Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ken14 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a Fulton standard rifle with a 20" A2 upper. Question is..can I replace it with a flattop upper and Weaver-style mount system to utilize optics? If not what system do I need to mount a scope other that the carry-handle mount?..Im pretty much an AR rookie.

It must feel so good to be right all the time.....
Click "Ignore"..get rid of the whore..
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Your lower should accept any upper. If you get an entire upper assembly, barrel, bolt, etc, you will be able to switch your uppers in a matter of seconds and use the riffle in either configuration.
Hope this helps.

Ken14 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That does, but My main concern is the ability to use optics (Nikon Pro staff 4-12) on a flat top upper..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From what I think you're asking:
You have two options, buy a complete flat top upper, and then it will just pin on to your present lower. You'll still have the other complete upper and can change between them.
The second option is to buy a flat top upper reciever and take the barrel and hardward off of your "old" upper then it will simply pin onto you current upper. You'll then have an extra upper reciever. You can do the second options yourself, see how to do it on youtube or the brownell website.
By now you may have noticed that option one is the easiest, and might just cost about the same buy the time all is said and done if you need to buy some tools.

Oh yeah, go Eagles! They changed the name of the place since I went there. CH

The older I get the better I was.
Ken14 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thats what my concern is...now what do I need to do to use some good optics on a flat top reciever?? And also...can I just take the bolt assembly from one upper to the other??

Last edited by Ken14; 01/07/12.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For putting a scope on a flat top weaver style rings will mount the scope on the receiver without any problems. the one issue you may run into is getting the proper eye relief. when I mounted a scope on my flat top Bushmaster, I had to get a cantilever scope mount such as this one [img]http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.pkfirearms.com/product_images/0000/7925/RRA_30MM_ext.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pkfirearms.com/Other_Scope_Mounts/118/c&h=314&w=580&sz=24&tbnid=gNvMx72jP1fP6M:&tbnh=69&tbnw=127&zoom=1&docid=gXv8CDsifsI5kM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=PP8IT_bVBeSpiALOh6nNCQ&ved=0CMoBEPUBMBA&dur=3799[/img]

as far as the bolt, you should be able to take the bolt back and forth, but I would just get a second bolt, I think that most of the upper assemblies come with a bolt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mounting optics on an AR is simple but can be on the spendy side. I just bit the bullet and bought a Burris PEPR and it seems to work great, but I got along great with a cheapy Weaver and Leupold "see thu" 30/30 mount. These mounts are designed so that they sit high enough on the rifle you can use them. That's what you'll run into is that the scope needs to sit very high compared to a bolt gun. Also when you go to zero the thing in you need to be aware that at 25 yards you should be about 2 inches low. I zeroed my 5.56 in dead on at 25 once and at 100 was completely over the target frame. There is lots of mount options for the AR, LaRue of Texas is considered the holy grail, but they will cost you.

Yes you can switch bolts and bolt carrier groups between the upper, assuming that they are the same calibers, and the bolt head spaces correctly into both barrels. I've never done that, just bought the upper with the bcg/bolt. However it you tear your current upper apart and reassemble with a new upper reciever, then the bolt and barrel will fit exactly as they do now. Good luck, let us know what you decide to do. CH

The older I get the better I was.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
You can change your A2 out for a flat top and sell the A2 receiver. You'll probably come out about even if you can do it yourself. If not, I'm sure you can find someone to help you do the swap.

You'll need a one piece mount, or either high rings or a riser and rings. I highly recommend a one piece mount. They can get expensive, but are well worth it. Good ones can be found for $75-100, and great ones go up to $200.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (2UP, 2500HD, 405winash, 10Glocks, 35, 1OntarioJim, 9 invisible), 1,615 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,122
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.