-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
i'm going to start load development on a 308 this week. i've never loaded for that round, and am starting from scratch.
<br>so...i need to start w/ dies. is there any appreciable difference in quality of reloads using non-competition dies? are the rcbs dies going to offer me any appreciable advantage over lee? what about redding (standard dies)?
<br>
<br>from what i have gathered here in recent posts, i'll start w/ rl-15 and imr4895 for powders...probably use cci benchrest primers, and hornady 150 grain btsp. bullets all loaded in win brass.
<br>am i on the right track? this rifle is a hunting rifle, but i would like to get accuracy better than it has been w/ factory stuff... but i believe quality of the loads will have to start w/ the dies.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have never used Lee dies, therefore I cannot address the quality of them.
<br>I can say that Redding and R.C.B.S. do make excellent dies and I have never had a problem with either make.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like Redding dies,but used RCBS for years(with satisfaction). But when purchasing new today,Redding gets the nod.
<br>
<br>Your load recipe is very much on track,in my opinion..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All mine are RCBS except two. I have Redding dies in .308 and .30-06. I can't say either is any better than the others, but I do like the lock rings a little better on the Reddings.
<br>
<br>I have used Lee dies once, when helping a friend get started into loading. They worked well in my press (an old Lyman turret type). I wouldn't be afraid to get a set of Lees if I were purchasing new.
<br>7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
BT, I think you wil find IMR 4064 will work better in the .308 than RL 15 and 4895

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

<br>I would go ahead and get Redding Dies. If you handload long enough,you will most likely gravitate to Redding anyway.
<br>
<br>Hornady 150grSP bullets and IMR-4895 are very accurate in my old Mdl88-308win....Good luck

James
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've gradually gone to Redding, because the fit and finish seemed to be superior to all the others. I've also read that they are using better quality steel, and a deeper case harden than other die manufacturers.
<br>
<br>I've had good luck with 4895 and Speer 125 TNT's, and 4064 with 168 grain Sierra's ( Match Kings) in a .308 Garand
<br>
<br>Scott
<br>
<br>

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

<br>Redding, Redding, Redding.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would recommend RCBS. Why? Because that is all I use and I am happy with them. I tried one set of Lee dies, the ones it the red clear can shape holder with the plastic powder scoop. I got SSOOOOOOOOOO disgusted with it I swore I'd never use them again. Just my opinion. Are they good dies? They probably are and I just cannot get used to working with them. The lee dies have a lot of nuiances that REALLY bugged and irritaed me. (wanna buy a set of 40 S&W Lee dies for cheap!) So I won't use them,hence I cannot recommend them. Your experiences may vary. As a result of this experience I am really hesitant to try another die. OK I becoming an old codger because I don't wanna change! [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>As for the rest of your components. I'd say your on the right track.
<br>
<br>Personally-I'd just use standard primers.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My information is that Redding is the best. Very fine seating depth control, etc. I have never used them.
<br> I've used RCBS, on and off for years. No complaints.
<br> I now, usually, buy, and use, Lee dies. My rifles, and handguns shoot great with the loads I make up. My .280 shoots from, .2-.4 inch groups for three @ 100 yds. My 10 mm auto puts three in 3/4 of an inch at 25 yds. My varmit .308 shoots so many groups in the .5 range it's boring.
<br> The trick is just eliminating the variables. Get good brass. I understand Winchester brass is very close to Lapua, and Norma in quality. Tirm the brass. I use the Lee system for that.
<br> I have found that CCI 200 primers and ball powder, like 748, doesn't work well in my varmit .308. I use either Federal, or Winchester primers.
<br> Good bullets. When in doubt, weigh them. I have never found any Sierra bullets out by more than .1 of a grain. Their match bullets rarely are out over .05 grains !
<br> For hunting rifles, I start with a hunting load first. Later, I develop practice loads. For big game, that means the expensive premium bullets. E
<br>

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I currently use Hornady, Rcbs, Lee and CH4D. I use a case comparitor for case neck and bullet runnout. With some adjustment(expander polishing and stem tension tweeking) all produce excellent ammuntion. I think consistent brass is more of a variable than dies nowadays. Why waste money on compatition RCBS etc dies when $10 Lee dies can produce match quality ammo with a little care? IMHO

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have and use Lee, RCBS, Redding, and Lyman. Outside, I believe the Redding is finished a little better than the others. Inside, where it counts, I can't tell any difference between them. All will produce quality reloads with attention to detail as others have noted.
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks much for all the input, guys. went to cabela's yesterday to get everything i needed to start load development...had my heart set on redding dies (always used rcbs before), and of course they were out of 'em for the 308. so, i got rcbs. went to get brass... all out of 308, so i didn't get any. did, however, manage to find everything else i needed (wanted?). i have a few stray pieces of brass here, so i can still get the development started.
<br>
<br>i decided to start w/ only 1 powder (rl-15), and 1 bullet (hornady 150 grain flat base sp). i'll be back to cabela's on monday, so if my initial results aren't that promising, that's ok...hopefully more stuff will be in. won't get to shoot a whole lot before then, anyway, so i'm not worried that i didn't stuff the powder cabinet.
<br>
<br>the rifle i'm loading for is an ancient savage 110 (long action) 308. it is a very consistent 1.75" gun at 100 w/ factory fodder. just got the barrel floated, and trigger worked, so i'm hoping to beat that...will be bedding the gun later today. this weekend it'll be getting the garbage that sits on top of it (one person called it a scope) yanked. going w/ leupold, so that in itself may improve things a tad. really looking forward to see how she'll shoot when it gets tuned in. starting to look like saturday's going to be a good day...glass should be set by then.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
eremicus- i thought about going w/ the premium bullets for this project, but at a muzzle velocity in the 2700-2800 fps range, i just didn't think the extra cost would have been warranted. i've had pretty good results w/ hornady bullets in my 7mm (mv ~3200-3300 fps), so i was thinking that dropping 500+ fps would only make them work better (is that possible?)... the bullets in my 7 were boat tails, the ones for the 308 are flat base, so that should make them a tad tougher than what i've been shooting, no?
<br>
<br>is my line of thinking way 'out there'?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I started out reloading about 18 yrs ago with all Lyman dies, and have occasionally traded or bought RCBS, and have a set of Hornady .41 mag dies. Then when I first got my .223 I borrowed a set of Redding dies from a buddy, I sent him the money to buy himself a new set and have since bought .338, a new set of .243 and .270 in Redding dies!! When the time comes to buy my 6.5 Swede dies, guess what...they will be reddings!
<br>
<br>I really like the craftsmanship they use in knurling all of the parts that need it! You can get a grip on Redding dies, you may leave a little skin on them, but they will grip. All of the threads appear to be well cut also. You can get a 2-die set for $23-$30 from Midway...can't beat that...
<br>
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (10gaugemag, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, 16 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,588
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.