Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Rick, I got busy, how are we doing on this deal? E-mail me and let me know.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crimmany, I must have missed something. We buy targets and do what with them? I feel like I just crawled out of the swamp on this thread. I want to get in on this. Can someone enlighten me? Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ok folks. I've done the tallying. To date, we have $715 collected.
<br>
<br>We need to make this happen, or make this go away.
<br>
<br>Howabout an extra push for the good of the cause. Would $20 kill you? C'mon now, send in a $20 and let's get this done.
<br>
<br>Rick
<br>
<br>

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Rick:
<br>
<br>Unfortunately guess I was right about the difficulties of making one of these work. I really thought with the great odds and the good cause, that enough of the 1800 odd members(and the even ones too) would contribute a few bucks for a good cause and a good chance too but, since I have been involved in a few of these, I knew it would not be as easy as it looked.
<br>
<br>I'll tell you what, and this might not be fair and I'm willing to do anthing that will help make this happen, but I've entered the contest to the tune of $100, which IMO is enough for one contest, for me, anyway. If another week or so goes by and not enough more sports enter, with your, Mr. Sisk's, and the other contestants permission, I'll buy the gun for the $1000 and contribute my $100 to the purchase of the camera. Nice deal for me, but apparently no one wants a good chance at a good rifle for only a $20 buck entry fee. If anybody thinks this is not fair, offer more than the $1000 plus the entry fee and let's get some movement around here.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Okay, while I'm a new member, I don't feel that is an excuse as I've spent the last two weeks reading posts here but ......................? Huh?
<br>
<br>I can understand the request for donations but what are the targets for? And please excuse my ignorance but I must have missed the post concerning the where to send and the drawing timetable.
<br>
<br>Help please?
<br>
<br>

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Flinch and Quarterincher:
<br>
<br>This started out as a raffle, but since raffles are illegal in California where Rick and 24hr is based it got changed to a shooting "contest", but the contest is not based solely on score, if you understand. See Shooting Contest thread in the Hunting forums sections. It is for a good cause, $20 and a target, or $50 and 3 targets, enters you in the "contest" for a Sisk rifle, and Mr. Sisk, since the rifle was used by Rick Jamison as the basis for an article and is therefore "used", generously offered to donate the rifle, but Rick decided that he needed to be reimbursed a grand for it, and anything above that amount is to be spent or contributed towards the purchase of a good digital camera for Mr. Ken Howell to help forward his current book project. Most anyone who can analyze 2 plus 2 should realize that this is a great opportunity for a chance to get a custom rifle cheap while doing some good at the same time. Rick if this explanation does not meet with your approval feel free to delete without further ado.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quarterincher:
<br>
<br>It started out as a straight raffle for a Charlie Sisk rifle, 7mm Rem Mag, built on a Sako action. John Haviland wrote a piece on this rifle in a recent issue of Handloader or Rifle Magazine. The first $1,000 was to go to Charlie for the rifle, and all remaining funds were to go to buying Ken Howell a camera he needs for his journalism. Tickets were $20 for one, and $50 for three.
<br>
<br>It turns out that I made a mistake in not researching the raffle, and that they are pretty much illegal in California, even if neither I nor 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. keep a penny of the proceeds, which was never, is not now, and never will be the intent.
<br>
<br>SOOOO, we turned it into a shooting contest instead, with each target costing $20, and three for $50 like before.
<br>
<br>One of the caveats was that if we didn't raise at least $1000 to cover the cost of the rifle for Charlie, everyone would get a refund, and the contest was off.
<br>
<br>Well, things were going OK until the whole deal with the raffle being screwy came to light, then things chilled out.
<br>
<br>Which brings us to now. I have $715 in uncashed checks and undeposited money orders, and to be honest folks, IIFID's proposal is great for me in that it eliminates any possibility of this whole deal being against any law, and we're already $100 into Ken's camera.
<br>
<br>IIFID's right. He's getting a sweeeeet deal on a Sisk rifle, but anyone is free to make a better offer. Hell, if I wasn't the webmaster and out of the running period, plus awaiting a few Sisk rifles of my own, you can bet I'd be upping the ante. A Sisk rifle? Are you kidding me?
<br>
<br>I will gladly refund all who desire such, and will be highly appreciative of those who choose to donate their entry toward Ken's camera. I'll gladly cover the difference for the camera, and consider it a bargain.
<br>
<br>So, let's give it a few days, and see if we get any meaningful objections. Otherwise, I say IIFID's sitting pretty, Charlie's gun will be going to a new home, and Ken will be sporting a new toy soon.
<br>
<br>Comments?
<br>
<br>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IIFID:
<br>
<br>Naw, your exlanation is fine, with a minor corrections and a clarification.
<br>
<br>1) The article was written by John Haviland.
<br>2) The $1,000 for the rifle was always to go to Charlie. The "he" in your sentence is not me, but Charlie. I know what yiou meant, but I just wanted to clarify.
<br>
<br>Otherwise, you're right on the ball. Good cause, great rifle, best of luck, amigo.
<br>
<br>Rick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My pitchin' arm ain't what it used to be, so I can't even pitch a silver dollar out of the financial pit I'm in after my stroke, three surgeries, forty days in three hospitals, in-home therapy, etc. Else I'd send Rick $20 to inch this thing along -- to help make sure that Charlie Sisk gets something of substance for both his work and his generosity.
<br>
<br>One thing I CAN do, have done, and will do -- I've sent Rick a couple of articles to publish, at no charge (if he likes 'em well enough), and will send him a couple more as soon as I get 'em ready to mail. (If for no other reason, it's time to retire that article that has led the home page since Noah first noticed those big black rain clouds.) <VBG>
<br>
<br>And this I can do, too -- and I will:
<br>IIFID, if this thing works out so that you buy the Sisk rifle as you've offered, and you plop a C down to boot for that camera, you'll also as a result have $1,100 credit with me if at any time you want to buy any of the first-quality custom Mausers in the Ken Howell collection. I've been offering them for sale, at prices well below their value, to get a running start on a land-and-facilities fund for the Powley Center.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick, 'll be sending my donation as mentioned before on this coming Friday. Been real busy at work, so got a little behind on things. But a promise I do intend to keep.

Allen Glore

aglore@gci.net
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Opps, sorry about naming the wrong author, as anyone who knows me knows, I am lucky to remember my own name, I just overlaid them in my mind.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Folks
<br>Lets dont forget I have a Weatherby Vanguard barreled action in 30-06 that I will sell to the highest bidder and that person will send the money directly to Mr. Howell toward a new camera. I have spoken with Mr. Howell and this is fine. I think this should be worth from $250 to $400 as it is going to a good cause. I took this in on trade and allowed the customer $400 so lets try to move this. I want Mr. Howell to have a good camera because we all can benefit from from this.
<br>Charlie Sisk

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Rick,
<br>
<br>Just dropped it in the mail today.
<br>
<br>
<br>Bill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick & IIFID, Great idea but I would like to suggest a slight modification. I know IIFID has 100 bucks in, as I do and I think a couple of others as well. I too would be happy to pay for the rifle and leave the 100 bucks toward Ken's camera. We could still do the "contest" with those participating in this manner, to see who gets to buy the rifle. This would insure the money for the rifle and hopefully several hundred for the camera.
<br>
<br>This is purely an idea to try to meet both goals. I will be happy whatever is decided. Just wanted to offer this as an option. TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
I would be willing to pay the 1000.00 for the rifle plus let rick keep the 100 that I sent in also........could even go a little more for the rifle it it takes it to cover the difference on the camera, I am really shocked that the money wasnt raised quicker than it has been

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My other entry fee's and targets should be arriving shortly!
<br>
<br>DON'T START WITH OUT ME!!!!
<br>

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
lets just bid on the rifle...how would that be?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
IIFID, I have been out of the ball game for a while but am getting my head back where it belongs hunting/shooting. Quit posting for a long time, never stopped reading though, but missed whatever you are talking about aparently. What contest, another poatal match maybe??? biff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guys, I am taking the bride on her bear hunt in the morning so will be out of touch for a week or so. Just wanted to let you know in case you needed an address to send me the rifle. :-) TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Biff:
<br>
<br>Read my and Rick Bin's posts about 12 posts above yours, this thread.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugeman, 222Sako, 224th, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 62 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,397
Posts18,527,884
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.