Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Who does a good job and what should I expect to pay for rust bluing a bolt action rifle?

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I do my own, and love doing it. I priced the cost (to see how much I was saving) and found quotes all over the map, price-wise, from a low of around $150 up to $500. Made me feel even more proud of my accomplishment.

It's not hard to do, and doesn't require a huge initial outlay, and isn't noxious- you can do it in the kitchen. It is however rather time consuming and that I fear is why the pros charge so much.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Thanks. I've read over the basics of doing it: degrease, apply compound, boil, let rust, card (may have too many steps or some out of order) and then repeat the process until desired depth of color is reached.

My concerns are: how do you keep the bore from rusting and how do you card (and what do you card with?) the hard-to-reach recesses of small parts and the inside of the receiver?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Some guys plug the barrel. I've done that in the past but have gone to coating the bore with varnish or clear laquer. Remove it with acetone after the final boil. For carding I use a carding wheel in a drill press @ 600rpm. You can also use degreased 0000 steel wool. For the hard to get places you just have to be creative, a hemostat and small wads/pieces of the degreased wool is the way I do it.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I quite worrying about the barrel years ago. The steel only rusts where the rusting chemical is applied. Now I just degrease the bore and start bluing. When the barrel is removed from the boil, the steel drys instantly. After carding, I run a clean patch through the bore using a degreased rod to remove any crud .

My bluing jobs usually take a couple of days and I've never had a problem with barrel rust.

Last edited by Mauser98; 01/03/12.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mauser98
I The steel only rusts where the rusting chemical is applied. Now I just degrease the bore and start bluing. When the barrel is removed from the boil, the steel drys instantly. After carding, I run a clean patch through the bore using a degreased rod to remove any crud .

My bluing jobs usually take a couple of days and I've never had a problem with barrel rust.

I believe you, but find it really interesting, as I have had rifles start to rust after being out in rain a couple of hours.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I believe you, but find it really interesting, as I have had rifles start to rust after being out in rain a couple of hours.

The difference is that after boiling, the metal is bone dry. There is no moisture to react with air and steel to create rust.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My just finished 8X63mm Mauser cost $300. Looks really old school,like it was done 75+ years ago,I'm good with it!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I wish I could find the post over on rimfirecentral that I saw a couple years ago. A guy bought some old school .22 rifle, think it was a pump, but can't remember for sure. He draw filed the barrel and action to remove the pitting it had, then rust blued it. Did a step by step tutorial as he went along, very informative, but I can't find it frown

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Charles Danner is the acknowledged expert when it comes to rust bluing. He had been in the business many years and many of the custom gunsmiths use his services. Do a Google search and you will find his website. I did rust bluing for many years when employed in Browning Arms Co. gunsmithing shop, while a relatively simple process there are a lot of tricks of the trade and the learning curve takes a while before turning out really nice work. Been there and done that, I now turn my work over to the pros who do this work every day. I gladly pay what they charge for the kind of work they turn out. Check with the American Custom Gunsmith's Guild, they maintain a list of members who specialize in rust bluing.

Last edited by gunswizard; 01/06/12.
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I get $125.00, but it takes time.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Are you paying yourself minimum wage Corelokt?

I'll say it again. It's not rocket science and doesn't require a huge set-up or noxious chemicals. What it does take is time, and the willingness to repeat the process until you get it right. The real secret to a beautiful rust blued "professional" job is in the prep work; careful and meticulous polishing is totally necessary. Slap-dash polishing (especially if using a buffing wheel to get that wonderful buttery rounded over look to the sharp edges and lettering) will result in an amateurish looking blue job, especially if one gets impatient and stops short of attaining a uniform "blue" on the steel.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Rust bluing solution DOES contain noxious chemicals, if you are using the Herter's formula now sold by others it contains MERCURY. Rubber gloves, good ventilation and a quality respirator should be used when rust bluing especially when carding. I worked in the gunsmithing department at Browning Arms Co. for many years, during this time some of my coworkers developed health problems from exposure to the hazards involved in rust bluing. Rust bluing in the home kitchen exposes you and your family to these hazards and I would strongly advise against it.

Last edited by gunswizard; 01/07/12.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It's all relative. My inference to the "noxiousness" was in comparison to the rust bluing solutions vs. the common hot bluing chemicals. Also, a home hobbyist doing an occasional rust bluing job isn't exposing himself to a constant barrage of risky compounds. Simply wearing nitrile gloves (which one should as a matter of course just to keep oily fingerprints off of the steel anyway) and a dust mask (which will obviate the ingestion of 95% of the airborne rust particles) will, I feel, protect a home hobbyist sufficiently while doing a blue job a couple of times a year.

As far as mercury goes, well if it's listed as an ingredient I wouldn't use it. Why go looking for trouble? I might add that there is a ton of stuff commonly found in households that is equally noxious as the weak solutions used for rust bluing. I would. for example, rather spend a week breathing those fumes than spend an hour breathing Formula 409 fumes while scrubbing the bathrooms.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/07/12.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Given the Herters solution contains mercury, what rust bluing product would you reccomend for the home hobbyist?

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Sounds as though Mr. gnoahh considers himself to be the resident know it all expert when it comes to the topic of rust bluing. My comments were not meant to be critical of his post, just stating
some knowledge gained in 35yrs.+ as a professional gunsmith. A lot of 'smiths I know report excellent results using the Pilkington Rust Blue. You might want to inquire at his website if there is a MSDS available that would list the chemical composition of his product and precautions necessary. BTW a paper dust mask is just that, meant only to protect from relatively harmless elements. The oxide thrown into the air while carding rust blue is much more hazardous and requires a higher level of protection, no matter if you are a home hobbyist doing a one time job or a pro doing it on an ongoing basis.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, I have used Brownell's "Classic Rust Blue" and got dandy results. I just dug the old bottle of it out and I see the label refers to metallic salts being in the solution. I have no idea what that means. Mercury? I did two guns with it and honestly didn't notice any odd odors. Remember, you're only exposed to the fumes for as long as it takes to swab the stuff onto the steel, then it goes away (in my case into a damp box) to slowly rust. In re-reading the printed instructions that came with the stuff, there is no mention whatever of maintaining proper ventilation/not coming in contact with it, etc. The warning on the label mentions avoiding contact with the skin and to not get it in your eyes and avoid prolonged exposure to the vapors.

I have also used Laurel Mountain Forge browning solution for both browning and rust bluing. I don't have any left so I don't have any reference as to its contents. The results were fine, and I don't recall any noxious odors.

Lastly, for the last gun I did I used a home made solution that supposedly duplicates A.O.Niedner's recipe.
2.5 oz. Nitric acid
2.0 oz. Hydrochloric acid
1.0 oz. iron nails
30.0 oz. distilled water

As you can see it's a very weak acidic solution. I mixed it using chemicals we have here in our labs at the school (I honestly don't know the strength of the acids, but it is fairly pure stuff.) Instead of iron nails, I used iron filings, again from the science labs. I read somewhere to be sure of the chemical makeup of the metal you dissolve into the acid- using alloy steels may impart traces of elements detrimental to the process. The iron filings were dissolved first in the acid, then mixed with the water. (Always add acid to water, never the reverse.) I also reduced the quantities of the ingredients so as not to end up with a quart of it, and used brown glass containers.

That was more of an experiment and admittedly a self-challenge. The results were a very pleasant grey-blue almost black.

Quite frankly if anybody tries this at home, and I still see no reason why not, allay your own suspicions by determining the contents of the solution and take the necessary precautions. It still ain't rocket science. And as far as exposing my family to any danger- I'm single and live alone, plus all this stuff is done in my shop where I'm all by my lonesome. I would still do it in the kitchen if that were my only venue.

Not a "resident expert". Just stating what I have done myself. My personal physiological makeup is rather more sensitive than most people's, and I have never experienced any side effects whatsoever. Some of stuff the cleaning lady has stashed under the sink brings tears to my eyes and makes me gag, quite unlike my experiences doing rust bluing.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/07/12.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Can't get top dollar on a rock bottom economy.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I guess Mr. gnoahh just cannot see my point, your lungs are just like your eyes. One pair to a customer and no replacements, it just makes no sense to gamble with one's health. No matter the lack of noxious odors, mild strength of acid, etc.,etc.. I hope the other forum members take my advice here, quality rubber gloves (not surgical gloves), adequate ventilation and a respirator capable of protecting you lungs from the fine particles (iron oxide and chemical residue) produced during the carding process. Whatever rust blue solution you choose to use, get a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) from the manufacturer. These are available at no charge, sometimes on-line, they provide full disclosure (except propriety property of the manufacturer)of the chemicals you are dealing with and the precautions necessary in doing so. Other valuable knowledge consained therin are, handling spills, fire precautions and disposing of waste material and containers. All thing you will want to know to stay safe. This is a fun, safe hobby I am not trying to scare anyone. Just want to make everyone aware of the potential hazards and how to arm yourself with the knowledge to work safely.

Last edited by gunswizard; 01/07/12.
S
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Thank you all. One gun I want to rust blue is my Kimber of Oregon Model 82. Apart from using degreased steel wool held in a hemostat or something, what would be a good way to card the inside of the receiver and extractor recesses in the barrel?

Last edited by Steven60; 01/08/12.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 12344mag, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,911
Posts18,479,524
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.