Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I've used the Svea 123 and MSR XGK well below zero... no need for links.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ironbender
I used my PR one time and it was a bit cold for it. I had to keep shaking the canister and warming it with my hands to keep the flame. Wished for white gas that morning - coffee was at a premium.
Hands will work, but IMHO there's a better way. Check this post out on my blog: Gas Stoves: Cold Weather Tips.

HJ

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Brad
I've used the Svea 123 and MSR XGK well below zero... no need for links.
I meant for gas stoves that will work in colder weather than "normal" gas stoves.

If you've already got a 123/XGK and are happy, not to worry.

HJ

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hikin_Jim
[ I meant for gas stoves that will work in colder weather than "normal" gas stoves.

I'm interested... what would those be?

I assume you've used them in -30F cold?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Most gas stoves start fading around 20F. I'm talking about taking gas stoves down to 0F. But -30F? Heck no. Not recommended in general for any backpacking type gas stove unless you really know what you're doing AND have a backup liquid fueled stove. For -30F trot out that XGK.

For the type of gas stove that will go down to about 0F, see this article that I wrote for Seattle BackPacker's Magazine last April: Stoves For Cold Weather II

HJ

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Warmed up a bit by high noon!

[Linked Image]

Cold by enjoyable the day before.

[Linked Image]

The evening was fun. Maybe more important than the coffee was hot cho-cho for these two.

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Most gas stoves start fading around 20F. I'm talking about taking gas stoves down to 0F. But -30F? Heck no. Not recommended in general for any backpacking type gas stove unless you really know what you're doing AND have a backup liquid fueled stove. For -30F trot out that XGK.

For the type of gas stove that will go down to about 0F, see this article that I wrote for Seattle BackPacker's Magazine last April: Stoves For Cold Weather II

HJ

When you said "normal gas stoves" I assumed you meant white gas stoves. Here in Montana a winter stove better produce at -30F or it's trouble.

Below 15*F I'm just not interested in canister stoves, period. Too fickle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The trick is fairly simple: Touch the canister with your (unfrozen) hand. If the canister is rated to 190F and it doesn't feel hot, then you're no where near the danger point. If however it does feel hot (not warm, hot), then turn the sucker down QUICK and open up the windscreen a bit.

HJ

I stuck a 233 grammer MSR can on the floor of a veneer dryer at work once for a half a shift. 390 degrees didn't cause a failure or epic explosion (which can be contained quite well inside a Durand Raute 17 section 4 deck dryer) I did it becuase the exploding can thread pops up once in a while.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I stuck a 233 grammer MSR can on the floor of a veneer dryer at work once for a half a shift. 390 degrees didn't cause a failure or epic explosion (which can be contained quite well inside a Durand Raute 17 section 4 deck dryer) I did it becuase the exploding can thread pops up once in a while.
Amazing. They're rated to around 190F. That's pretty impressive that one went all the way to 390 -- but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

HJ

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
[quote=Hikin_Jim]The trick is fairly simple: Touch the canister with your (unfrozen) hand. If the canister is rated to 190F and it doesn't feel hot, then you're no where near the danger point. If however it does feel hot (not warm, hot), then turn the sucker down QUICK and open up the windscreen a bit.

HJ

Good stuff Dan...

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When you said "normal gas stoves" I assumed you meant white gas stoves. Here in Montana a winter stove better produce at -30F or it's trouble.

Below 15*F I'm just not interested in canister stoves, period. Too fickle.
Ah. Sorry. No. By normal gas stove I meant a normal canister gas stove, the kind that screws directly on top of a canister of gas.

Yeah, some people will be interested in a gas (canister!) stove that operates down to 0F for "shoulder season" camps (late fall/early spring), others will not. I grew up with white gas type stoves, so they don't bother me. Other people will bend over backwards to avoid white gas. Each to his or her own.

HJ

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'll bet there is some statistical safety factor figured in. Like breaking strength of cordage.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ironbender
I'll bet there is some statistical safety factor figured in. Like breaking strength of cordage.
I would think so.

The "hand test" for me is just something that is practical in the field. If I can touch the canister without burning my hand, then it can't be anywhere near the explosion point.

The main "take away" from this is that despite the bold print warnings that say NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, you can in fact use a windscreen with a canister stove.

HJ

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Regarding the new MSR (even with a windscreen), at the end of the day the Jetboil Ti will ultimately boil faster, and use less fuel, off-setting it's slightly higher weight beyond a 3 day trip... all wishful thinking aside.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=Hikin_Jim]The trick is fairly simple: Touch the canister with your (unfrozen) hand. If the canister is rated to 190F and it doesn't feel hot, then you're no where near the danger point. If however it does feel hot (not warm, hot), then turn the sucker down QUICK and open up the windscreen a bit.

HJ

Good stuff Dan...

Unfortunately..... Its all true.

It bulged the bottom of the can. But I still used it all up.

But then, us NASCAR hillbilly sheep [bleep] actually push things far beyond their expected limits just to see how it all shakes out.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

But then, us NASCAR hillbilly sheep [bleep] actually push things far beyond their expected limits just to see how it all shakes out.

From your mouth to God's ears... grin

Hope you're well...

Brad

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
From your mouth to God's ears... grin

Hope you're well...

Brad
laugh

HJ

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Shifting gears a bit if I may: I've been testing the new MSR MicroRocket stove just to see what it will and will not do. I wanted to see if it could do things beyond the basics, so...

[Linked Image]
The above omelet was prepared on an MSR MicroRocket this morning. I've got a full report on my blog: [b]The New MSR MicroRocket -- Cooking Report[/b]. Have a look if you like.

HJ

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a really good test and write-up Jim. Looks like the PR's very versatile... based on your photos the thing that impresses me most is its folded size... that thing is SMALL!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's a really good test and write-up Jim. Looks like the PR's very versatile... based on your photos the thing that impresses me most is its folded size... that thing is SMALL!
Yeah, that's kind of where I'm coming from when I say "the reduced weight is no big deal". To me, the smaller size is what's cool about the new MR, not the slightly reduced weight (yawn).

Again, I'm not trying to talk people who are happy with the PR out of their stoves, but if someone were in the market for a little stove, the MR is worth taking a look at. I don't think it's the best in any one category, but it's a good overall stove.

HJ

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1234, 219DW, 160user, 22kHornet, 61 invisible), 12,240 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,252
Posts18,544,465
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.