Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
I was given an 1873 Winchester .44-40 last weekend, and found it's bore to be heavily fouled with lead. The standard solvent and brush treatment has removed most, but it is taking forever to get the last 10% out.

There are centuries of experience here on the 'fire. What are some better ways of getting the *%%#*@ lead out?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some say to just shoot jacketed bullets in it and most of the lead will be gone.

If a bore shoots well and is safe I see no real problem with some lead or for that matter copper fouling in it.

How leaded is it? Can you shoot it safe? How does it shoot?

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
One of the FOUL -OUTS using the lead removal liquid works darn good.If not,just a lot of elbow grease.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I copied this from somewhere but can't remember exactly where but it really works. I shoot lead bullets out of the S&W's and this methods 'gets the lead out'.

"Pull some threads of bronze wool off the pad and wrap it tighly around bronze brush. The tighter the fit, the faster it will remove leading. 10-15 passes will remove all but the most severe leading".
I got the #00 bronze wool from Brownell's #439200101

PM or email me with your address and I'll send you some.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 1sgLunde
I copied this from somewhere but can't remember exactly where but it really works. I shoot lead bullets out of the S&W's and this methods 'gets the lead out'.

"Pull some threads of bronze wool off the pad and wrap it tighly around bronze brush. The tighter the fit, the faster it will remove leading. 10-15 passes will remove all but the most severe leading".
I got the #00 bronze wool from Brownell's #439200101

PM or email me with your address and I'll send you some.

Probably got it from Montana Bullet Works that is where I got it from. I've just started loading cast bullets and it sure helps with cleaning the barrel.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Stop by your local supermarket and buy a package of "Chore Boy" pot scrubbers in bronze/brass. Rip one of the pad apart and wrap some around a cleaning brush and run it through your bore. The lead will be gone in no time. I use this trick in my pistols when shooting lead bullets. Works great. Much better than my Lewis lead remover. No need to mail order anything and probably much cheaper than the stuff Brownells sells.

Last edited by Labman95; 12/22/11.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Plug the bore and fill it with a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar. Let stand till it stops fizzing. Lead gone. No harm to bore.

I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by Labman95
Stop by your local supermarket and buy a package of "Chore Boy" pot scrubbers in bronze/brass. Rip one of the pad apart and wrap some around a cleaning brush and run it through your bore. The lead will be gone in no time. I use this trick in my pistols when shooting lead bullets. Works great. Much better than my Lewis lead remover. No need to mail order anything and probably much cheaper than the stuff Brownells sells.
How I love the Campfire! I have to go into town this morning so will see if I can find the Chore Boy scrubbers as an immediate attempt.

The '73 is in absolute shootable condition, and appears to have only some very light bore rusting. Hard to tell what is rust and what is lead until I get the rest of the lead out.

Thank you everyone, and keep the ideas coming!

I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Plug the bore and fill it with a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar. Let stand till it stops fizzing. Lead gone. No harm to bore.
Hmmm, I may experiment with that as well, although initially on my Colt SAA. Got to devise a plug.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Which results in an aqueous solution of lead acetate.

"An aqueous solution of lead(II) acetate is the byproduct of the 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar used in the cleaning and maintenance of stainless steel firearm suppressors (silencers) and compensators. The solution is agitated by the bubbling action of the hydrogen peroxide, and the main reaction is the dissolution of lead deposits within the suppressor by the acetic acid, which forms lead acetate. Because of its high toxicity, this chemical solution must be appropriately disposed by a chemical processing facility or hazardous materials center. Alternatively, the solution may be reacted with sulfuric acid to precipitate insoluble lead(II) sulfate. The solid may then be removed by mechanical filtration and is safer to dispose of than aqueous lead acetate." [emphasis added]

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh and the Chore Boy trick does work well. Just make sure it's an all-copper pad and not a copper coated steel one. Use a magnet to verify it's all copper.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Shoot 5-10 jacketed rounds down the bore. Lead will be gone a lot easier than any other means.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The BPCR folks, who are often faced with lead issues, suggest an overnight soaking with mineral spirits (turpentine) and the Chore Boy treatment or hammering an extremely tight jag and patch through the bore.

One might check the Shiloh forum and search for "leading" for additional suggestions. I can well reinforce that accuracy goes to hell in a hurry when leading begins.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/22/11.

1Minute
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Azar

Which results in an aqueous solution of lead acetate.

"An aqueous solution of lead(II) acetate is the byproduct of the 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar used in the cleaning and maintenance of stainless steel firearm suppressors (silencers) and compensators. The solution is agitated by the bubbling action of the hydrogen peroxide, and the main reaction is the dissolution of lead deposits within the suppressor by the acetic acid, which forms lead acetate. Because of its high toxicity, this chemical solution must be appropriately disposed by a chemical processing facility or hazardous materials center. Alternatively, the solution may be reacted with sulfuric acid to precipitate insoluble lead(II) sulfate. The solid may then be removed by mechanical filtration and is safer to dispose of than aqueous lead acetate." [emphasis added]
Yep, I just pour it into a plastic jug and save it for our annual, community wide hazardous waste/chemical disposal day we have here. I also do it outdoors and wear rubber gloves. I kinda figured anybody should realize the resultant concoction is toxic and aught to be handled as such but maybe not. It is ABSOLUTELY the quickest, easiest, most thorough way to remove lead fouling there is, BAR NONE.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have heard it works fantastically, I've just never wanted to deal with the mess. I don't know of any thing like a community hazardous waste disposal day around here. I'm not sure what I'd have to do to dispose of it properly...so, I never bothered.

Good to hear more first hand experience that it works so well.

I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Thank you 1sgLunde for the Chore Boy suggestion. It worked beautifully and immediately brought me past the lead wall. The bore is brightening up wonderfully.

And, Blackheart, I intend to try the Hydrogen Peroxide/White Vinegar as the grand finale too, as soon as I can come up with a satisfactory plug for the breach. Seems there is nothing suitable in my shop, so am still puzzling over what to use.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chamber Plug

He can make a custom plug if one of those won't work. What diameter is the 44-40 case? The plugs tend to be short.

I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by Fifth
Chamber Plug

He can make a custom plug if one of those won't work. What diameter is the 44-40 case? The plugs tend to be short.
Thanks, I'm going to need to get one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IdahoElkHunter
Thank you for the thank you but it was Labman95 with the Chore Boy solution. Mine was the Bronze Wool.
Thanks for acknowledging the response

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mercury works perfectly if you have it on hand. Barring that the easiest method is to drive a soft pure lead slug down the bore. The fouling will come out in chunks.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 117LBS, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,928 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,641
Posts18,512,265
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.