-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
S
S
Found a pair of Australian Shepard pups that were too young to have been weaned when I was dove hunting just east of the White Tank Mtns west of Phoenix about 15 years ago. Someone had dumped a fresh litter out there, and these 2 pups were all that was left. They were skin and bones and covered with ticks.

I took one, and a buddy took the other. I seriously doubted either one would make it, as they were too weak to even hold their heads up anymore. Called my wife on the way home to tell her about it.

Long story short, both dogs survived, named mine "Lucky", mine lived almost 12 years before cancer took him. Good dog.

Back in the early 70's, found a couple of WWII era fighter plane drop tanks while Coues deer hunting outside of Patagonia, AZ.

Found an old WWII era Willy's Jeep in the same area, about the same time.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Turkey hunting, found a plane that had crashed in the San Mateos sometime during the previous winter. Just the tail was sticking out of a melting snow bank and the pilot's body was still inside.

Found a buffalo skull sticking out of the bank of an eroding arroyo. Gave it to the landowner who was nice enough to let me cross his ranch to access some good Coues habitat.

Found a nice double shotgun early one morning while putting my john boat in one of the lakes on the Valentine National Wildlife Refuge. Ran into the guy that lost it later that day and returned it.

Found a cave in the Animas Mountains with sandals made of yucca fiber, a bow with a fiber string of some kind and some arrows in a rotting quiver. Donated them to a local museum.

Found two rifles: one in the Buffalo Mountains of Colorado during a muzzle loader deer hunt (a Rem 700 that had been lost the previous year) and one on the divide above the middle fork of the Salmon River (a Win 94 Big Bore in .375 Win that had been stolen from a cabin in Warren a few weeks earlier).

Lots of rusted knives, none of which were worth trying to restore.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I found a complete bull moose skeleton 4 or 5 years ago. Looked like it laid down in a depression in the ground and died. We've also found the remains of old logging camps.

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I found a wallet. Had a drivers lic. and all the normal stuff. I called the guy and he was surprised and glad to get it back.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not me, by my wife's uncle found a brand new M70 leaned up against a cottonwood on their little river bottom ranch this deer season. No idea how it got there, and no one's came by looking for it.

IC B2

FNG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I found a digital camera a few years back that had been run over by snowcats or something on a gated logging road - pretty wrecked, but the card inside seemed good. It turned out to have naked pics of a guy's lady friend. That same trip yeilded an unopened gallon of vodka elsewhere in the woods.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
In the Eastern Sierra Nevada I was climbing up a steep hill, in fairly thick brush, when I come up to a metal box about as tall as me, and two foot square. Curious, I shake it some, but couldn't really figure out what it was. I walk around the other side, and find a sign that says "Earthquake Monitoring Station - University of Nevada". No doubt I got somebody excited, when I was shaking his station grin

Hilarious!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Lonerider
I found a gutpile once on a snowy mornin in WNY state and as I was walking away I noticed a shotgun leaning against a tree. It was a nice Ithaca model 37 pump with a 26 in slug barrel. The drag marks in the snow showed the way the successful hunter had taken. It was an easy trail to follow. I took up the trail, shotgun in hand and soon found a young man sitting on a log resting from his labors. At his feet was a nice little 6 point buck.You could tell by hs grin that he was a happy young fellow on this opening morning. I inquired as to where he got his buck and he gladly shared the story of his first deer kill. I was happy for him. I then asked what he shot it with and he told me he got it with his new Ithaca he had recieved from his grampa the pervious christmas. I inquired as to where this fine firearm was as I would like to see it. He gave a hasty look around him and the color drained from his face. He started running back up hill toward the gutpile leaving his prized buck laying there. I stopped him mid stride with a shout and held up the gun. " Is this what you are looking for?" I asked. The lights came on and he Grinned mightly. He was again a happy young fellow.
We had a good conversation and I helped him drag his prize out of the woods. We had many good conversations over the years and I have taught him a few things and he has taught me much as well.
So what did I really find that snowy day in the woods?
A FRIEND!!

Bloody well done. Bravo!

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 10ring1, 270cowboy, 43 invisible), 1,743 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.