Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Well.. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, especially on Christmas Eve, but have you seen the NM hunting proclamation? You can view it online. Non resident hunters will take a big hit this year. I already knew that they were going to only 6% of tags alloted to NR's without a guide and a $100 general license beforwe you can even apply for a license.
The real deal breaker though is that NR's cannot even apply for a cow elk tag. They ALL go to the locals. WTF!!! It's hard enough to draw a bull tag so thats what I usually put in for. CANT APPLY AT ALL!! Have been hunting a place only 70 miles from home for over 40yrs and now can't go at all. Just sick over it. Guess I'll have to get used to that 1K mile drive to WY.
Well done with my rant now... Wish you all a Merry Christmas..
John

GB1

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I would agree this was not a good move. Most residents were looking for 10% to 15% of all tags to NR. and eliminate the outfitter tags. A few sportsmans/outfitter groups got involved and SB196 morphed into what we got.

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Where do the Landowner Authorization permits stand now? Can they still be had by non residents?

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm giving up on NM for prime mule deer units.

Life's too short.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have applied for nine years (i think) and never got drawn.
Gave up ever drawing one in my life time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, blame it all on no one but me.

I am your fault, Scopey58.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I hope you are sure on that "Ranch Tag" situation. Sounds like the OP had the same setup. I'll have to go and find that proclamation and see for myself.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
not sure just what you mean..
John

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
scopey,
The way SB196 reads is that residents get more big game tags, from 78% to 845.
6% of elk tags reserved for are by law that need a guide no matter is you are a resident or non-resident.
10% of elk tags go to state managed areas where a guide can either be hired or not. They took away elk tags set aside for guides - smiliar to Montana last year.

The way I read it, is if you get a Ranchowner tag I don't see where that is mentioned in SB 196. It sounded my your description that you hunt on private property and therefore would fall under the ranchowner or landowner tag.
If anyone has a different interpretation, I'll certainly be watching for it.
Here is the link to a good summation.

http://www.nmwildlife.org/index.php/getinvolved/[/url]

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Heading out for church and family stuff. I'll check back here tomorrow as time allows. Merry Christmas to all us non-resident hunters! Bah! Humbug! cry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems like if you want to hunt elk in New Mexico the best thing to do would be to move there!!!

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
bigwhoop,
I have hunted public land for most of my 40 yrs in NM and exclusively for the last 6 or 7 yrs. Mostly the Lincoln Natl forest. Have someone I know who has landowner tags, they are "ranch only". This year he sold several bull and either sex tags, both archery and rifle. He has numerous game cameras on the place and admitted to me that on the archery hunt there probably wasn't an elk on the place..Not saying that all hunts are like this because I know there are some really good places. Many, however require you to go through their outfitter witch I can't afford. Want to hunt DIY public land. Just sayin, that my options have just become much more limited...Looks like things are headed towards either the rich or residents can hunt and the rest stay home..
John

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hunted NM 09-10 for Elk this year Mule deer. The future looks like Co and or Wyoming. Will investigate LO tags for sure, hunting just got more expensive for all wishing to hunt as a NR.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
scopey,
The way SB196 reads is that residents get more big game tags, from 78% to 845.
6% of elk tags reserved for are by law that need a guide no matter is you are a resident or non-resident.
10% of elk tags go to state managed areas where a guide can either be hired or not. They took away elk tags set aside for guides - smiliar to Montana last year.The way I read it, is if you get a Ranchowner tag I don't see where that is mentioned in SB 196. It sounded my your description that you hunt on private property and therefore would fall under the ranchowner or landowner tag.
If anyone has a different interpretation, I'll certainly be watching for it.
Here is the link to a good summation.

http://www.nmwildlife.org/index.php/getinvolved/[/url]

That is not true, 6% go to DIY NR, 10% go to anyone signed with an outfitter.
Edit to add; NR. can no longer apply for state owned wildlife areas.

Last edited by SLM; 12/24/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Snopey58, don't come grousing around where I live complaining. There isn't a day that hasn't gone by I have tried to help NR hunters out in these mountains 70 miles north of you. 110 % for free, here is a cup of hot coffee a subsandwich, just keep the big city, better then though attitude down in elpaso. And the only elk tag ever to grace the treshold of our house in all the years we as a family have put in as New Mexico resident hunters was my wife's late season depredition cow elk tag.

If you've been coming up here hunting and enjoying the luxury of previous NR status, You might want to try being a resident big game hunter...then you will know what getting 'screwed' is all about.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Was her tag a draw tag, or a depredation hunt?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Last year it was my intention to play the Valles Caldera lotto. Figure I'd give them several hundred dollars. After I gave my first 100, I saw how stacked the odds were if you didn't have an outfitter and wanted to DIY. Even I won't play againest those odds. As gorgeous as NM is, I'm going to have to wait until I hit a real lottery and hunt Ted Turner's ranch in hunt NM.

Last edited by Lee_Woiteshek; 12/25/11. Reason: typo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Apply in Arizona. You won't draw a tag and they won't refund your general hunting license money when you don't draw.

Merry Christmas.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Want to talk about not fair, a NR has the same odds as me for Ibex,both species of big horn and oryx. Some years ALL of our big horn tags go to NR hunters.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 67 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,674
Posts18,513,231
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.