Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Brad
The world is full of all-around cartridges, where are the all-around riflemen?

Instead of reading that fluff written by Chuck Hawks and the whole "best caliber" mental masturbation gak; the question posed by Brad should encourage some thought.

Semper Fi
HR IC

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They're right here, around the fire...shaking their heads.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
+1 for the .30-06 If I had to give all of them up but one, I'd probably be stuck with a .300 Savage because it was my first, but .30-06 makes the most sense to me. Whichever though. There isn't anything on this earth that I couldn't kill with either if I really wanted to.

Mike

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 444Matt
I love old, boring PROVEN rounds.

What does "proven" mean besides proven to be popular? Lots of rounds aren't popular (and never will be) but they all killed what they shot.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by PastorDan
Originally Posted by 444Matt
I love old, boring PROVEN rounds.

What does "proven" mean besides proven to be popular? Lots of rounds aren't popular (and never will be) but they all killed what they shot.

True but 106 years of dead stuff and still the most "popular" chambering in the US = PROVEN.

Mike

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by StarchedCover

Instead of reading that fluff written by Chuck Hawks and the whole "best caliber" mental masturbation gak; the question posed by Brad should encourage some thought.

Yes, the problem with these discussions is that they quickly deteriorate into talk about what suits individual "needs".To the guy who hunts deer and antelope every year,rolls the odd coyote or woodchuck now and then,and hunts cow elk once every other decade, a 257 Roberts is an "all around" cartridge...lots different from the fellow fortunate enough to be hunting a wide variety of the world's soft skinned game here and abroad.

That used to be the context in which we thought of all round cartridges,situations where the 30/06, the 7mm and 300 mags,the 375H&H, were shining stars among "true" all round BG hunters.

Plus the fact that the world today is loaded with cartridges providing similar and duplicitous performance,so that you get a huge headache distinguishing one from the other (eyes glazed over)and only a computer genius with 40 charts and an engineering degree from MIT can tell them apart....near as I can tell, the animals haven't changed much,and can't notice the differences in terms of which headstamp kills them.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by StarchedCover

Yes, the problem with these discussions is that they quickly deteriorate into talk about what suits individual "needs".To the guy who hunts deer and antelope every year,rolls the odd coyote or woodchuck now and then,and hunts cow elk once every other decade, a 257 Roberts is an "all around" cartridge...lots different from the fellow fortunate enough to be hunting a wide variety of the world's soft skinned game here and abroad.

That used to be the context in which we thought of all round cartridges,situations where the 30/06, the 7mm and 300 mags,the 375H&H, were shining stars among "true" all round BG hunters.

Plus the fact that the world today is loaded with cartridges providing similar and duplicitous performance,so that you get a huge headache distinguishing one from the other (eyes glazed over)and only a computer genius with 40 charts and an engineering degree from MIT can tell them apart....near as I can tell, the animals haven't changed much,and can't notice the differences in terms of which headstamp kills them.

Thuse the .30-06 I bet if that was the only round we were all allowed to hunt with, the same number of animals would hit the dirt this year. Same for the .270, 7x57, .308 and whatever else. Even if we had only the .243 We don't give ourselves enough credit. What is a hundred or so yards and a couple more weeks spent pounding dirt. Isn't that what we all get so excited about in the first place?

Mike

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
.270 Win. for the parameters described in the lower 48. .375H&H for Alaska and Africa

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I would stick with the .30-06 SPRG if I was picking one "all-around" cartridge to own for my hunting.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I wonder how the 30-06 would have been looked at if the .308 would have been created first. People probably would have criticized it for using more powder and a longer action for minmal gain. Timing is everything!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by PastorDan
I wonder how the 30-06 would have been looked at if the .308 would have been created first. People probably would have criticized it for using more powder and a longer action for minmal gain. Timing is everything!

Tell that to the .300 Savage... grin

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

Tell that to the .300 Savage... grin

FC

Point taken! laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Very good point indeed!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Good thing we don't have to pick one. We'd probably be a little more leathal if we all did though. I bet my Red Rider killed more stuff than any of the centerfires I've ever owned.

Mike

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by US_Patriot

7-08REM & .308WIN are my all-around cartridges.

I like 7mm bullets. Both 7-08 and 7RM are awesome.

And I like .308 lightweight rifles !

Couldn't agree more on all points, except mine is a WSM instead of RM.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
All around any where and all game, 9.3X62 and a 6.5X55SE or 6.5X57. Should cover most situations. Of course I have and have hunted with both succesfully.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
270 win. 7mm rm. 7 mm saum. 308 win

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (1_deuce, 444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 10 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.