Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Would be interested in any first hand experience obtained with the 154 gr (or 139 gr) Horn SP on elk. Wife and I are either going to NM or CO this year and she's set with 120 gr TTSX, but I'm looking at the 154 Horn outta my 284 win. MV will be around 2900 fps. I appreciate your input.
Thanks,
bludog

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Will work fine(have not taken elk but caribou,bear and deer) but why not load some 140gr TSX's or even the 120grs TSX your wife is shooting if your concerned?

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Good question - may do that, or my go with the 150 gr Nos PT. Just looking for experience with this bullet - have heard some very good things on it. If it proves to be a shooter in the gun, then I'll give it serious consideration - it's seems to be a little tougher than the avg. C&C and it has the exact same SD as a 180 gr 30 cal.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I guess I understand the question if you already have a good accurate load worked up but if starting from ground zero it wouldn't be my 1st choice I'd roll with TSX

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
George has made some good suggestions and as far as the 154 SP Hornady... you won't be handicapped one bit with it either...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've not shot an elk with it but I have used it and the 139-grainer on big mule deer and one bighorn sheep. But, leading up to using it, I did quite a bit of penetration and expansion testing of numerous bullets using soaked newsprint with a hard outer shell. The Hornady did perform well in comparison to other cup and core bullets -- though I wouldn't say it was the best. So, if it is an accurate round for you, I think it will do fine if properly placed. I would not be real comfortable with it should you hit too far forward and straight into the shoulder. I might consider practicing with it but using an Interbond.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 154 gr Hornady will do its part if you do your. I wouldn't hesitate to use this bullet for Elk if my rifle shot them well. Elk aren't bullet proof like some would like to make you think

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I shoot a 284 built on a long action rem 700, so that I can use longer bullets seated out. The bullet that I use is the 162gr Hornady BT at about 2900 fps and it has done well on Elk. If I could get the 154 gr bullet to shoot well, I would use that too. It is a good C&C bullet. I loaded two boxes of 154 hornadys in a 7mm saum for a neighbor to take to Alaska a few years ago. He killed a dall sheep and a mountain Grizzly that trip. They seem to work. Daryl.

B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I appreciate everyone's input and opinions, keep them coming, just wondering if there is anyone on the Campfire that has actually fired a 154 Horn at an elk and what happened.

B
bludog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by DLSguide
I shoot a 284 built on a long action rem 700, so that I can use longer bullets seated out. The bullet that I use is the 162gr Hornady BT at about 2900 fps and it has done well on Elk. If I could get the 154 gr bullet to shoot well, I would use that too. It is a good C&C bullet. I loaded two boxes of 154 hornadys in a 7mm saum for a neighbor to take to Alaska a few years ago. He killed a dall sheep and a mountain Grizzly that trip. They seem to work. Daryl.

Daryl,

Thanks for the response - you responded before I had updated the screen. What velocity was your neighbor running with the 154's?

bludog

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Around 2900 fps too. The rifle is a Rem mod 7 with a 22 inch barrel. I would have no worries with that bullet, but I wouldn't push it any faster. There is no perfect bullet for elk. I have killed many elk with a all kinds of cup and core bullets. Do a lot of shooting this year before your hunt, so you have confidence in your rifle. Get your rifle dialed in on the bench and then practice on hunting setups ect. sitting , prone, sticks, or off your pack. Trigger time will pay off for your hunt. Good luck, Daryl.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Loaded the 154 Hornady over 50 grns of IMR4350, R-P case's, and Fed 210 primer's in my wife's ruger in 280 Rem a few year's ago. She shot a nice little raghorn 5x6 at about 225 yard's. Worked like a charm.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've used the 154 gr almost exclusively in a 7x57 I had. Wonderful bullet. I also tried 139 gr bullet's in that rifle and they shot and killed well. The 154 gr was more accurate so it got the call. I found that Hornadys are tuffer than most cup and core bullet's.

I'm courious. The guy getting 2900fps with the 162 gr bullet, sounds awful hot to me. How are ypou doing that?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
2900fps is what I loaded the 154's in my 7mm Rem Mag

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep, My wife Karen killed ten or twelve elk with the 154 Hornady SP Interlocked. She used a 7Mag and it was a one-shot killer every time.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Don, My 284 win is built on a long action mod 700 with a long throat to seat the bullets out. The rifle also has a 25" barrel. I am also using RL 17 powder, which is perfect for the short mags and 284. Google long action 284 win and see what you find. Daryl.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 7x57 loaded with 49 grains H4350 under the 154 grain @ 2800 fps was my back up rifle to a Model 70 Alaskan .338 mag. on several elk and moose hunts. The Model 70 was put out of commission by a big old Roman nose, red roan horse whacking a tree.

The 7x57 brought down a Montana bull 5x6 elk that was standing broadside in a deadfall at about 30 paces. At the shot the elk jumped a couple of downed trees and crashed. The Hornday broke a rib going in and going out. Lungs were mush.

Days later in Idaho the 7x57 took a 5x5 elk at the edge of a meadow. Elk was quartering away from me at a higher elevation than me at 240 paces. Hit the heart and lung and exited without hiting any bone. Elk was recovered at 87 paces.

Put a new stock on the M70, sold it, took the 7x57 elk hunting the next fall loaded with 160 grain Nosler Partition. Sorry.

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Witnessed my brother dump a bull moose at 300 yards with one through the shoulders out of a 7 Rem Mag. Bull dropped at the shot, thrashed about for a few seconds, never moved from the spot. Bull came to rest against the skin on the far side, centred through both shoulder blades.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

How about the 154 Hornady Interlock used on a full-grown Asian water buffalo bull??? Not an elk, but a considerably larger, heavier and more vital critter.

A few years ago, I whacked a water buffalo at about fifty yards. He was broadside and I shot him through both carotid arteries. I experienced complete penetration of the neck, including the two-inch++ thick hide on both sides.

From my position, the bull just fell in the knee-deep snow and disappeared from view. All I could see was the incredibly white snow and a RED FOUNTAIN OF BLOOD gushing waaay up into the air at ever pumping of his heart.

Then, the fountain shortened, and shortened a little more and then stopped.

I knew the shot would be short, so I down-loaded the 154-grain Hornady bullets to 2,800 fps. I could not have asked for a better buffalo killer.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wifes 7x57 laid out a couple of elk stone cold dead using the 154 interloc, also a couple of long range shots on different muledeer made for plenty of deer jerky and sausage. Never did recover one of those bullets.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 59 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,437
Posts18,470,834
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.