Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Without taking out a second mortgage, what's the best of the FALS out there now?

Unreconstructed to the End.
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
An STG58 from DSA, I have a 16in Para on order. You don't get the aluminum lower like you do with the DSA built guns, but it is hundreds less. I had a rack grade STG58 with an Enterprise reciever that was an MOA rifle with a 4X scope. I only sold it because of the guns excessive LOP, that's why I'm getting a para since that stock is easy to shorten.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What TAK said; or the Imbel FAL from DSA. Pretty much, if DSA makes a FAL, it's built right. The FAL is IMO THE .308 battle rifle to have, it's much better than the M14/M1A.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Much Better than an M1A? Oh my!

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I stand by that one. The US had to fix the competition for the M14 to win against the FAL. And which other NATO nations bought the M14? And who bought the FAL?

Don't get me wrong, I'm most certainly not saying the M14 is a bad rifle, it's a great rifle. But the FAL just clearly out-classes it in damn near every category. Balance, handling, reliability, accuracy...yep, I went there; accuracy. Until you properly bed an M14 the FAL will typically shoot anywhere from .5-1.0 MOA better groups than the M14 (not that it much matters, they both have accuracy quite sufficient for most any job you could throw at them.)

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
DSA for sure.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Another vote for DSA. Great product and customer service. Had a FAL from them years ago and wish I'd kept it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, DSA is no longer listing Imbel rifles on their website:

http://www.dsarms.com/FAL%20Imbel%20Rifle/products/208/

I liked the idea of having an FAL for a long time. I grew less enthused when I saw some owner surveys, where only about half of their owners said they'd do less than 2.5 MOA.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

I liked the idea of having an FAL for a long time. I grew less enthused when I saw some owner surveys, where only about half of their owners said they'd do less than 2.5 MOA.
Well, first off consider that 2.5 MOA will give you solid hits out to 700 yards, which is the pracitical limit of the .308.

But for those who are claiming 2.5MOA I'd inquire as to which ammo they're using. Seems every time I feed a FAL good match ammo, it's tickling the 1MOA mark; slightly over, or slightly under.

Keep in mind that a non-match M1A typically won't out-shoot a rack grade FAL.

And keep in mind the DSA STG-58's and Imbels are milsurp kit guns. Your typical military FAL will often have damage to the crown due to careless cleaning by conscripted soldiers. I don't believe DSA re-crowns the barrels on those guns before they go together. So a quick re-crown job and those guns are typically comfortably under 2MOA.

For a combat rifle, 2-2.5 MOA is more than sufficient for anything you could ask of your weapon. Many will require more, but I tend to think they're either bench shooters or wannabe snipers. Often you'll see guys turning to the AR-10 variants for that extra accuracy; which is fine (and even makes some sense) if it's a range toy. But the AR-10 variants (with the exception of the one's currently in use by the US military) are NOT combat rifles.

I just think American shooters place way too much demand on accuracy, often at the expense of reliability.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kevin that last post might hold too much truth for the general public.

Richard

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

Well, first off consider that 2.5 MOA will give you solid hits out to 700 yards, which is the pracitical limit of the .308.

But for those who are claiming 2.5MOA I'd inquire as to which ammo they're using. Seems every time I feed a FAL good match ammo, it's tickling the 1MOA mark; slightly over, or slightly under.

And keep in mind the DSA STG-58's and Imbels are milsurp kit guns. Your typical military FAL will often have damage to the crown due to careless cleaning by conscripted soldiers. I don't believe DSA re-crowns the barrels on those guns before they go together. So a quick re-crown job and those guns are typically comfortably under 2MOA.

For a combat rifle, 2-2.5 MOA is more than sufficient for anything you could ask of your weapon. Many will require more, but I tend to think they're either bench shooters or wannabe snipers. Often you'll see guys turning to the AR-10 variants for that extra accuracy; which is fine (and even makes some sense) if it's a range toy. But the AR-10 variants (with the exception of the one's currently in use by the US military) are NOT combat rifles.

I just think American shooters place way too much demand on accuracy, often at the expense of reliability.

You Sir, know exactly what you are talking about, well said. 2.0 MOA was the standard for F1 (FAL) rifles here in the Australian military. The best thing about the .308W is that you can shoot through stuff. You can also use the F1 as a decent club, not always possible with a plastic fantastic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Started a second thread before I saw this one

DS Arms STG58 FAL .308

Whats the word on these? Metric receiver, DSA has a good rep, I think?

Fair price would be $1000?

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Build your own.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"A man has got to know his limitations"

Sharpening a knife is at the outer edge of my metal working skills. blush

Best case scenario, I'd have $600 in parts, $400 in tools, and a rifle assembled by an absolute rookie.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
No, about $100 in tools. Get a kit, a receiver, the U.S. parts and you are good to go. Check the gunsmithing section over on falfiles.com.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

what makes an AR 10 not a combat rifle, not trying to be smart allick, but a serious question, also what about the one the military is using make them one. I do know the AR 10 was the original design and other people came up with the 223 idea and scaled it down after stoner.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have an Imbel FAL, and it shoots quite a bit poorer than my unbedded LRB M14SA, even before my gunsmith unitized the gas system. The 11 pound trigger might have something to do with it, and there isn't much that can be done to alleviate that, and that's coming from an AMU armorer who tried. Don't get me wrong, I like my FAL, but given the choice, I'll go with the M14. Better sights, better trigger, dual acting op rod, and ability to mount optics are just a few things that I personally find better on the M14 type firearms. The FAL has somewhat better ergonomics, and a better field strip/cleaning procedure, IOW from the breech as opposed to from the muzzle, but from my experience in owning/shooting both types, I'll pick the M14 style every time.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
optics are easy to mount on a fal.
slide the dustcover off and slide a dustcover mount back on.
there are a few out there, and are real tight to get on and off.

here's my all imbel para i built some years ago.
i sand blasted every part, and used high tempt barbque paint.
baked it in the over at 400 degrees for 3 hours.
been a ruff tuff finish for a long time.
even rode for years in my rig up truck.
the paint did wear on the f/h, but a touch up was all it needed.
it has a schneider machine folding charging handle now.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by splattermatic; 01/02/12.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I know, I have one. I would have to say that the M14 has an easier style to mount in the Basset/Sadlak/Brookfield type. When I placed the DSA scope mount/cover on my FAL, it required that I mod the rear sight, or remove it completely, depending upon style of sight (L1A1 or SA58) to avoid interfering with the scope mount/dust cover. Not necessary in the M14.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always have liked the looks of the FAL; to me it's the only pretty black rifle grin

There are some functional advantages with the FAL where I can agree with Kevin, but the odds of me needing to fire 500 rounds at an invading horde, without cleaning, with any old ammo laying around, is rather remote.

My AR-10's 16" upper has easily done 1.5 MOA or better with factory match loads, and it weighs a bit less than most FAL's (9 lbs w/o scope). The guys at falfiles are the ones who stated 2.5MOA average; presumably they are FAL enthusiasts and would try to wring the best out of their rifles, via ammo or tuning.

As much as I want to like it, it will cost me $1000+ to get it shooting maybe as well as something I already have. I'm having a hard time getting so motivated frown

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 59 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.