Hop To
#5979927 12/30/11
A
AH64guy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Anybody on here reload or shoot the .577 Snider? I have an Enfield conversion, non-Nepal, that I'd like to test out for accuracy.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't say I reload for one but I did get to shoot a .577 Snider in a Martini a few weeks ago.
Great fun!!!

The original international turd
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I also have a Snider Enfield. There are a hoot! Look for info on British Militaria Forums. The site seems a bit unstable and I have to try a few times to get on it but once you're there there are several fans of the .577 Snider, the 450/577 MH and others. There's lots of reloading info and reciepes on that site.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have set up and loaded for a 577 using the CBC 24ga brass shotgun shells trimmed and sized to spec, Lee die set, a Lee 476gr Minie ball that started at .578 and ended up closer to .595/.600 to match the bore on the rifle. This required a die and punch(home made) for the CH Swage-o-matic to squeeze em up to bore dia. Lubed the bullet with a batch of Crisco and toilet ring wax, a charge of Green Dot, or TrailBoss, and they shot amazingly well. No fouling and case life is still to be determined. Trim length will have to be tuned to your chamber/bore dimensions.

Midway has the CBC 24ga cases for around $27 a box of25. See if you can find British Militaria Forums, in the reloading section they have some interesting data and techniques.

NRA Benefactor
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Back when I was in High School, about 1974 I had a Snider Carbine. (I think it was called a Mk II????) It was the only Snider not converted from an old Enfield ML.

I do not recommend this method, but I loaded ctgs for it using once fired 28 gauge shotshells trimed to length with my pocket knife. Punched out the old primer with a nail and seated a nre one with a piece of 1 x 4. Poured in about 60 grns of FFFG Black. And thumb seated a .575 lubricated Minie on top of it all.

Amazingly, they shot very well. But about 75% of the time the empties had to be extracted with same pocket knife (duh!). Seems that I had read the article in an old G&A annual about those Afridi tribesmen in Afghanistan who were into loading with cut up old celluloid movie film. Glad I didn't use that stuff...... Remember I was in Hi school at the time. And resources were limited!!!!

Bob N.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Back when I was in High School, about 1874 I had a Snider Carbine. (I think it was called a Mk II????) It was the only Snider not converted from an old Enfield ML.

I do not recommend this method, but I loaded ctgs for it using once fired 28 gauge shotshells trimed to length with my pocket knife. Punched out the old primer with a nail and seated a nre one with a piece of 1 x 4. Poured in about 60 grns of FFFG Black. And thumb seated a .575 lubricated Minie on top of it all.

Amazingly, they shot very well. But about 75% of the time the empties had to be extracted with same pocket knife (duh!). Seems that I had read the article in an old G&A annual about those Afridi tribesmen in Afghanistan who were into loading with cut up old celluloid movie film. Glad I didn't use that stuff...... Remember I was in Hi school at the time. And resources were limited!!!!

Bob N.

There, fixed it fer ya! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I thought you were classmates!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kk alaska
I thought you were classmates!

HEY, HEY, HEY!!! I was NICE to you in that other thread!
Even called you a gentleman!

Bob and I weren't classmates. I graduated LONG before he did! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,682
Posts18,513,435
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.