Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
i NEED a 22lr for plinking/hunting. i took my dads old steel sight 22lr to the gravel pit the other day and now im hooked.

i looked at a coulple cz rifles today, a browning t-bolt which felt amazing and i really like that bolt design, a couple savages, a marlin, and mossberg.

i cant recall the model numbers on everything. but the marlin and mossberg were around $200. the cz's were $400-4500. the browning was around $679. and the savages were $399......just to you guys might have a feeling of which models they might have been by prices.

anyway, first i would like to know about the t-bolt cause i fell in love with that rifle.

second i would like info about all rimfires grin and what i should look for and not look for. lol

the main purpose of the rifle will be to shoot while waiting for my big rifles to cool between groups. and for walking around shooting grouse, rabbits, and coyotes at close range.

thanks, sorry for the long blabbing post crazy

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Love those .22's!
Of those you named, I'd go with either the Savage or Marlin, just personal preference. The Browning would be good, too.
I've had, and still have, many Marlins. They are the most accurate and reliable .22's I've seen, whether semi-auto or bolt action. My old Savages still hold their own, too, despite being over 40 years old. Some friends have new Savages and they're great guns. For the money, the Marlins and Savages have it all over the others.
But, as you say you've fallen in love with the Browning, get it. My nephew has a Browning center-fire and it's a good gun, the rimfire should be great, too.

Think direction first, then velocity.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Browning t-bolt should be OK..

Cz- definitely OK

Rugers Bolt actions- you need to look at... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have tended to avoid rimfires for the most part though I have owned several and still have about 5. I avoided them because they all felt cheap, small and/or "kid like". That all changed when I picked up a Marlin 39 lever gun. You can just feel the quality and solidness of it. Its like playing with a Mossberg bolt gun then picking up a Win 70. It just "feels" quality. I suggest you look at one.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Browning t-bolt should be OK..

Cz- definitely OK

Rugers Bolt actions- you need to look at... wink

yes the ruger was one i hoped to check out. but sadly was not in stock. i loved my m77's and m77 II's

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I vote for old school. Remington 121, Winchester 61 or 62A would be tops on my list for a plinker/close rance huntin rig. Or a remington 511 or 512, super accurate with full size feel.

But Im a 22 super slut and have lots of em. The pumps are my fav for just all out fun to shoot.

Remington 512X
[Linked Image]

Winchester 62A
[Linked Image]

Last edited by passport; 11/28/11.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Tell ya what, rimfires multiply worse than bunnies or coyotes. If you buy one, you will buy another.

Do you have an action preference? If so, pick that first and a while later, others will end up in your closet. Most rimfires are inexpensive, and gun shows are a great place to find and fondle them.

I've got a 22 pump, several bolt actions and an autoloader. I shoot whatever tickles my fancy on a given day.

You said plinking and hunting. Get something that satisfies that itch first.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Tell ya what, rimfires multiply worse than bunnies or coyotes. If you buy one, you will buy another.

Do you have an action preference? If so, pick that first and a while later, others will end up in your closet. Most rimfires are inexpensive, and gun shows are a great place to find and fondle them.

I've got a 22 pump, several bolt actions and an autoloader. I shoot whatever tickles my fancy on a given day.

You said plinking and hunting. Get something that satisfies that itch first.

Yea. I want a more sporter style rifle. For just walking around scouting and exploring the area around my new town in the mountains. I thought about a 22 centerfire, but I like bulk cheap ammo when the gun will be just for casual stuff.

M
M
Why no something like the Ruger 10/22? I have a couple dozen 22s of different makes, models and styles but the one I almost always reach for is the 10/22. Mine are pretty much stock but you can hog wild if you want.

Lurking since 2003
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Mac66
Why no something like the Ruger 10/22? I have a couple dozen 22s of different makes, models and styles but the one I almost always reach for is the 10/22. Mine are pretty much stock but you can hog wild if you want.

I looked at a few different model 10/22s today. But I just didn't like the way they felt. I prefer a little longer barrel then they had aswell

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

i took my dads old steel sight 22lr to the gravel pit the other day and now im hooked.

What is it?

...and for walking around shooting grouse, rabbits, and coyotes at close range.

Then you probably don't want a scope, right? Did you do pretty well with the iron sights on your dad's rifle?

A Marlin 39A can be crazy accurate, and you'd be surprised how well you can hit things with it from a standing position.

Also consider an older Remington pump rifle. They're stocked for iron sights and, like the 39A, can be fitted with a peep sight.

You specify "walking" and "close" range, and clearly want "fun" out of this rifle.

I think lever or pump is a good way to go for this specific application.

- Tom

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plus, old pump .22's are neglected by the masses while Marlin 39's are highly sought after, and their prices reflect this. Not saying the Marlin 39's aren't great rifles, just saying this makes pump rifles terrific deals.

Same with the older bolt action .22's mentioned here. Now that NRA ranges and junior smallbore matches are no longer widespread, thousands of incredibly accurate bolt actions made from real walnut and forged and machined steel just sit around gathering dust, waiting for a buyer who can really appreciate them for what they are.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've got a Winchester Model 69 (my first rifle) and 2 Browning Model 52's. All are accurate, but if I were looking for a new 22, I'd look carefully at the CZ Model 452.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here's mine--

Ruger Charger/Kidd barrel--

[Linked Image]

Magnum Rearch Picuda--

[Linked Image]

both 3-9x Rapid Reticles--

[Linked Image]

shooting these rimfires to longer range is more fun than any other shooting i've ever done.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image]

For fun or hunting, I agree with Jim. My best friend has two FN Trombone pumps made in the 1930s. One was handed down from his father and the other was purchased at a gun show. They are fun to shoot, handle great and made for small game.

I have a Henry pump which was scoped for a while, but I took it off in favour of the original sights. I will be upgrading the irons with a Williams peep and swapping out the original front sight with a Hi Viz post. Hi Viz is releasing an aftermarket replacement front post which is supposed to be available in January.

[Linked Image]

I do have an 22 autoloader - a black, plastic stocked Model 60 Marlin. It's a recent purchase, made to plink. No mods will be done to it. I have put a cheap 4x15mm Tasco on it. If the scope breaks, I'll get another, low cost replacement.

[Linked Image]

Many people have owned several 22s throughout their lifetimes. Shooters go through phases and buy according to how they feel. Try to save a few and don't sell them off. Pass one on to your kids, grandkids or anyone in need.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Many people have owned several 22s throughout their lifetimes. Shooters go through phases and buy according to how they feel. Try to save a few and don't sell them off. Pass one on to your kids, grandkids or anyone in need.

Interesting point. I have bought & sold several centerfire rifles and handguns - but I still own every rimfire I've ever bought.

To the OP - dollar for dollar - it's hard to beat the current Savage bolt-actions. If you're a little handy and can do the trigger mods, the CZ 452 would be my first recommendation. If not, you could spend about $100 more and get the 453, which comes with a much better trigger.

I prefer a good scope on my rimfire rifles. Why limit a good thing?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Interesting point. I have bought & sold several centerfire rifles and handguns - but I still own every rimfire I've ever bought.

That's why you see so many on the used rack at gun shops.

To the OP - dollar for dollar - it's hard to beat the current Savage bolt-actions. If you're a little handy and can do the trigger mods, the CZ 452 would be my first recommendation. If not, you could spend about $100 more and get the 453, which comes with a much better trigger.

I have a CZ452 with an improved trigger. It's a range rifle and has a high powered scope on it for 25 and 50 yd shoots. It was unusual at first, but having a high powered scope on a 22 and then shooting it at short ranges was satisfying. You can shoot some tight little groups once you've found the right brand of ammunition.

I prefer a good scope on my rimfire rifles. Why limit a good thing?

Depending on the shooter, scopes can be a limiting factor. Some people have a hard time acquiring a target in their scope when hunting. This is especially true if the game is moving. For many of us, iron sights are faster, especially at 22RF ranges. Obviously, this is a personal thing.

For short ranges, I have found red dots to be the absolute quickest for target acquisition and shooting on the move. You keep both eyes open and the red dot is not subject to parallax. In fact, I used a red dot on a 30-30 and a 45-70 lever gun for a while. Shooting with both eyes open aids your ability to follow game when the background is dark.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a 452 that I put a cheap Tasco 6 x 24 scope on top of it..although it looked out of place, the glass on the Tasco is adequate for head shots on sage rats out to 125 yds with Walmart Bulk Federal 22 ammo...although about 14 power is as much as anyone usually needs to do those head shots on the sage rats..

it is fun to watch them flop around like a fish out of water once hit...

the other 22 Rimfire not mentioned, is a Win 94/22... I have one of those that has a 6 power Weaver on top... that one is a tack driver with bulk ammo out to 75 yds easily.. it is as accurate as the CZ, but a 6 x 24 scope on top on that one would look a little TOO MUCH...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I prefer singleshots

They can be suited up for a day in the field
[Linked Image]

Or dressed for a more formal occasion
[Linked Image]

Or they can just be a good ol' boy .22
[Linked Image]

You can't be a good singleshot.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mac66

I have a couple of 10/22s. They are nice guns and fun to shoot. However, my Marlin semi-autos and lever actions and Remington bolt and pump guns are more accurate. I especially like the levers and pumps since they shoot Shorts and Longs as well as Long Rifles.

Think direction first, then velocity.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,518
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.