Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Couple o' 308's would work fine... If you want an elk rifle then by all means buy one... I would vote a vanilla Remington 700 in 338 and a 3-9 vx2 in talleys and go forth.. pimp it with a stock if you like...

Wild side roll up a Remington 700 classic in 350 rem mag, maybe a TI handle and tie your hat on... Leupold 6x36..
That is a 300 yard elk gun if there ever was one..... JMO

Could not find where you said if you handloaded or not... If not I begrudgingly vote 338........

W

Last edited by woofer; 12/28/11.

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Elkyri
I want to be prepared when that happens ...

with shots limited to ranges of 300 yards and less because of my self-imposed limits...

I'm not particularly recoil sensitive but don't care to have any more than is necessary to the task at hand...

On the other hand, I don't want something so light that penetration and tissue destruction at 300 yards would be considered marginal...

I suppose you might say I'm looking for "efficiency" in the cartridge choice.

What cartridge would you select as ideal for the chambering in this rifle? What scope would you put on it? What off-the-shelf rifle would you select?

First off, welcome!

If you truly want to be "prepared", spend a lot more time on physical conditioning, scouting, and shooting from field positions, and a lot less time worrying about what rifle or scope you use.

I'm firmly in the camp of those saying your Swede &/or .308's are well-suited to the task. You talk about penetration at 300 yards, and those cartridges will do just fine. As for efficiency, those cartridges are near the top of the heap.

If you wanted to explore the "ideal" part of things, you could poke a bigger hole with a .338 Fed or a .35 Whelen or .358 Win. A .300 WM or .338 WM would be an excellent choice, but the difference they'll offer is generally seen at distances past your 300 yard self-imposed limit (which I think is excellent! Knowing your limits, that is...).

Choosing a rifle and/or scope is an extremely subjective & personal choice. When a rifle "fits", you'll know it. Handle as many as you can, & choose the one that speaks to you. Same with scopes: look through a ton, & buy what YOUR eyes tell you. For 300 yards, I'd imagine anything from a straight 4x to a standard 3-9x40 would be plenty, but you may like something else. That's totally OK: you're out to please your eyes, not mine. smile

So, if one of your current rifles in 6.5x55 or above comes to your shoulder like lightning, points like a dream, has a trigger break that makes you giggle, and drops anything in its path lickety-split, then you've got your "ideal" elk rifle.

Remember, comfort breeds confidence, and confidence kills more elk than cartridge headstamps, or rifle/scope brands/models.

And before I forget, it's a requirement around here that you post pics of your elk.

Good Luck,

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Elkyri, Welcome to the Campfire!

Thanks for that, Mule Deer. Very happy to be here.

Since you're an experienced shooter and hunter, what rifles do you already have?

- far more rimfires than any one person needs;
- too many .223s;
- 6.5 Swede
- .30-30
- a couple of .308s

If one of those .308s is light and accurate, stoke it with 168TTSXs, and rock on.

+1.....if that bullet doesn't shoot, try 165 AccuBond's or 180's. Nothing will make an elk any deader out to 300 yards than what you already have...I'm not guessing....grin!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

This old, mature 6X6 bull was killed by one of my hunters with his .308 shooting 165gr AccuBonds at 292 yards.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
.270 x 150gr NP = Dead Elk.

Wrap an early Remington 700 around the bullet.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If I was going to tell you anything, it would be to pick a light rifle, like a Montana or a Tikka T3 Lite, and wrap it around whatever caliber suits your fancy from .270 Win up. I think a pretty good argument can be made for using a bullet .30 caliber or better. If you don't want any more recoil than necessary, maybe a 300 WSM would work well. Other good caliber options would be the 325 WSM or the 338 Federal.

Just remember...the cartridge only has to be 'adequate', but you are going to be carrying that rifle a whole lot more than shooting it, so try to keep the rifle as light as possible.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
gun:tikka
chambered: 30-06/300WM,
bullet: nosler partitions/barnes triple shock 180/200 grain
scope: burris eliminator, ziess, luepold.

remember hunting elk is an expensive endeavor for an out of state person, DONT GO CHEAP ON BULLETS!

6mm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
30-06 - 280 Remington - or 300 WSM

Nosler Partitions or Accubonds

Ruger Hawkeye, Tikka, Winchester Model 70, or Remington 700 (last)

6x42mm or 6x36mm Leupold or 2.5-8x36mm Leupold

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Like I said.....lotsa "right" answers smile

I would want something under 8 pounds (so you can lug it around in elk country) and that doesn't kick you into next week,(because it's easier to be precise if recoil is not excessive),yet is fully up to the job.

For me it would be a M70 chambered for 7 Rem Mag or 7mm Mashburn (in a wildcat).I would shoot a good 150-175 gr bullet.

I know the OP said he doesn't want an "all around" rifle and cartridge, but it's hard to get past the fact that if it works on elk, it'll work on lots of other animals as well.

For a scope, for elk, I'd be content with about anything from a fixed 4X or 6X to a midrange variable topping out at 9-10x.They are large animals and it isn't hard to put a shot on the button at any reasonable distance.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

This old, mature 6X6 bull was killed by one of my hunters with his .308 shooting 165gr AccuBonds at 292 yards.

How does one become one of your hunters, sir? Did that fellow bring that hat with him? It is nearly badass as his rifle and scope! grin

To the OP: there is no box. So, get a .257 Weatherby Magnum in an Accumark, mount a Leupold 3.5-10x40 LRT M1, practice a lot and then go someplace you can find an elk like the one in this picture.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would look very closely at the Tikka T3 or T3 Lite in .300 WSM.

http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?hunter

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'll tell you what has worked for me for the last 16 elk I have harvested. It has been a model 70 (pre 64) with a Shilen stainless steel barrel laid in a Brown Precesion fiberglass stock. The glass on top is a Leupold 2.5 x 8. Of course your gun could be a 30-06, 7MM etc. caliber. If you are a reloader the bullet selection is much easier that the gun. Use a Nosler Partition and don't look back.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Thanks for the welcome and for the suggestions, guys. Looks like the .30-06 is the favorite, as it has been for years.

Originally Posted by K_Salonek
It would be hard to go out and buy an -06 just to park it next to a .308.

Yeah, that. What has me considering starting from scratch with a new rifle dedicated to elk was uncertainty about how that 165 grain bullet from a .308 would do on elk at 300 yards. That had me thinking of bumping up to 180 grains which had me thinking that something with more MV than the .308 might be a better choice.

The .30-06 is a step up, but it's only a little step and not sure it's worth taking... which had me wondering whether to stand pat or go for a new rifle. It's looking like consensus is that the 165 grain 180 grain both will be good choices in the .308 if I decide to stick with my old standby.

Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
A .300 WM or .338 WM would be an excellent choice, but the difference they'll offer is generally seen at distances past your 300 yard self-imposed limit (which I think is excellent! Knowing your limits, that is...).

Thanks for that. I sight in for MPBR and try to limit my shots to ranges within that envelope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Winchester M70 EW (Extreme Weather- stainless/sythetic stock) Zeiss 3x9x40 from Doug at Cameraland in Talley Lightweight mounts
30-06
300 Win Mag
300WSM
270WSM

Any of those calibers would be my reccomendation. Personally I like the 30-06, then the 270, but I'm an old fart trapped in a 30yr old's body.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you wish to go light weight, the Kimber Montana in 30-06 or 270 would be great, again talley lightweights, but maybe a FX3 6x

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
Hunting will be in northern Arizona with shots limited to ranges of 300 yards and less because of my self-imposed limits. ... This won't be a custom build -- it's going to be an off-the-shelf factory rifle so the recommended chamberings should be something currently offered by major manufacturers. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive but don't care to have any more than is necessary to the task at hand. On the other hand, I don't want something so light that penetration and tissue destruction at 300 yards would be considered marginal. I suppose you might say I'm looking for "efficiency" in the cartridge choice.

What cartridge would you select as ideal for the chambering in this rifle? What scope would you put on it? What off-the-shelf rifle would you select?

1. quality bolt action in 30-06
2. Leupold FX3 6x42mm
3. Tikka T3 Lite stainless

Like this:

[Linked Image]

Weatherby Vanguard Back Country
Leupold FX3 6x42
.30-06
Handloaded 180 gr. Nosler Partitions

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Elkyri, The elk wont know which head stamp is on your brass, if one of your 308s is lite enough to carry in the hills you're done.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Don't doubt your .308. This nice 6X6 was taken by a good friend at 488 yards with a .308. Hit broadside through both lungs, he never made it 10 feet. We waited for three hours for him to stand up. Finally he got up to stretch and change positions. I'll never forget how he looked when he stood there in the bright sunlight before the shot.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the welcome and for the suggestions, guys. Looks like the .30-06 is the favorite, as it has been for years.

Originally Posted by K_Salonek
It would be hard to go out and buy an -06 just to park it next to a .308.

Yeah, that. What has me considering starting from scratch with a new rifle dedicated to elk was uncertainty about how that 165 grain bullet from a .308 would do on elk at 300 yards. That had me thinking of bumping up to 180 grains which had me thinking that something with more MV than the .308 might be a better choice.

The .30-06 is a step up, but it's only a little step and not sure it's worth taking... which had me wondering whether to stand pat or go for a new rifle. It's looking like consensus is that the 165 grain 180 grain both will be good choices in the .308 if I decide to stick with my old standby.

Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
A .300 WM or .338 WM would be an excellent choice, but the difference they'll offer is generally seen at distances past your 300 yard self-imposed limit (which I think is excellent! Knowing your limits, that is...).

Thanks for that. I sight in for MPBR and try to limit my shots to ranges within that envelope.

The 30-06 is only a step up if you are a handloader really. Most factory 30-06 loads are pretty much the same as a .308 velocity wise, talking factory ammo.

And I have seen elk drop like lightning from 150's in a 30-06, ballistic tips smile

Sean
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

How does one become one of your hunters, sir? Did that fellow bring that hat with him? It is nearly badass as his rifle and scope! grin

To the OP: there is no box. So, get a .257 Weatherby Magnum in an Accumark, mount a Leupold 3.5-10x40 LRT M1, practice a lot and then go someplace you can find an elk like the one in this picture.

That hat does demonstrate a bit of sartorial splendor, doesn't it!

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,396 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,941
Posts18,480,095
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.