Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I am looking at a Winchester Extreme Weather in 270 WSM., but have come across something that I am not to sure about.

The EW is supposed to be built by FN in South Carolina, however, this gun says Olin Corp on one side and built in the USA. BACO Inc, Morgan Utah.

I have heard a lot about the questionable QA on Winchesters in their last few years of life up to 2006 and do not want to take a chance.

However, it is not in their 2006 catalogue, but I see it on their 2008 and newer cat. It looks like the new FN models, action is smooth and has the same lines and shape as the ones in the catalogue. I cannot find anything that says B&C on the exterior of the stock though.

And of course the serial numbers are not to be found on line to check build date.

Did Browning make this gun and is there anything I should look for??

Thanks

Cheers

SS

If you shoot it on your own, they will cook it
If you don't, they will feed you something they shot.
Which is like having another man change your tire on your truck, NOT GOOD
HR IC

J
Online Content
J
Hi Sitkaspruce,

From your description, that is indeed a South Carolina based, FN made Winchester. Confusing, I know, since it says Utah & not South Carolina (unlike the New Haven guns, which actually say "New Haven, Conn USA" on the barrel (at least the one I have)).

Rather than repeating what has been said by other folks more knowledgable than myself, take a look at this thread. This should help clarify things for you:

BACO & SC / FN Winchesters

Hope this helps.

-Jonathan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Baco= browning arms Co. model 70 LOL

1 and done
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I think the old Extreme Weather models from Winchester Olin had checkering on the synthetic stock which I really liked better than the non-checkered blocky B&C stock on the new South Carolina models, I would be wary of the rifle build if it did come out of New Haven though...........Good luck...........Hb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce
I am looking at a Winchester Extreme Weather in 270 WSM., but have come across something that I am not to sure about.

The EW is supposed to be built by FN in South Carolina, however, this gun says Olin Corp on one side and built in the USA. BACO Inc, Morgan Utah.

I have heard a lot about the questionable QA on Winchesters in their last few years of life up to 2006 and do not want to take a chance.

However, it is not in their 2006 catalogue, but I see it on their 2008 and newer cat. It looks like the new FN models, action is smooth and has the same lines and shape as the ones in the catalogue. I cannot find anything that says B&C on the exterior of the stock though.

And of course the serial numbers are not to be found on line to check build date.

Did Browning make this gun and is there anything I should look for??

Thanks

Cheers

SS

That rifle is 2008 or newer made by FN at the SC plant. Give us some more info and maybe we could steer you in the right direction. How much is it? Does it have the moa trigger and fluted barrel? If it is used but in good condition you will be looking at paying around $800.00 for it. They are great rifles and known for being very accurate.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks Guys

Yes it is fluted, has the textured stock (no checkering)smooth action (much more so than my old 270 fwt and 300 rum Classic) and Packmayr Recoil pad.

I just read the link that Jonathan posted and that helps explain a lot.

Now that I have read that post, and looked back at the catalogues, I do believe that is is a new FN M70.

Price is $1000 Canadian, right out of the box, no scope mounted and no rounds down the barrel.

Will hopefully be picking it up later this week and mounting a Zeiss 3x9 on her.

Cheers

SS

If you shoot it on your own, they will cook it
If you don't, they will feed you something they shot.
Which is like having another man change your tire on your truck, NOT GOOD
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Without checking my Extreme Weather, I think it says something about the Winchester trademark being licensed from Olin. If it has the B.A.C.O. and MOA trigger its a new FN gun.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 41 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,851
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.