Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I bought and traded for this 1969 Sako L579 243 Forrester Deluxe a couple months ago.I need a fairly short and light weight scope for it.I was thinking about a VX3 2.5-8X36 in gloss with gloss Conetrol rings.

My 12.4" VXII would barely fit behind the rear sight so my scope needs to be shorter than that.This is also a very trim and light weight rifle and I don't want to spoil the balance.

What do you guys think about my choices? I would also like to ask anyone with experience with the Conetrol Daptar bases if they would hang over into the action when mounted.

Here are a few pictures.I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I do.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

HR IC

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice classic rifle. My .243 wears that exact scope in Tally low lightweights and it rocks!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have the same rifle in 308.....had a 2x7x33 vari-x-II on it for years. Just bought a vxIII 1.5x5 to replace it.......should be a fine combo....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice, Very Nice..... good scope choice... rings.. Talleys or Sakos

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Original old style high gloss Sako rings. Nothing else.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Original old style high gloss Sako rings. Nothing else.

This gentleman hit it spot on, the original old style high gloss Sako rings the only way to go on that beautiful Deluxe Forester.

Congrats, on the nice rifle; be careful, the old Sakos are addictive.

Steve

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks guys,I may have to look for some original Sako ringmounts.Would I need low or medium for a VX3 2.5-8X36?

I also thought about the new Optilock ringmounts but if anything like the two piece Optilocks even low is higher than I would like on a 36mm scope.I do like the plastic inserts and they will clamp on nicely.I also like the built in recoil lug.

I also like the clean look of the Conetrols but I don't want them if the bases will stick out into the action when fully seated.They are quite expensive,around $180 I think, which is ok if they fit without sticking out into the action but I would like to know before I spend that much an something I wouldn't be happy with.

The Leupold ringmounts made for sako would be the simplest solution but I tried a set I had on a different Sako and they had to be at the end of the front and rear dove tail before the dove tail was wide enough for them to clamp down on.Even then I'm not sure they were getting as much purchase as I would like.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
RH, the original Sako rings of the low variety are very low. I mean, very low. I mounted a VX3 3.5-10x40 in my mediums on my Finnbear and it is just about perfect....nice and close to the barrel.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Very nice gun!

Not sure if it's the same size action, but I just bought a Bavarian Carbine 85 in 308. I was all set on the VX3 2.5x8 for it, but the tube length/spacing was going to cause me to have to mount the front Opti base and ring set back over the ejection port (reverse them). I ended up with low opti ring mounts in low and a longer tubed scope (swaro Z3 3x10). No issue with the front sight and it sits up high, yet the scope is low to the barrel.

I'm sure you can take your gun to a gun shop and place the scope to see if you get the relief and spacing you need/want.

I can send you a pic if you provide an email address.

Wardman

Last edited by Wardman; 01/06/12.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Wardman
Were you using the two piece Optilocks?

I also have in mind the VX3 1.75-6X32.It has a slightly longer mounting area.

The thing is that around here there is no place that will have a selection of scopes as well as mounts to fit a Sako.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 01/06/12.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sako Ring Mounts

Sako Ring Mounts

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
GeoW
I have thought of thoes Optilock ringmounts but they seem very high with a specified max outside objective diameter as 56mm.The outside objective of the VX3 2.5-8X36 is 43mm.I like all my scopes mounted as low as possible and still having bolt clearence.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Ring mounts with 3-9x40

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 2x7 or a 2.5x8 Leupold would work well.

I've used several sets of Conetrol mounts on Sakos & if fitted right, they are excellent.

MM

Here's a set of Conetrols with a 2.5x8

[Linked Image]

And a 2x7 in old Buehler mounts

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
MontanaMan
Are thoes Conetrols the lowest available with the 2.5-8? If they are not the lowest ,was it necessary to mount with them for bolt clearence?

Just judging by looks your Conetrols may be just as high as GeoW's Optilock ringmounts.My major reason for the Conetrols was to get the scope as low as possible.I do think however that the Conetrols would be the best looking mounts.

Guys,
I really appreciate the pictures.They are a big help.
RH

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
RH, the original Sako rings of the low variety are very low. I mean, very low. I mounted a VX3 3.5-10x40 in my mediums on my Finnbear and it is just about perfect....nice and close to the barrel.

+1 Lows work with straight tube objectives. Don't settle for any other mount on that rifle, other than the original hig gloss. The later sako mounts are not high gloss. The original mounts are polished as nice as the receiver/barrel on your rifle.

Keep looking. Mediums can be hard to find. You can go to highs in a pinch.

If you can't wait to find the original Sako mounts because you want to shoot the rifle, buy something else as a temporary fix. Don't settle for less on that rifle.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
RH - I used Opti low ring mounts for my Bavarian. The store had Leopold and Opti mounts. I have about 3/16" of clearance under the objective.

The Conetrols were nice looking, but I've only been able to see pics on the web and when speaking to the man at Conetrol, he wanted to know what scope I was mounting and I did not know that yet. If you are expert, you can probably work with him to get more info, I just could not and he is not local.

Talleys were easier to work with/speak to, but also wanted the scope I thought I was mounting.

Net was - CoveCreek had lots of scopes to try, and the Opti's were perfect. It was a 4 hour drive for me but they discounted things and installed while I waited too. Great group IMO.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
+1 for finding the original mounts.......and a nice gloss scope, any of the ones mentioned would be fine.....have fun!

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I started off with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 on my L579 243 in Leupold Sako Ringmounts in low height. I changed the scope out to a Kahles AH 2x7 this year and like the way the rifle handles with the smaller scope better.

I've had a Leupold M8 6x42 on it to and I liked that combo also, I could be happy with either the 2x7 or 6x42.

I agree with the other posters though, on a Deluxe like yours I'd be searching for original Sako Ringmounts.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
What city do you live in, there has to be a scope place close or have Cabela's ship you a few to test and return the ones you do not like.

The Conquest was too large and heavy (IMO) for my rifle albeit a great deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (16gage, 160user, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10ring1, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 2,895 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,406
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.