Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D'Arcy Echols is now blogging and hanging youtube videos.

Not commenting on his rifles as I don't own one, seriously doubt I ever will but this is an interesting video. I remember Charlie Sisk had one similar with the 450 Marlin. Rack em as fast as you can to see how they go...

Me

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
THAT is how they OUGHT to work. All of 'em, every time. My 416 Rigby will do that with round nosed solids but sometimes hiccups with pointed slugs. Need to work that kink out if I ever get another opportunity to hunt the big bears.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like he had em all in the air at the same time too.

Me

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

IMPRESSIVE!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow!!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
THAT is how they OUGHT to work. All of 'em, every time. My 416 Rigby will do that with round nosed solids but sometimes hiccups with pointed slugs.

The only failure to feed with a control round action I saw was with a guy who was plning to hunt bears in Alaska. Like you his would feed the round nose but absolutely would not feed the spitzers he wanted to use.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since one is not going to be shooting at a Brown Bear aqt any kind of long distance, probably no handicap to using a good controlled expansion round nose bullet.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I got my 550 Classics 2 years ago I had to take it to the range and thank goodness I did. Could not feed the next round without me looking like an amateur trying to feed it. Took it to the 'smith the next day with a couple rounds who said it is a rough rifle that needs some polishing. He did his magic and a couple months ago I could put 3 quick shots into an elephant.

Great stuff what a good smitthie can do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad I saw this thread. The video prompted me to attempt the feat with my new box stock Sako 85 9.3x62 Black Bear. Using factory HDY 286gr SP-RP ammo, I was happy to see I could cycle all (6) six rounds, (5) five in the box with (1) one in the tube, fast as Echols without a single blip. Not a mark on the brass.

When the wife gets back, I'm going to borrow her camera to make a duplicate video to post with my rifle review. Maybe show it once without mounted scope and once with mounted scope. Not an Echols rifle, but the first factory production rifle I've ever handled which cycled to that extreme when untouched smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 12/12/11.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have seen a bunch of CRF rifles fail to feed smoothly, and not just with one style of bullet. In fact I once bought a Mexican military Mauser is 7x57, and it wouldn't feed ANY sort of 7x57 ammo at all--until I worked on it for most of a day.

Have also seen a bunch of people jam CRF's when working them under stress. D'Arcy makes sure they work as perfectly as possible, but one of the factors in working any bolt-action rifle is the nut behind the bolt!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Gotta admit - the biggest kick for me was him getting all of those cigar sized cartridges in the air at one time.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bet a steak dinner in Las Vegas during SCI that those are not D'Arcy's fat fingers in that video. grin

Any takers?? Brian?? D'Arcy??

ps. My AR-15 feeds almost as fast. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Have also seen bolt guns do the same thing. One was a Remington 700 and the other an Ed Brown Savannah. I sent the Savannah back and got a full refund.

It makes you wonder how a rifle with that sort of pedigree makes it out of the shop with the defect undetected. They must single round load them when test firing not to detect such a problem. Or perhaps they don't test fire them at all.

BTW, I'm not a fan of detachable box magazines, either. Had one (rifle was a Sako 75) fall out between shots on a pig hunt. Sako has modified the mag release on the 85 to make such an occurrence far less likely.

IMHO, the simpler it is, the less likely it is to fail or for the operator to screw it up. That's why my stopping rifle is a double.

Last edited by Winchestermodel70; 12/13/11.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
[quote][/quote]Have also seen bolt guns do the same thing. One was a Remington 700 and the other an Ed. I sent the Savannah back and got a full refund.

Was this Savannah on the 702 or 704 action?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cool vid! Behaves just like a pre 64! smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Hell, I can do that with my 700 upside down but none will go in the chamber smile

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
World Hunter:

it was a 704. The so called "controlled round feed" Ed Brown action. In my personal opinion, a piece of over priced junk with zilch quality control. And I paid for the "break in service" as well. How this defect went undetected is a mystery of the ages.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not hard to do with those round-nose bullets... Even the pointed ones go in rather easy due to the cone breech.. Just don't try it with a CZ... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why not with a CZ? Can the CZ feeding of pointy bullets be remedied? Mine feeds slick as snot with Barnes Monolithic solids and various round nosed projectiles, but can get hung up if run real hard on a spitzer shaped cartridge. My solution has been to not use them except on varmints and such but I am curious. THANKS

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
but can get hung up if run real hard on a spitzer shaped cartridge.
Exactly..

Customer of mine had won a trip to Africa on short notice.. Bought a CZ in .458 Lott.. He could never get 100% feeding with it, even when trying three different makers of ammo.. The tips would get caught on the flat portion of the breech and everything stopped.. It has to do with the breech design..

He had only 7 days before he left on the trip. Nothing I could do with it in that short a time - but the best remedy would have been to remove the barrel, machine a cone breech like the M70 Winchesters and refit the barrel to the receiver.. Neither of us had the time to allow that procedure..

No amount of magazine tweaking would cure that CZ breech style.. I've had other customers complain of the same thing.. Some feed very well - a few others won't. If you're going to Africa on a DG hunt, that rifle MUST feed 100% every single time..

Yesterday, after watching the video, I had the opportunity to try the same thing on a M70 Classic in .375H&H I had just finished installing a barrel on.. I went as fast as I could and every shell fed as slick and quick as the one in the video..

Sorry, but it's darned hard to find feeding as nice as the coned-breech Winchesters... Just my .02...

smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,456
Posts18,471,117
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.