Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This post was not solicited by Rick, but it looks like the "contest" for the Sisk rifle and to help Dr. Howell purchase a decent digital camera is rapidly expiring for lack of entries. The entry fee is $20 for one target, $50 for 3. I know that money is tight, but you are really getting a good roll for your entry here. Even if there are 100 contestants, then you are getting a decent chance for the rifle, and helping a good cause. Remember, it is not a game of pure skill.
<br>
<br>Ante up, boys, the game is on.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you, IIFID.
<br>
<br>I want to reiterate that neither I nor 24hourcampfire keep one penny of the proceeds.
<br>
<br>The first $1,000 goes to Charlie for the rifle, and the remainder to Ken for the camera.
<br>
<br>Good luck, and shoot straight!!
<br>
<br>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forget Ken Howell. Don't put too much weight on the matter of my need for a quality digital camera. Forget this part of the matter altogether.
<br>
<br>Support Rick, 24-Hour Campfire, and Mr Sisk. If I weren't sitting in a leaky financial birchbark canoe and looking up into the breakover of a tsunami of medical and hospital bills that I can't pay off any time soon, I'd buy some targets but not shoot or submit 'em, just to help move this worthy and attractive project along. For the nonce, I'll do what little I can -- for Rick, for the Campfire, for all of YOU who read here -- I've sent Rick one piece to publish here at no charge. As soon as I get 'em punched into the computer and cleaned-up to my satisfaction, I'll be sending Rick four more stories -- also at no charge.
<br>
<br>I've often been struck by the numbers -- how MANY views the threads in these forums regularly get, compared to how FEW posts they comprise and how FEW people actually dive in and get wet here. Seems to me that a lot of fellows are getting a lot here, at no cost, without a split gnat hair of trouble or involvement.
<br>
<br>If you value these forums enough to log on every day, if you learn something now and then that's worth your on-line time, show your appreciation in some ACTIVE way..
<br>
<br>Take part.
<br>
<br>

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I sent in my first 3 targets. Notice - slow had heavy (needlenose pliers) had better penetration than fast and light(paperclips). I tend to read more than I write(typing sucks), because a redneck should never miss a good chance to shut up. How short are you? One NRA banquet has cost me more than this has so far.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ken Howell:
<br>
<br>Sir, before this is over, you will have a camera. You have done much for this site already. Your presence here alone places a stamp of legitimacy here that cannot be purchased, at any price. I want to publicly thank you and expess my deep appreciation.
<br>
<br>You will get a camera, somehow, some way.
<br>
<br>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's another way to help me get that blasted camera, a way that's much more attractive to those who won't take a chance on anything except a SURE thing -- a way to be SURE of getting your money's worth and (IMO) a bit more.. See my classified, which I'm on my way down there to post -- right now.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't want any targets, but I will put up $200 towards a camera and another $100 towards the rifle just to help get Ken his camera and Charlie get rid of the rifle.

Allen Glore

aglore@gci.net
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm waiting for a somewhat smaller sunami of medical bills for the last two angioplasties, Feb,5th and on April fools day. After that I will do what I can. Don't mean to poor mouth but things have got tight around here.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mr. Howell...Rick Bin
<br>Lets not forget I have the Weatherby Vanguard barrelled action in 30-06 that I will donate to getting a camera for Mr. Howell. I am completely open to suggestions on the proper way to do this. I would rather donate the rifle too but the IRS asks a lot of questions when no excise tax is paid. Someone could use this action for whatever they wanted or just store it away for a future project. I need a camera also so when we get one for Mr. Howell I would like to know what a good camera is so I can buy one to.
<br>
<br>Charlie sisk

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Allen that is very generous of you!
<br>
<br>God I love this place.....
<br>
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK Folks:
<br>
<br>I guess I should avail myself of all generosity:
<br>
<br>
<br>24hourcampfire.com, Inc.
<br>1018 Adelaine Avenue
<br>South Pasadena, CA 91030
<br>
<br>Allen, that IS quite generous of you.
<br>
<br>Thnaks to all who have and will participate. A special thanks to John Simeone for pitching this to his entire rifle squad at the US Army.
<br>
<br>Gun cranks are good people, folks. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Rick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys sure do know how to make an old man cry!
<br>
<br>Rick, when all this is said and done, please let me know (assuming that no one objects) who has put how much into the kitty. Then when I get that Minolta and post photos of the several first-quality custom rifles that I'm going to offer to help finance the Powley Center for us "ordinary" shooters' study of small-arms ballistics, anyone who (a) has put money into this contest and (b) buys one of my custom rifles will get the rifle at a lower price -- my asking price reduced by the amount that he's already submitted here.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SPECIAL FOR CHARLIE SISK:
<br>
<br>Photographing guns requires more than just the right camera. I graduated first in my class, from photo school (1950), and STILL had to UNlearn a lot about lighting when I started trying in earnest to make good gun photos. An entirely different approach is necessary, and it's especially a problem if you're bound-up in a tight budget, tight space, tight schedule. But it's simple once you SEE first-hand how it goes. It's worlds easier than good portrait, studio, or fashion photography -- neither of which really works well with rifles.
<br>
<br>Irrespective of whether Rick's contest works-out to your benefit or mine, you're 16,000 percent welcome to come take the gun-photography portion of my little workshop for wannabe gun writers. No charge.
<br>
<br>(I've never charged anybody, so don't start feeling TOO special! [VBG])
<br>
<br>You'll have to get your presumably warm ol' carcass here and back, but you'll have a good bed and chow better than what I have to pour down this *&^%$#@! belly tube. A day or two'll do it, plus your driving time both ways, but allow for at least two or three days to make sure we don't try to do it all in one RAINY day. Sunlight is still the best for this kind of photography, but you have to deal with it in some special ways not covered in even the best photo schools and courses. Gun photography is just another field of photography all by itself, not nearly as much like the others as it's all too natural to assume.
<br>
<br>I'll have plenty of cameras, lenses, and film. Bring along a nice rifle or two -- you do have one or two, don't you? -- and we'll have a ball.
<br>
<br>And nobody will have to TELL you what to look for in a camera for making beautiful photographs of beautiful rifles. You'll KNOW.

"Good enough" isn't.

well, I have never posted here, since the beging. I remember when some guy(rick) sent me an email to check out this new site...I looked here and there was no one here:D
<br>
<br>I do read the post everyday but never seem to of fit in here so I never posted...until I read where 24 hour wasnt getting enough money.
<br>
<br>To me I couldnt understand why a couple of grand couldnt be raised in a couple of weeks.
<br>
<br>I started to reload my rifle shells a few months ago and in my rock chucker kit came a Hodgdon powder manual. I started to read that book and I noticed a name in ...ken howell...hum...that name sounded familiar but I could seem to place it. Then the next night here I was reading kens section and gathering all the info on reloading that I could asorbe and it clicked...THATS THE KEN HOWELL.....I couldnt believe that if I had an question that here was a place that I could get firstclass info at for free!
<br>
<br>now i dont know charlie sisk but from what he has done here I'm sure hes a firstclass guy also, i havent had enough money to have my first 100% complete rifle made, but when I do He will be the first one I contact for the job...just because I know what kind of a man he is!
<br>
<br>
<br>So yesterday I sent out my 100.00 worth of targets and rick should recieve that check soon....
<br>
<br>Come on guys lets get this done!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shingle Monkey that is awesome! You can see and read about Charlie's work in Handloader and Rifle Magazines quite often!! It seems when they need a rifle built because they don't have one it frequently(at least a few times) is a Sisk gun...He has nice adds in the Mags also..and answers many of our questions as well!
<br>
<br>You can also see some of Dr. Howell's work in the Speer #13 manual, all of the cartridge drawings are his!!
<br>
<br>God i love this place....
<br>
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SHINGLE MONKEY:
<br>
<br>Thanks for contributing. You're right about the quality of poster on this website. The posters here are unsurpassed.
<br>
<br>One quick correction: Neither 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. nor I keep one penny of the proceeds derived from the contest. This website runs on revenue from e-commerce and advertsing, and we're doing better than we had hoped, thank you. The purpose of the contest is to give some folks an opportunity to acquire a rifle they may not otherwise be able to, and to get Ken Howell a digital camera so we can continue to enjoy his superb journalism. The economic health of the website and the success or lack thereof of the contest have no relation.
<br>
<br>The CONTEST was anemic there for a while, but things are looking better on that front every day.
<br>
<br>Thanks again for the contribution.
<br>
<br>Rick

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mr. Howell
<br> Thanks for the invite. It may be a while before I can take you up on it as things have been a little busy around here and I am trying to buy a piece of property that I can have a shop with a 300 yard range, but I do want to take you up on this. My photography skills are "limited", just ask Rick Bin about the pictures I sent to him. I have learned a little by trial and error (heavy on the error) and sometimes they turn out ok. I seem to have a problem getting the focus just right for a sharp image and detail. Last year I had a friend of mine who is a professional photographer take some pictures of my rifles in her studio. I coundnt believe all the trouble it is to take good magazine quality pictures.
<br>I am going to get a new digital camera in the next week or two for some pictures of a project that I am working on for a writer. I think this one will probably be the most useful thing I have done in a long time. It may not make headlines with the Ultra mags , but it will cleanly and effeciently harvest any animal in North America and not beat you to death or burst your ear drums. The gun will actually feed well also. Seems so many people forget about that now days.
<br>Maybe sometime this summer or fall we can work out a time good for both of us. Thanks again.
<br>Charlie Sisk
<br>
<br>I nearly "busted a gut" when I read your post about that limburger cheese. I told a partner of mine "it aint bad once you get past the smell" and he laughed so hard he swallowed a whole chew of Redman !!!

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mr Howell
<br>I think I have a better idea. If you have some time I think I would rather pick your brain about rifles and handloading and the like. I could always pay soemone to take pictures but you have a pile of knowledge that you just can find everyday. I am sure there are hundreds of things I could learn from you and pass on to other folks. I do a lot of experimenting here but you can only do so much and still pay the bills. I do a lot of things differntly than other folks and at the risk of sounding like an ameture, I will quickly admit I dont know everything there is to know about rifle building. Seems I learn something new everyday. For example : I had always been taught that a 60 degree v thread cut properly was a stable joint. HOGWASH!!!! I read the book that Harold Vaughn wrote and I thought this old man is crazy. Well come to find out that old man aint crazy ! I have tried several of his test and have gotten the exact same results he did. I am sure I could learn many similar things from you.
<br>Well I have to get busy and get things ready for the range tomorrow. Need to fire form 200 rounds of 338-06 Ackley and develope a load with a 180 Ballistic Tip and a 250 Partition. Looks like a long day.
<br>Charlie Sisk

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That too, Charlie -- same "price," of course. Come prepared to learn (as many on this site surely have learned already) that I don't know NEAR as much as a lot of folks seem to think I do. Always ready, however, to share what little I'm sure of.
<br>
<br>David Brinkley's son-in-law came up with the perfect title for Brinkley's memoirs -- "Everybody's Entitled to My Opinion." Ditto, FWIW.
<br>
<br>Thanks for the flattery.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick, Finally got back to Hong Kong and put the 2nd check in the mail to you today. If all of the other guys who contributed have doubled up, we should be there. I know someone is going to enjoy the rifle and hope there is enough to get Dr. Howell his camera too. I know I have received a lot more than US$ 100 worth of entertainment and knowledge from the site and just wanted to say thanks again to you and all the other fine people here, who make it such a wonderful place to visit. Best Regards, TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

215 members (260Remguy, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 2UP, 160user, 20 invisible), 1,952 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,509
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.