Print Thread
Hop To
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
For those that care...

http://tarptent.com/notch.html#specs

I REALLY like the looks of the new Notch.

I was set on getting the Contrail for my next TT but I was alerted to the Notch on another forum... it makes a LOT of sense for a solo shelter.

The Contrail with optional pole is 26.5 oz's.
The Notch with optional poles is 30.0 oz's

Add another 6-ish ounces for a Tyvek ground cloth and Seam Sealing for each.

The Notch's extra 3.5 oz's strikes me as weight worth carrying for two vestibules/entrances and its more convenient design.

All Henry's stuff is USA Made and the quality and workmanship is outstanding.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks Brad

One of us needs to go, that's all I got to say.

I've too much crap in the garage now

VTi Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks Brad.

Do you happen to have any personal experience with any other model from Tarptent? I've been interested in this type of solo shelter, and have researched TT, but wonder about the durability and stability in windy regions. Not 4-season type stuff of course, but just general worse than average conditions for early/mid season backpack hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not bad at all for a double wall tent.
I see the Notch as a Moment that sets up with hiking poles, but with the advantage of the inner net tent. It has two vests and entrances too.

Much better choice than the Contrail....

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VTi
Thanks Brad.

Do you happen to have any personal experience with any other model from Tarptent? I've been interested in this type of solo shelter, and have researched TT, but wonder about the durability and stability in windy regions. Not 4-season type stuff of course, but just general worse than average conditions for early/mid season backpack hunting.

I had a Rainbow that I used last summer. A fellow member here on 24hr bought it from me.

The Rainbow handles wind and rain VERY well, including above timberline. My complaint was condensation and the single, small vestibule, as well as its weight.

I already have a Black Diamond "Firstlight" that is bombproof, is bigger than the Rainbow and doesn't have a condensation issue. Since the Rainbow and Firstlight are fairly close in weight, I decided to sell the Rainbow.

The Notch answers exactly what I originally wanted the Rainbow for. Even with the addition of 2 poles and Tyvek it's still 1.25 lbs lighter than my BD Firstlight.

I really like the innovation and customer service of Tarp Tent, as well as its commitment to sew in the USA. The owner strikes me as a GREAT guy, and a genuine innovator that embodies American entrepreneurship.

I'm determined to support Co's like Tarp Tent.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was just talking to a guy the other day that had one and liked it alot. I don't see myself selling my contrail to get one, but I think the notch would be a great option for someone who carries the trekking poles and moves camp everyday. I like the idea of the two vesitbules, but I'm not sure why a single person tent needs two entrances.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've tried 5 total Tarptents thru the years and am happy with the Rainbow.
Who knows what Henry's fertile mind will come up with in the future...Great designer! I'll look forward to your Notch review.

Now what about Lightheart, SMD....etc. lots of great tents to choose from, too many for my pocket book...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I was just talking to a guy the other day that had one and liked it alot. I don't see myself selling my contrail to get one, but I think the notch would be a great option for someone who carries the trekking poles and moves camp everyday. I like the idea of the two vesitbules, but I'm not sure why a single person tent needs two entrances.

It's not so much the ability to enter from either side, but the ability to vent and have access to both vestibules for gear storage.

TT makes great tents....my Moment was one of the best tents I've ever used. It literally could be set up in less than a minute. I've also used a Rainshadow and Contrail and had nothing but good experiences. I like the looks of the Notch and will keep my eye out for a a good deal on a used one so I can test it out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The TT's look very nice. Been admiring them for awhile as it's about time to retire my Chouinard Pyramid. I do like the teepee style(bomb proof for me so far) though and will probably go with the GoLite SL3 instead.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you guys aren't familiar withh HMG, they are making some neat stuff as well. Probably a little on the ultra light side for most hunters but I like their designs and attitude. I used a prototype of their Ice pack a little while back and it was very well made. Here is the Echo II. They are based out of the NE if I recall. The Windrider pack they make is pure u.l. gold by many accounts.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks for posting. I've been thinking of getting a Hogback for backpacking with the wife. Seems like a lot of space for the weight. Maybe more useable space than the SL5.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the roomier 1P concept, but it looks like a bit of a pain in the neck to set up in the best of conditions, and next to impossible in rocky stuff.

I'm kicking myself for not having picked up a green GoLite Utopia 2 when they were available.

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't see how the Notch is any improvement over the Tarp Tent Moment, and the latter looks like it'll take a blow, especially with that optional crossing pole.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I don't see how the Notch is any improvement over the Tarp Tent Moment, and the latter looks like it'll take a blow, especially with that optional crossing pole.

Like all gear, just depends on what you're looking for. But, the Notch is lighter (if you already carry trekking poles), vents better, has dual vestibules, is double wall, and is taller. But, I agree, the Moment is tough to beat. If I hunted in areas where condensation is a problem, I can see this being a better option though.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Oh, that looks GOOD. I was planning to pick up a Contrail before hiking season cranks up but it looks like there's a new contender on the block. Thanks for the post!

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

They're two different tents... personally I'm not a fan of TT's single wall tents (like the Moment)... Having used his single wall Rainbow, I much prefer a double wall like the Notch.

It's nice to seen Henry broadening his horizons.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
If you guys aren't familiar withh HMG, they are making some neat stuff as well. Probably a little on the ultra light side for most hunters but I like their designs and attitude. I used a prototype of their Ice pack a little while back and it was very well made. Here is the Echo II. They are based out of the NE if I recall. The Windrider pack they make is pure u.l. gold by many accounts.

Guess I'm not seeing the beauty of that tent, especially at its price.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's pretty well featured for 27-28 ounces, the price being due to the use of Cuben--it is a niche product for sure but rare to get one sq. foot of inner tent per ounce.

The packs are more special than the shelters in my opinion. I put 55 lbs. in the sub 2lb. Porter yesterday and was impressed; I'd be surprised if the stays could handle much more than that but some have been doubling them for some more stiffness. The lack of load stabilizers will limit it as well but the slim profile kept 55 close enough to my back. Trail time answers questions of course.

N
NXP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by Bushcraft
I'm kicking myself for not having picked up a green GoLite Utopia 2 when they were available.

You and me both, brother. I've got an SL3, it's nice, but I'd prefer the freestanding Utopia 2 in almost all instances.

NXP

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a utopia and used it a couple trips. It was nice indeed. Though since I was alreay going floorless I decided to go to the SL3 for my solo shelter as the Utopia 2 was 60% heavier for a 1/3 less space.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 257wthbylover, 1minute, 67 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,125
Posts18,502,458
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.