none are nice.

I would bet on the rifle being accurate enough to warrant the use of good wood. I have three of them. My 300 shoots everything I have put in it well. I didn't put nice wood on it, but I did put a German made Zeiss on it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The finish on the barrel is very good, I will likely remove the few remaining tool marks on the action and rust blue it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The bolt lock is broken on this gun too, but I think I am just going to eliminate it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
This thread would be much better with some pictures.

Just saying.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Herters now there are some memories...the store in Mitchell, SD was paradise to me as a kid. IIRC they had a U9 and a J9 action. Model Perfect! The son Jacques actually became a psychiatrist and had an office in Casper, WY back in the 80's.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The bolt lock is broken on this gun too, but I think I am just going to eliminate it.

The bolts release either by pulling back on the trigger pretty hard or pushing forward pretty hard. I have both versions. You might have to close the bolt and then pull/push the trigger, holding it while you unlock and remove the bolt.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bbassi
This thread would be much better with some pictures.

Just saying.

I'll see what I can arrange tomorrow.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a J9 in 6mm Rem in my safe that my dad bought new in the 60's; nice rifle. I've since dropped it in a Boyd's laminate (Yugo 48); factory stock was too gaudy with the lighting bolt spacers. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MILES58

The bolts release either by pulling back on the trigger pretty hard or pushing forward pretty hard. I have both versions. You might have to close the bolt and then pull/push the trigger, holding it while you unlock and remove the bolt.

The bolt release is a good trick to play on someone! This one locks the bolt down with the safety, but the tang is broken that engages the bolt. I will post some pics....its no beauty queen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,285
Posts18,486,876
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.