Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That is pretty bad.I figured the cold chamber guys coudn't let it go with out some comment.

You think that is bad. Try spending about 200 hours making a stock for a ML and then have your mule charge up against a tree, breaking it the 1st time out.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Logic is a bitch for many.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
These may get you shooting again without a large cash outlay. I would call to confirm the description as they screw up at times and it appears so here. I have bought a couple from them with complete satisfaction.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/wispshaccuwa.html

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/waspshacfest.html

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
No, stupid remarks that have no bearing on the conversation is a bitch to many.
Some folks, since they have nothing constuctive to add to help, just like to try impress other swith BS.

The stock may be repairable by a competent wood working smith with the correct epoxy and pins.It won't be 100 % unnoticeable but workable.

I have repaired several double SXS shotguns that have broken thru the wrist. To bad the grain was not a little straighter thru that section. A longitudinal pin down thru the wrist and then a couple of inset color matching wood pins over the cross wise metal pins and then some recut checkering would work well.

Probably best to refinish the entire stock. As stated,not cheap.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/23/11.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can sell it to me at firewood market price.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Not trying to be a shill, but there are 6-8 of those RMEF S.G. short action stocks are on x-bay right now. They ain't cheap, though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for this happening. Glad OP was not hurt. Personally I would go on with an Edge.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
A couple of years ago, I bought a used CZ Hornet, that had been broken in about the same place. The previous owner had covered up the break with black paint, but the price was excellent, so I bought it, stripped the paint, and found some beautiful fiddleback under it.
I can see why he painted it, he did an awful job fixing the break, mechanically good, but visually awful. I sanded some more, and refinished it, letting the good parts of the wood show, and use it for a "beater", but the little stinker shoots great. I have found it to be a fine little rifle, I don't worry much about skinning it up, and I use it a heckuva lot now. One of these days, I'll get around to ordering another stock for it, but now it's getting a lot of use "as is" and I don't suffer any pangs over a nick here and there.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Kinda odd that someone would fall whilst hunting. Seems the hot chamber boys say no one falls whilst hunting. Easy to maintain muzzle control, less so when the rifle is in 2 pieces...

Especially when attempting to sling it....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Is what you just said racist...? grin

Hard to tell these days...

Nothing wrong with hard, African, wood. If that's what you're into. That's what the girls at my college seemed to be into.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dan360
Originally Posted by ingwe
Is what you just said racist...? grin

Hard to tell these days...

Nothing wrong with hard, African, wood. If that's what you're into. That's what the girls at my college seemed to be into.

shocked

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Something morbid about taking pictures of such a catastrophy but I am sorry for your loss.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by stray round
Something morbid about taking pictures of such a catastrophy but I am sorry for your loss.

I think it'd make a "ballin" sawed off whizzum...bet all the gangstars in the neighbourhood would fear him.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd call Winchester and chew some a$$ and demand they stand behind their product. The layout of the stock through the grip is clearly upside down. It's a text book example how NOT to layout a stock. NEVER EVER!! Winchester should replace your stock and include a letter apologizing for their incompetence and promise to train their employees to NEVER layout a stock like this again. It's surprising to see how many stocks get built upside down. The first lesson for a stockmaker should be how to choose a good piece of wood and how to layout it correctly. Think of all the time wasted making the stock in the picture when they could have done it right the first time.

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Geeeeeeezuz I'm sorry to hear that. At least you are alright.

I usually take at least one good fall every season. Bloody steep wet slippery hills chasing Sambar. I keep going back for some strange reason lol wink

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, so sorry, that sure was a pretty stock. If it were me I'd be going after a McWoody. With the Christmas sell that RickBin has on right now it would be the most cost effective way to replace it. I figure wood as good as the one you broke will run you well over the cost of a new McWoody or McEdge if you want to save weight.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dude.... sorry about that.....

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by US_Patriot

Earlier today I was scouting around hog areas. And on my way back I was coming down a very steep trail. I slipped and took a big spill. Me and my rifle went down and crashed hard.

I broke my favorite Model 70. I feel very very sick.
Now I will have to start looking to replace the stock with some super nice wood or with a Hunters Edge.

Your suggestions are welcome.

One - it can be repaired, but it won't be cheap.. Two - you can obtain a replacement from Winchester for about $550.. Yours is the later SG model and they have a few stocks left.. Good thing it's not an earlier SG because those stocks are history..

1-800-322-4626, XT 2863 (Win. parts line)..

I'd go with Redneck on this one.

In addition to that get a McMillan. If the wood means so much to you and there's the chance of you taking anymore spills, you should have two stocks: One for work, one for looks.

What about guns?When do we get guns?
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 52 invisible), 2,954 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,970
Posts18,519,688
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.