Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
OP Offline
A
All:

Going to do my first western hunt next year (2012). I plan on going after antelope in Wyoming. I am planning on a rifle hunt with my Dad and one friend. So, we'll put in as a party.

A few questions:

1)I've found the unit map for 2011, will it change for 2012?
2)What units are recommended? (most public land & animals). I think I can choose 3 for my draw. We plan on camping in the area we hunt.
3)Is there a map of all public (BLM) land in Wyoming available online?
4) Any 'must-bring' items? I am thinking of course quality optics for glassing and a range finder.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1: prob not, but the 2012 map should be out now
3: No, not really. Grab an atlas that shows the whole state, or look at whether Wyoming considers the unit to have poor public access. But don't forget to look at Walk In Areas and Hunter Management Area options
4: Bipod. Forget about a spotting scope unless you are trophy hunting and/or don't already have one.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
3) The BLM used to sell a large map/index of the entire state. Not sure if they do anymore. I sent mine to a member in Canada who planned to hunt here. The phone number for the BLM office in Casper WY is 307-261-7600.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
VTi Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Altiman94

..... 4) Any 'must-bring' items? I am thinking of course quality optics for glassing and a range finder.

You're on the right track bringing the best quality optics you can afford. Bino's and rangefinder of course, but don't underestimate the importance of a good high magnification spotting scope. You'll easily spot herds with the binocular, but will want to field judge your trophy with a good spotter... it will save you much time stalking a herd only to find out the biggest buck is not quite what you're looking for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get a copy of the "Wyoming Atlas and Gazetteer". It is a map book that shows land ownership in enough detail to keep you out of trouble. You can draw in the boundary of your hunting area from the written description in the WY hunting regulations. You should also get copies of the BLM maps for your area.

Steve

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sbhva
Get a copy of the "Wyoming Atlas and Gazetteer". It is a map book that shows land ownership in enough detail to keep you out of trouble. You can draw in the boundary of your hunting area from the written description in the WY hunting regulations. You should also get copies of the BLM maps for your area.

not up to date

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
University of Wyoming used to have an interactive map that showed unit boundaries, land ownership, and even provided some limited info on the herd and hunting statistics. I tried the link yesterday and it stated that it is down due to lack of funding. Sure was a GREAT resource.

Though it doesn't have hunt unit boundaries, I've found this site to have some useful information:
http://www.geocommunicator.gov/GeoComm/

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I found shooting sticks of some sort to be an absolute necessity, wound up with a Bog Pod personally.

Be aware that the wind blows a lot, at least in the areas I hunted. If you are from one of the plains states it may not surprise you, if you are from back east you will be amazed.

WY does not allow any .22 cal to be used but most anything bigger is fine.

The WY Fish & Game has lists of land owners who will allow you to hunt for a fee, the ranch we hunted on was very reasonable.

BEWARE THE MUD!!

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
+1 to what Exbiologist said-Walk in areas and HMA's open a lot of land to the public. Finding a place to hunt antelope shouldn't be a problem. Usually if you don't mind walking you can expect better results. A quartered antelope is not that hard to carry in a good pack and a boned antelope is an easy load. A spotter is nice to have but spend your money on your trip if you don't have one-your bino's will work fine. Good luck, and Welcome to the 'fire!!

Golden............
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Look at the draw odds because most of the areas that look to have the most public land or best opportunities are hard if not impossible to draw. Look at the areas that have 100% or something close and then find an area that suits your needs the best.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (270wsmnutt, 260Remguy, 1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,129
Posts18,502,567
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.