Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Jester Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J

Thanks for all the responses. I guess the axe is staying home (although I still think it's cool to have along).

I agree about the Gerber sliding blade being a POS. I picked up a 2-blade folder from Braindead recently. That's what I would plan to carry.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For antlered only hunts in Idaho, the antlers have to come out with the meat. I'm not about to pack a whole head out so a saw is a must.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Link to the company in Canada that makes the saw
http://www.trailblazerproducts.com
You can check around they go for 29. with wood blade they are about 9oz. and 15 inches long- Great little saw
For those in Montana Bob Wards has them sometime.

Just trying to return the favor to all that helped me over the years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Silky Saw- some fast cutting SOB's for such a small saw, out cuts my Sven saw and doesn't have the top support bar to get in the way. I take the folding BigBoy for moose camp for cutting wood not bone. A super fine might work on bone but I have not tried one. It has no problem zipping through 5-7" stuff.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The Silky Pocket Boy is very nice for a pack saw.

Ben's Backwoods sells the Bahco Laplander/Kershaw for a fair price-around $28.00.

It is much sturdier than the Gerber and cuts amazingly well

Blades are a little spendy [$18-22] but available.

http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=420

This is the best deal I have found on the 1# Estwing hatchet that I pack.

http://www.dynamitetoolco.com/Estwing-E14A-12-inch-Sportsmans-Axe-with-Sheath-p/est-e14a.htm

The 1 lb Kershaw hatchet is also rather nice. They both have steel handles which cuts down on breakage.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jodan
You can check around they go for 29. with wood blade they are about 9oz. and 15 inches long- Great little saw

I have the "Buck Saw"... honestly I can't recommend it. Not near as useful as a folding saw IMO.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As I mentioned, I have an older Gerber "Exchange-A-Blade" saw. The newer ones are pretty much junk from what I've heard.

IMO, and what I carried for years and will go back to when the Gerber gives up the ghost, is the inexpensive Colghan's Sierra Saw.

About as good as it gets...

http://www.coghlans.com/products/sierra-saw-8400

If I were going with the more expensive Bahco, I'd get the bigger tooth model:

http://www.bahcostore.com/item/396-jt?referer=folding-saws

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I always carry my Sven saw. It's bow saw that breaks down to one piece when not in use. I replaced the blade easily once after a few years of heavy use. Sometimes I carry my Fiskars axe, but always the saw.

Sucess only comes before work in the dictionary.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I carried a Sven Saw in the 70's. A bit heavy by today's standards, and a little less easy to use than a folder, but a good little saw!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My partner carries one of these folding saws by Stanley. The best part is that it uses standard reciprocating saw blades so you have a big choice of blades readily available. Standard length blades will fully retract but you can easily remove the longer ones if you don't want the point sticking out.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by KCBighorn

I did see a STIHL folding saw at a hardware store just recently that caught my eye. It was being marketed to Christmas tree hunters, but it looks a little more compact and lighter than the Gerber. Might have to pick one up.

This?
http://www.stihlusa.com/handtools/PS10-STIHL-Folding-Saw.html

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calvin

I did see a STIHL folding saw at a hardware store just recently that caught my eye. It was being marketed to Christmas tree hunters, but it looks a little more compact and lighter than the Gerber. Might have to pick one up.

This?
That one's the Sierra saw with a different name and a slight change in handle shape.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jodan

+ another one on the Sawvivor. I ALWAYS pack mine, with a wood blade, and bone blade. With both blades its around 11 Oz. Lately, I also pack a Gransfors Bruks small forest axe. Which isn't really an axe, and its too big to be a hatchet. It goes 9 Oz more than the little Gerber/Fiskars axe, but its a real axe smile

Jordan can tell you about all the dead standing lodgepole up the North Fork, I'm sure. a 4" round can be close to 100 years old, and can make a hydraulic log splitter grunt. Its against my mountain man standards to not utilize that fuel. I'm not burning a stove in a tent yet... and I like to drink 100 dollar a 5th whiskey around a fire in the middle of nowhere.

Any other NW Montana guys looking for a Sawvivor, hit up either one of the Army Navy stores in the Flathead. They stock them, and blades...

I like having an axe and saw around camp... I know that carrying 4 Lbs of axe and saw doesn't jive with the whole "backpacking light" theory. But I'm a hillbilly and refuse to be a statistic. I especially don't see a problem if there's two or more heading into a camp. I can ALWAYS make fire, ANY TIME with my saw/axe and Fireworks bag.

[Linked Image]
That was a pic taken on the way into "The Bob" We poled out whats in the truck to burn at the trailhead that night in about 10 minutes.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I had to run solo all the time, I'd just settle for twig fires and pack a GB sportsmans hatchet.

[Linked Image]

There was a few of these at Ed T's back country skills camp. Patrick said it was 11 oz. and they hit a helluva lot harder than you'd think.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by okhill
I always carry my Sven saw. It's bow saw that breaks down to one piece when not in use. I replaced the blade easily once after a few years of heavy use. Sometimes I carry my Fiskars axe, but always the saw.

I always take a Sven saw too. After you try one you'll throw all your folding saws out...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kcnboise
Originally Posted by okhill

I always take a Sven saw too. After you try one you'll throw all your folding saws out...

Not me...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago I had a folder that was sold in nurseries. Had a quality steel(maybe swedish) saw blade that cut amazingly fast and easy. Have not seen one like it since. Sven saws are really nice if you want a BIG fire.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used to have a Sven saw but it was pretty much useless for cutting off antlers. The angle between the back and the blade is so tight that you can't cut anything as large as a skull. Because of the tight angle, you only have a few inches of draw length on the blade. On larger wood, be prepared to bust your knuckles. The 21" version would be infinitely better than the 15" size but it still has the sharp angle that limits its use.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used a pile of saws over the last several years for cutting off antlers and wood for fire.

Have found the gerber pack saw the best compromise between size/weight/ and function for both sawing off antlers and bucking up firewood. Both wood and bone saws on the same saw. No building the saw or anything, just pull it out and get to sawing.

Probably will never haul along a hatchet on a backpacking trip, just doesn't serve my needs ever.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calvin

This?

That's the one.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

150 members (7887mm08, 160user, 35, AlanF, 300_savage, 14 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,329
Posts18,505,921
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.