Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
These are a couple of subjects from my scientific rod testing smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry for the less than ideal poses, but the subjects did not like posing on the snow. (kinda like a fish out of water...)

Fred

GB1

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have not tried and of the spinning rods but have a few of the casting rods and really like them.
These rods are designed by Gary Loomis. I have a local dealer that I purchase mine from but I think Cabelas and Bass Pro handles them also.

http://www.tforods.com/

Last edited by RNF; 12/28/11.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never caught trout much larger than 2 or 3 pounds, but I've caught a lot of Pink Salmon and smaller steelhead in the 3 to 8 pound range and do a lot of shad fishing where fish average 1 1/2 pounds to 3 pounds. The rivers I fish range from 25 yards to a half-mile wide with fairly swift current.

I prefer a longer rod than most have mentioned, usually an 8 foot rod. I like enough power in the butt to move fish away from snags with a sensitive/soft enough tip to cast light rigs and feel soft bites. The rigs I use are very light. Usually, its a #4 octopus hook with 3 feet of 6# leader, a snap swivel with no more than 1/2 oz of pencil lead clipped to it. Usually less weight than that.

My rod of choice is the G. Loomis Steelhead Series 8'2" Spinning rod rated at 6-10# test. This rod is the perfect bank rod for rivers because you can cast a country mile with light weight. There is enough butt to fight the fish with a soft enough tip to keep really light leaders from breaking. I often have to use really light fluorocarbon leaders because of clear water. This is also a great float rod for trout fishing. The length really helps keep the line off of the water and helps you mend your drifts for a good presentation.

What's also great about the rod is that its also a great spinner rod for fish in the 3 to 8 pound class. #2 and #3 size spinners are cake.

From a boat, the length is really that necessary. From the bank, it really helps. At $325, its not cheap though. I have mine with a Shimano Stradic 2500 reel with lots of line. Great drag and smooth drive.

A less expensive alternative is the G. Loomis Trout Series at $225. This rod is a foot shorter than the Steelhead Series rod. It would provide a bit more finesse. The Shimano Compre rods are also great rods and around $100. There are lots of lengths and actions in that line and they are great for the price. Just not as sensitive as the Steelhead or Trout series rods from G. Loomis.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BTW, I use the 7" ultra-light Shimano Clarus for the smaller 12 to 18 inch trout around here with 4# line. In current with an 18 inch cutthroat, its a bit over matched. The 7'6 Light action Clarus would be more appropriate. The 7 foot Shimano Compre Light-Medium isn't bad but its nearly bass-stiff in the tip. Makes a great smallmouth rod though. There are some new 8 foot offerings int he Compre line that would probably be pretty good.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
G Loomis GL3 783-2. 6' 6" rod with very nice features......Nice backbone with great sensitivity. I've caught numerous big rainbows with it and it's a great rod.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have fished BASS tournaments for twenty years and FLW for six and have not found a rod more sensative than a G-LOOMIS GLX. Now that Shimano has purchesed them I doubt that perfected performance will continue. That said my second choice would be a Shimano Cumara.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out Cortland Line Co. I have there 8 & 10 foot noodle rods and absolutely love them for light line and big fish. 20# Steelhead and 15# Browns are pretty common on 6# test for Kings up to 50# I jump up to 10# test. And there only $50

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IIRC, Shimano has owned G. Loomis for quite a while (since 97 or 98), several years. If there is a drop in quality of the GLX, I think we would have seen it by now. I may be wrong though.

Last edited by Dan360; 01/04/12.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well, after reading this post, I thought I would throw my hat in the ring. I used to exclusively fish G. Loomis, and I touted them to friends, strangers, anyone who would listen. I decided to try a St. Croix one season, the 6'9" medium light extra fast Legend Extreme. I can tell you that I now own one GLX, that I hold on to for nostalgia purposes and own 6 new Legend Extremes. I even played with Loomis' new NRX and didn't play with it too long. I would strongly advise going with a 7'0" Medium Light Fast action Legend Extreme. It will be your go to honey for many years. They are made in the Heartland too, right in Wisconsin. Tight lines!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I bass fish 1-3 days a week year round, except during deer season. I own close to 30 different rods from G Loomis, St. Croix, and Kistler. St. Croix's are one of the best value's out there. Hard to find anything better than a G. Loomis, and they price them as such.

Recently, I picked up a Temple Fork outfitters rod, made by Gary Loomis. Same guy that started G. Loomis years ago.
I have to say, this is easily the most sensitive, best feeling rod I've ever used in the $150.00 price range!
I'd rate the tactical series between the Loomis IMX, and GLX rods. Surperb craftmanship. Light as a feather, and balances well. I WILL be adding a few more of these to the rod locker of my Ranger...

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (Blueeagle, 35, Boarmaster123, blackhawk44, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,235
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.