Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm moving from Boise to South Dakota and am looking for advice on the best way to move my household. We'll be moving from a 4 bedroom home to a 2 bedroom rental with plans to purchase a house as soon as one is located.

We have far too much "good stuff" to move it all ourselves so no way a U-haul will work. I'm looking at:

1. Moving Pods
2. One of the national moving companies

I'm leaning towards the pod concept since we will most likely need to store our stuff for several months.

Suggestions/experiences?

GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Where will you store the pod? There may be restrictions to storing it for some time in a driveway.

Certainly a pod is a great way to move the stuff and you might be able to rent space in a "public storage" facility to keep the pod safe from dampness and vandals (and thieves).

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Having just moved two households into one and then moved the whole mess to Texas, I'd recommend the following:

1) make sure your insurance is up to date
2) hire an arsonist.

Kidding, of course. But in retrospect, it's tempting.

National moving companies are expensive. They get it done quick, but they break stuff and lose stuff. Doing it on your own is less expensive, your stuff won't get lost or stolen, but your arms and back will hurt when you're done. (Unless you do Mark Ripplehorn's exercise program for 6 months ahead of time, of course...)

Choose your poison.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I like Doc's original idea!

If I ever move again, I want to be rich enough to take a vacation for a month or so and then just return to the new place and find the bed made!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I moved from 800 miles from Wyoming to Montana earlier this year, and then I moved across town last week, moving the 800 miles was easier.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hire some Mexicans .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
The problem with going the container route, is you will certainly need more than one. More likley 2-3 which can get quite expensive, and you're still doing all the work. Also you may have difficulty finding a container company that services South Dakota.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I would buy a huge enclosed trailer that I could use for hunting after the move.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kend
I would buy a huge enclosed trailer that I could use for hunting after the move.

Good logic in that...might be wise to compare costs in doing so. Renting trailers/trucks is expensive as is hiring a moving company. It will take several trips, but...

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
check out upack/ABF trailers...should be able to google it

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Boise
I'm moving from Boise to South Dakota and am looking for advice on the best way to move my household. We'll be moving from a 4 bedroom home to a 2 bedroom rental with plans to purchase a house as soon as one is located.

We have far too much "good stuff" to move it all ourselves so no way a U-haul will work. I'm looking at:

1. Moving Pods
2. One of the national moving companies

I'm leaning towards the pod concept since we will most likely need to store our stuff for several months.

Suggestions/experiences?
Use a POD for general/bulky/not-as-valuable stuff.. Buy a good enclosed trailer and use that to haul the good/expensive stuff..

I envy you.. I've been trying to get to SD for five years now.. Even bought the enclosed trailer last summer. .I'm ready to go.. Wife? Not so much.. mad

I'll do my move myself.. Wife wants to hire a mover.. I might, just for the large, bulky, non-valuable stuff in the interest of speed.. The rest, I'll do myself with my trailer (7'X12' American Hauler V-nose twin-axle w/ramp)

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
buy a conex ... fill it up ...move it.... unload it....bury it....to store your toys/food etc.....and u could live in it if the election don't go as planed this fall......

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Boise
... we will most likely need to store our stuff for several months.

Suggestions/experiences?

Store it in Boise.

Move into the rental. Then move into the house you purchase.

Then drive back to Boise and look at all that stuff you left in storage. Evaluate. And then burn most of it in Boise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One word of advice.

Purge.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Amen!

I'll be moving stuff in segments and then letting the movers take care of all the big stuff.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Start w/ rethinking how important all that "good stuff" really is. Then organize a series of big yard sales. W/ the proceeds, buy/rent a trailer to move what's actually important.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let your fingers do the walking on a mover. Sometimes the mom and pop mover down the street, is your best bet. Check their insurance. I've had much better luck with breakage from pro's, than with friends and a huge cooler and providing a meal. Good luck in SD.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've moved 3 times in the last 5 years. I always did the valuables and really breakable stuff and hired someone to load/unload the big truck I rented and drove myself. Heard too many stories of people hiring out big companies and then having their stuff held for "ransom" till new fees are paid etc...

I tried the pods thing but never could find a company that would service anywhere I was moving from or to, just to move the big bulky stuff like tools and other stuff from the shop.

Otto is my co-pilot.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Amazing how much the value of your stuff plummets the third or fourth time you handle it...

I agree with above. While you have the chance, take what you need and store the rest locally. You can do it at your own pace and will be way less stressful on you. Buy a trailer. 7x16 with a ramp would be sweet. Lots of them used out there. Put everything you want to take with you in it and rent a Uhaul big enough to pull it if you need more room.

When you get your house, you drive up with your trailer and load it up....

The single most important point I have is keep it as stress free as possible. Moving things 4 times sucks. Always keep track of your hours so you can budget your burn pile... smile

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sell your stuff in Boise and buy new stuff in South Dakota and have it delivered. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 2500HD, 1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,876
Posts18,518,127
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.