Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I throw the 154 IL's from a 7x57, so they're not going 2900 fps.

Still, after harvesting 5 hogs, a Dall sheep, a black bear, and 2 very ill-tempered ground squirrels, I have yet to recover one.

When that rifle goes on an elkspedition, it will be packing the 154 IL.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Yep, My wife Karen killed ten or twelve elk with the 154 Hornady SP Interlocked. She used a 7Mag and it was a one-shot killer every time.

Steve

Bludog,

There's your schoolbook answer. If dogzapper recommends it, you don't need anything else.

As an aside, I've taken two elk with Hornady Interlocks. One with a 150gr out of a .30-06, and one with a 250gr from a 35 Whelen.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
O
OSB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
The 154 interloc is a good bullet I have used it on game and had outstanding results. I still use it over the newer Hornady offerings.

Last edited by OSB; 01/02/12.
B
bludog Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I agree Wade sounds like a strong endorsement and great Avatar by the way - you are blessed beyond measure. Thanks to all for your replies.

bludog

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not used 154 interlocks on elk, but I do have some input on interlocks on elk.

I have used .338 250 IL spire points at 2700 fps on 3 elk, seen what 7mm 175 gr IL do to elk at 2700 fps and 2900 fps,and 30 cal 180 gr IL in round nose and spire points at 2700 and 3000 fps.

All elk perished right promptly, some dropped where they were from breaking massive bone structures hips/spine, shoulder/spine in wich two bullets were found in two elk. A 180 gr spire point from a 300wsm and 175 grain spire point from a 280 rem. One .338 250 gr. was found sticking out of the stomach like a cork, perfectly mushroomed after a spike was hit straight on from a single 305 yard shot dropping it.

The elk that did make tracks made very few, none over 50 yards.Shot Ranges were varied from 30 or so to the lazer'd 305 yard mark.

The Inter lock is a GOOD ordinary bullet for elk, but a partition is my bullet of choice when the game can weigh 600+ pounds on the hoof... or paw.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bludog
I appreciate everyone's input and opinions, keep them coming, just wondering if there is anyone on the Campfire that has actually fired a 154 Horn at an elk and what happened.

I shot the 154 sp Interlock for years out of a 7mm Rem mag. I did "fire at elk" What happened is the elk were reduced to bag. The bullet will do the job. The thing you may need is freezer wrap.

8mmwapiti

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

How about the 154 Hornady Interlock used on a full-grown Asian water buffalo bull??? Not an elk, but a considerably larger, heavier and more vital critter.

A few years ago, I whacked a water buffalo at about fifty yards. He was broadside and I shot him through both carotid arteries. I experienced complete penetration of the neck, including the two-inch++ thick hide on both sides.

From my position, the bull just fell in the knee-deep snow and disappeared from view. All I could see was the incredibly white snow and a RED FOUNTAIN OF BLOOD gushing waaay up into the air at ever pumping of his heart.

Then, the fountain shortened, and shortened a little more and then stopped.

I knew the shot would be short, so I down-loaded the 154-grain Hornady bullets to 2,800 fps. I could not have asked for a better buffalo killer.

Steve

I like that story. Being the hornady man that you are (bless your heart), have you ever tried the 162 A max or 162 btsp interlock in the 7mm rem mag on elk?? Thanks dogzapper. I'm just surprised there is little to no talk about the 162 btsp interlock. Just curious......

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I found this bullet so good I have never loaded any other bullet in my 284 Win. Shot lots of deer and have yet to shoot an elk though. I use Horn 154 gr IL, IMR 4350, 55 gr. Win. brass & LR Primers! All my deer never took a step. I killed one antelope in Clayton, NM with it also.

Semper Fi USMC/0331
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
have a friend who has killed more elk than anyone else i know he uses the 154gr hornady out of a 7mm mag.

Ed

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by bludog
I appreciate everyone's input and opinions, keep them coming, just wondering if there is anyone on the Campfire that has actually fired a 154 Horn at an elk and what happened.

I have killed two with that bullet out of a 7mm08 and one bear. Perfect performance; good internal damage, perfect mushroom on off-side hide.

The only bear I shot with this bullet was complete pass through.

Similar to 150 Partition but more accurate in my 708 and lots cheaper!!

I loaded them over 42 grains of Varget I believe.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I love Nosler bullets, but have found Hornady bullets are more than adequate for most hunting needs. I killed a doe one time with my 338/06 AI, Nosler 210 Partition, hit the spine and took out 4 vertebrae. Way over kill!

Semper Fi USMC/0331
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

How about the 154 Hornady Interlock used on a full-grown Asian water buffalo bull??? Not an elk, but a considerably larger, heavier and more vital critter.

A few years ago, I whacked a water buffalo at about fifty yards. He was broadside and I shot him through both carotid arteries. I experienced complete penetration of the neck, including the two-inch++ thick hide on both sides.

From my position, the bull just fell in the knee-deep snow and disappeared from view. All I could see was the incredibly white snow and a RED FOUNTAIN OF BLOOD gushing waaay up into the air at ever pumping of his heart.

I knew the shot would be short, so I down-loaded the 154-grain Hornady bullets to 2,800 fps. I could not have asked for a better buffalo killer.

Steve

I like that story. Being the hornady man that you are (bless your heart), have you ever tried the 162 A max or 162 btsp interlock in the 7mm rem mag on elk?? Thanks dogzapper. I'm just surprised there is little to no talk about the 162 btsp interlock. Just curious......

I am a rabid fan of the 7mm 162 gr btsp. I killed my first bull elk with it this year. It certainly anchored him with the initial shot, but he refused to fall over, just stood with his legs spread wide in the trail and his nose nearly in the dirt. I put two more into his vitals before he actually tipped over.

I was shooting them from a Ruger #1 B in 7mm STW. The Chrony shows 3200 fps at the muzzle. The bull was at a lazered 325 yds. According to RCBS 2.88 ballistics calculator, that makes the impact velocity pretty close to 2600 fps.

I have some broken up pieces of bullet from under the off side skin to keep as a memento of the kill.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Steve

just curious.... water buffalo ...white snow just don,t seem to go together well, where was this

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by 340mag

Steve

just curious.... water buffalo ...white snow just don,t seem to go together well, where was this

No problem. Karen and I hunted on the Clover Creek Ranch out of Ashwood, Oregon.
While we were there, between Christmas and New Years, the highest temperature we saw was 5�F and the next morning it dove to -7�. The snow was knee-deep down by the bunkhouse and mid-thigh up top where we eventually ran into the Asian water buffalo and yaks.

Karen whacked a yak and I very carefully ended the career of a nice buff.

The conditions were tough.

God Bless,

Steve

http://clovercreekranch.net/

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My buddy used them forever from his 7mm WBY mag. 154 Factory ammo. Bang flop every time

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I know of 7 Bulls taken with several different 7Mags, all the same load:

63.0g of IMR 4350
Rem case
Rem 9 1/2
Bullet off the lands .005.

The 154 will also shoot through both shoulders of large boars on broadside shots.

Last bull killed was 550 yards.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
63 grs. of IMR4350 was a very accurate load with 150 gr. Noslers in my 7mm Mag as well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 60 invisible), 2,236 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,819
Posts18,496,482
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.