Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5997503 01/03/12
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Aside from cool Mauser sporters, who else here likes Krags as much as I do???????

I'm currently at three sporters. I've had others. But two are the old "NRA" cut down rifles, but they have mint bores and I've fitted a nice old Redfield receiver sight on the one. The inspector cartouches are immaculate. Shame they were cut.

The third is a sporter from I'd say the twenties. Schnable fore end with pistol grip. They are all in .30 U.S. Army. A ctg to which I am very partial.

They fit very well in my canvas wall tent camp will all the wood, wool , and canvas surroundings.

Bob N.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have always wanted a sporterized one to play with.....always keep an eye out for a cheap one. However, I haven't found one yet. For some reason the places I look think crappy hacked up krags are worth more than crappy hacked up way over priced mausers.

advntrjnky

8mm-06 = perfection
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bob doesn't it bother you-even a little bit- to post a topic like that and then not provide a pic or two of those fine old Krags?

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
LOL! I gotta update some of my pics! Yes it does bother me! Lemme see what I can find in my files!! I'm still on dial up and it takes forever to load a pic to photobucket!

Lemme look!

Bob

Founder

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leadminer - "Bob doesn't it bother you-even a little bit- to post a topic like that and then not provide a pic or two of those fine old Krags? " IMO - that's not so bad... BUT he's had several Krags to play with while I'm still looking for
one. I know...seek and ye shall find. Homesteader.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How about this one I found in a pawn shop a few years back!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After I found it I had to have it follow me home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've yet to see one up close, but I have always been interested in them. Cool rifle taylorce1.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Okay,,,,,,,, only 25 minutes to load these two! Whew!

[Linked Image]
I took the little scope off this one, and put on the Redfield receiver sight off of this one!

[Linked Image]

I'll try another pic later. Somewhere here I have pics of the real cav carbine that I had that someone re-blued and stuck a Pachmayr "white outline" field pad on! Argh!!!!!!

Bob N

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Aside from cool Mauser sporters, who else here likes Krags as much as I do???????

I'm currently at three sporters. I've had others. But two are the old "NRA" cut down rifles, but they have mint bores and I've fitted a nice old Redfield receiver sight on the one. The inspector cartouches are immaculate. Shame they were cut.

The third is a sporter from I'd say the twenties. Schnable fore end with pistol grip. They are all in .30 U.S. Army. A ctg to which I am very partial.

They fit very well in my canvas wall tent camp will all the wood, wool , and canvas surroundings.

Bob N.

[Linked Image]

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've had a couple over the years. They are very neat old rifles.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kaywoodie,

I really like the second one.

That Schnabel forearm does it for me.

Nice and short.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have had this one for many years. It has taken a couple of mule deer does and been on a few day hunts for moose. I don't know who stocked it but they did a pretty fair job and the checkering is very good. It is birds eye the full length of the stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Like the proverbial kid that always liked Fords because that's what his dad drove.... I, too; Luv the Krags. I have owned three of them in various cut down condition.

The last was gifted to me by my brother... It has a Redfield recv'r sight.

In addition to that I have a Ruger #3 in .30-40.

AFAIC, the .30-40 Krag, the .303 Brit, and the .308 Win are three peas-in-a-pod, ballistically... And that puts it in a very usable range for both power and moderate recoil... JMHO

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep, interesting, well made rifles. This one took a doe and a turkey in 2010. It's been in my family for many years...

[Linked Image]

I will probably give it to a younger family member at some point - and then go look for a nice sporter, ike the ones above smile

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 01/04/12.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
WOW! Ya'll have some really nice old pieces! I think receiver sights rock!

Wished I could find someone who would make some of them nice old 220 grn RN "Full Patch" bullets to load up! Dunno what I'd do with the things, but they are just too classic.....

Hopefully, this weekend I can get outside and get some newer pics of the trio I have now. May throw in wifey's ol 95 Winchester in the pic too, as it is a "30 Army".

Bob N.

Founder

WS

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That's better! Just getting back on the Fire tonight and really like what I'm seeing. Bob, I too,especially like that second one in your pics. Thanks, Bruce

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have one and it's just as slick as my two M-S carbines. Superb workmanship.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't have any butchered up Krag sporters or nice ones either cause when I find them it is allways 1 of 3 things wrong.
1. The barrel is a goner
2. I am broke at that moment in time
3. There is some guy 5 feet in frt of me holding it with 1 hand and the money to pay for it in the other.
But I have picked up some 03's that somebody started on and wrecked their collector value , sure I love 03's too. Nice pictures all. Magnum man

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I like this one!

Originally Posted by kaywoodie

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
I don't have any butchered up Krag sporters or nice ones either cause when I find them it is allways 1 of 3 things wrong.
1. The barrel is a goner
2. I am broke at that moment in time
3. There is some guy 5 feet in frt of me holding it with 1 hand and the money to pay for it in the other.
But I have picked up some 03's that somebody started on and wrecked their collector value , sure I love 03's too. Nice pictures all. Magnum man

I have been lucky as I kinda get to cherry pick stuff as it comes into the shop. It's comes straight upstairs for us to give a good once over before hitting the sale racks. About 95% of all the Krags that come thru have bores that weren't cleaned since the charge up Kettle Hill!

If the bore is decent, I'll usually spring for it. I've passed on BUNCHES! Especially unaltered military rifles as that always bring a premium. Regardless of bore condition. But I can usually puck up the old classic lookin' sporters for a song.

Now, cool '03 sporters of the same vintage, properly done, are awesome things in their own right. They remind me of Papa Hemingway!!!

BTW,along the same lines..... Had the absolute cleanest model 30 Remington I'd ever seen, come thru several weeks before Christmas. Went for $1200! Was a 30-06. Very nice piece, but as you alluded to in your earlier comment..... Not enuff cash at the time!

Bob N.

Founder

WS

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1936M71, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1911a1, 65 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,727
Posts18,514,301
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.