Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#59556 04/05/02
SQUACKS Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
JUST came back from tennesee where i called turkeys for my son. first day we got a 20 lb. with a 10 in. beard. 2nd day got a 24 lb. with 11 in. beard. had a great trip. headed for southern ill. next weekend to try for 2 there. 1 for me and 1 for a friend. hope the weather is good for it. i'm feeling unstopable! luck!

GB1

#59557 04/06/02
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
SQUACKS - Impressive. If you care to do so, give a few of the highlights clinching such success.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

#59558 04/06/02
SQUACKS Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
GENTLEMEN: my son lives in hamblin co. tenn. so i planned a visit on the opening day of turkey season. as he only own 14 acres we just bought a tag for him. the tenn. limit is 1 per day and 4 for the season. the first day we hunted about 3 hours before i heard the first gobble that was close. we had heard a lot of hens but up to that time no gobblers. it had started raining and i knew that wasn't going to help make the turkeys gobble more.
<br> the first one gobbled what sounded like a couple hundred yards down below us. we were sitting just about 25 yds back from the edge of the hill. that is so when the turkey comes up to have a look as soon as he comes in view he is in range! i used a PRIMOS POWER CRYSTAL and an HS STRUT WIRE STICK for a striker. this call and striker combo makes frequencies so high that it makes my eardrums collapse! any way i called a couple of time and the turkey gobbled in response so i shut up. once in a while i would give some soft purrs. the turkey never made another gobble. but it came over the hill right in front of us at 25yds. he was all puffed up and looking pretty. my son fired one shot with a winchester 97 12ga. and the hunt was over!
<br> next morning it was raining still so we didn't go out until 9:00 am. we hunted about an hour. at the last i got 1 to gobble at me from about a MILE OFF. same call and striker. i know he was gobbling at me. he answered me for about 10 min. but the distance was long and he didn't seem to be coming closer. so we decided to go back to the house. we took a short nap and ate some lunch. about 12 noon (my favorite time) it brightened up a little and slacked up raining. by the way, the call and striker i mentioned is completely waterproof and sounds great soaking wet. we went back out to the same spot that we had left. it was the same spot as the day before. we got set up and i called . got an immediate response from just below us. we barely got the gun up and the turkey popped up in the same place. but this one just stuck his head up over the rise. that old white cap was just shining! he was sneaking along just over the rise. when he got out of the brush and right in front of us i purred at him. he stuck up his head just as pretty as you please and that left his head and most of his neck sticking up at about 20 yds. that ended the second hunt!
<br> i had decoys along but we never bothered putting them out. i find that hunting in the woods i don't find them neccesary. when i go to wisconsin in may i may give them a try. i bought the new sceery blow -up decoys but as i have said, i have yet to try them.
<br> as i have 5 more turkeys to try to call in (for myself and others) i'll keep you all posted . so far it's a great season! luck!

#59559 04/09/02
SQUACKS Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
AS I stated before a friend and i are headed for the southern tip of illinois to hunt turkeys this coming sat. through mon. this friend has never been turkey hunting and i'm hoping to call a big ole rascal up for him. we also have some fishing poles packed up for some late evening bass fishing. one other thing that i like to do is find a few morel mushrooms if they are up. a snooze now and then don't hurt none either! hunting, fishing and loafing! i am looking forward to it.
<br> the first part of may i go to wisconsin to call for my hunting partner. and the last part of may another friend of mine and i both have tags. this is late may and the last week of turkey hunting in wisconsin. they will have been hunted for 5 weeks previously. every year we always get the last week being non-residents. and by that time we be hunting SNEAKY turkeys. last year one gobbled at me from just over the hill. i had the gun up and just knew it was all over. nothing happened. i waited. nothing kept on happening. and on and on. so i thought i would risk 1 little purr. and the turkey gobbled about 10 ft. behind me right in my ear! whoops! i was pointed like a game bird. he made his seperation from me quickly. and out of all the turkey hunters i called for last year I was the only one that did not get a turkey! but then i had lots of fun and i didn't have to pluck any! luck!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 48 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,092
Posts18,501,957
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.