Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
dhg Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'll be spening a year in Calgary with work (where i'll be working very hard to convince my Mrs to stay!). I'd appreciate some help with the hunting options. I'm particularly keen to head north and find myself a moose, but am keen to hear what folks think the best hunting options are in the region (BC would also be on the agenda and i could be very easily talked into heading up further north). It appears as a non-resident i'll have to go with a guide - so recommendations would be appreciated. Calibre recommendations? (I was planning on carting a 6.5x.284 and 8x57, maybe a 9.3x62 if folks thought it was warranted.) I'm also a keen flyfisherman (and will do some travelling with my brother who is a professional guide), so some pointers on the fishery would be appreciated. Cheers

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Being in Calgary you will have lots of options. WRT flyfishing first: the Bow River flows right through the city with some great access. As well there is lots of access outside the city. There are a number of other excellent trout rivers/streams within easy evening or day trip distance.

Your hunting options are also pretty good. You may not need a pro guide as Alberta has what is called the Hunter Host program. In a nutshell, you pay the non-res tag cost but a close friend or family member who is an Alberta resident can take you hunting provided that NO MONEY changes hands. If your brother is an Alberta resident that would be the easiest option as a Hunter Host. There is a bit more to it than that but it is a simple proccess. You will only be able to hunt with over the counter tags so moose may not be possible as they are a draw tag in most WMU. There are some great OTC deer and elk options though. Hope this helps get you started.
Enjoy Alberta!
Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
troutfly;
I was hoping that you'd see this post and chime in with some of your usual fine advice. Thank you for doing so.

What I know about hunting in your province could be written on a postage stamp - and I am aware that they are some sort of plastic now and resist being written upon. laugh

Since the OP asked about BC, I'll only say that fishing is very doable but rather costly for out of province folks. Hunting is again a guided proposition for non-residents and though we do have a bit of a loophole for Canadian residents to be guided by locals I am given to understand it's restricted to certain animals. No grizzly or sheep as I recall it at this pre-caffinated state.

All the best of the Christmas season to you and yours Jeff.

Dwayne

PS;
To the OP, if you do come across the big hills into our part of the world, by all means give me a shout and I'll try to help you find what is worth seeing and or doing in our part of the world.......world class powder skiing - wine tours - you know that sort of thing. wink

Welcome to Canada and Merry Christmas to you.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good evening Dwayne,
I'm happy to help out when I can. As you know, like most parts of Canada, Alberta offers great outdoor opportunities. It happens to be the province my family and I chose when it came time to settle down.
I think Alberta is fairly unique in our Hunter Host program. I know some folks are not fond of it, mainly outfitters but some residents as well, I like the idea. It gives folks from outside the province a chance to hunt with bonafide friends/family. Provided folks play by the rules it is a great program IMHO.
While we have fantastic fishing here, it pains me to admit you might have it a bit better in BC. That dosen't stop me from promoting AB fly tying/fishing, esp through my monthly fly tying column.
To the OP, if you need any info you can PM me. Might take a few days to get back to you as I work shifts but I will reply. Lots of knowledgable Albertans hang out here at the "Fire.
Merry Christmas all and a safe holiday season too.
Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alberta is awesome your going to have a very fun year,good luck and take lots of pictures.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
IC B2

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
troutfly you have pretty much covered the bases. GRF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by GRF
troutfly you have pretty much covered the bases. GRF

Thanks. I think the HH is a pretty good program for allowing friends/family to get out together. As long as people don't abuse it at least.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Follow the hunting and fishing links, they should help you out. Where are you relocating from?

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Default.aspx

Last edited by Duk Dog; 12/17/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome to Alberta and remember it's like Texas- everything is bigger and better here, try some grade 1-- Alberta beef or some clover fed elk. Check out lake Louise and some of the sking or snowmobiling.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I can tell you that up in WMU 525 there's some incredible hunting. I'd say the best in North America. It's a bit of a drive from Calgary but you can rent a cabin for $20/day and stay there for a week. You'll never find larger or more plentiful animals or more amenable hunting conditions.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I know a really skookum spot in Alberta to fly fish for Pike...... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You mentioned bringing a bunch of rifles, and hunting big game, that 's a good idea. But also consider the bird hunting. Very good opportunities for huns, some sharp tails and pheasant, some forest grouse, and generally abundant and uncrowded waterfowl hunting is not too far from Calgary. If you are staying more than 6 months, you can qualify for resident status in BC and Saskatchewan, not sure about Alberta but is is likely the same so you should look into that. Resident hunters enjoy a lot of low cost opportunities. Good luck!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We lived in Calgary from 2004 to 2009 and enjoyed it thoroughly though the last winter was about it for us. Frankly, my winters in Kazakhstan are more pleasant. Good people there for sure. Fishing on the Bow is good. As I was busy as hell with work I only managed two hunts while there. One for black bear in Alberta and another for moose, elk and mountain caribou in NE BC. Hikes in Kananaskis just outside Calgary are great. There is a small public rifle range there as well. Read up on bringing in your firearms at the govt CFC website. It is very good, very thorough on what is allowed to import, paperwork reuired, etc. There is a lot to digest and understand. I brought a significant number of long guns and handguns up, all of my handloading equipment and supplies with no issue. Some I had to leave in the US as they were illegal for me to own there. You will have to take a firearms safety course or two if handguns are in the mix. You will also need to join a shooting club if handguns are in the mix. Can't own them unless you are a member of a club (with minor exceptions). You will also have to have someone, a licensed "verifier", visit your home and "verify" the guns you brought up against the registration paperwork you completed. As I said read up, many times, the details on the website. If you are bringing a vehicle or two do not let the border guys try to convince you that you are importing. They want import $$$. There is a place on the paperwork for vehicle "temporary" importation that waives all of this including the $200 (IIRC) air-conditioing tax they want to collect. We educated the border guys three times as we bought US vehicles while we were living there. We taught them frankly... Note that there are some fine guns to be found up there that are hard to find in the US. I bought and sold many and kept seven that I imported back to the US without issue. Again, some BATFE paperwork was all that was required. Lastly, you will need the US Form 4457 (same one you use to to leave the US with firearms to hunt in Canada, Africa, etc.) for your firearms that you bring up so you can bring them back without issue. Any question please feel free to PM me.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
one note, on Tony's excellent post, Canada's long gun registry will be dead in Jan or Feb 2012 so if you are importing standard hunting rifles or shotguns, that is one less impediment to the activity.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Lots of hunting and fishing opportunities in the Calgary area.

You will be hard pressed to find better fly fishing than floating the bow. Best bet is to hire A guide for a day to learn the tips and tricks and greatly shorten your learning curve. Then head out on your own after that.

Being a non-Resident alien somewhat limits the Wildlife Management Units you can hunt. Your goal of shooting a moose should be quite attainable.

I live about 2 hours south of Calgary. Feel free to send me a PM if I can help you out with anything else.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by castnblast
one note, on Tony's excellent post, Canada's long gun registry will be dead in Jan or Feb 2012 so if you are importing standard hunting rifles or shotguns, that is one less impediment to the activity.

Finally. Good news indeed.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yes Tony we are all rather excited about its demise. GRF

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GRF

GRF;
I was going to comment on your typical Canadian understatement and then saw that you'd posted it twice - so obviously you were pretty exited about it after all. wink

Personally I'm holding my breath until it passes - skeptical Saskatchewan stock that I come from I suppose?

I must admit though that there is a list being started of celebratory gun purchases that are to happen in the event of it all going well. grin

All the best to you and yours in 2012 sir.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 12/27/11. Reason: added info

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yes Dwayne you are correct I am a wee bit excited. I have a list of purchases and I am thinking of selling my handguns. I did not own handguns for years as the paperwork was a pain in the butt, once we had to register our long guns I figured what the heck I might as well have short guns too as the paperwork is not that different.

The best to you and yours in 2012 as well sir. GRF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,740
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.