Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by LBP
With a Barnes the 22-250 might be too much gun... whistle

That oughta get'em stirred up lol... grin

If not too much, it for sure is plenty....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Well, it's not legal in Colorado. That should tell you that not everybody thinks it's a good caliber for big game.

Myself included.

Actually 4 me, it tells me something a tad bit different. To me it shows me that they have lil or non experience in the taking of game with the big .22's.

Tons of people have shot a chuck that was facing them and the chuck came pretty well unwound. Imagine that going off in the lungs of a critter. You wreck the lungs and what are they gonna do..........?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Well, it's not legal in Colorado. That should tell you that not everybody thinks it's a good caliber for big game.

Myself included.

Actually 4 me, it tells me something a tad bit different. To me it shows me that they have lil or non experience in the taking of game with the big .22's.

Dober

Exactamundo...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing about the pic of the bruin I posted and I've mentioned this b4 but here it goes again.

Short story, the bruin at the time of taking was in the top 30 in the Montana book (or would of been, if I had entered it). I shot the big old boy @ 178 yds as it quartered away after I had called it in. He decided the blonde chica mato was a better deal that I. I used a 63 Sierra, the bullet out of my Fwt M70 22/250 entered about where the bruins love handle would be and exited......his Adams apple. (does a bruin have an adams apple?) The volunteer went about 35 yds and piled up.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
How can that be...?

With a .22-250...?......... whistle grin

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Myself included.

Tons of people have shot a chuck that was facing them and the chuck came pretty well unwound. Imagine that going off in the lungs of a critter. You wreck the lungs and what are they gonna do..........?

Dober

What if you hit the shoulder?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The 250 Is Way Underrated. Worry More About If Your Knifes Sharp. Than If It'll Kill..They'll Do The Job.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What about that shoulder hit? Got any pictures of a muley buck kill hit in the shoulder?

Make me a believer.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Myself included.

Dober

What if you hit the shoulder?

Another non believer?.....laffin'

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Here you go......but this was a .220 swift, 55gr hornady at 3800fps.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Here you go......but this was a .220 swift, 55gr hornady at 3800fps.

Nice buck. Shoulder shot?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Neck/shoulder junction...he was facing me at an angle. About 100 yards.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, I can't say it didn't get the job done. I just hate to recommend a caliber that needs a perfect shot to work. Especially, for a 16 year old. Who can say they never hit a shoulder when they were aiming behind it?

Then again. I use a 30-30 and a .270 for elk. So, who am I to talk?

Carry on.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
WOW, that's a freaking stud. Congrats.

We used the 250 a bit on smallish whitetails years ago with cheap factory fodder (55g SPs). It worked ok, but often left little if any blood and you had a bit of a tracking job even with well placed shots. I feel certain newer bullets have totally changed that game and personally wouldnt hesitate to use the cart again with newer and tougher pills.

Been thinking of letting my nephew use my 250 to whack some deer. He's a little fart and a bit recoil shy. Being that it's heavy, it's the lowest recoiling rifle I own. Box blind with bags should do the trick.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2 black bears with 22 250 and 64 gr powerpoints. One up close and one out a ways. Broke both shoulders on the one bear. Killed a buck this year with 223 64 gr powerpoint at 40 yards. Broke the off shoulder and exited. 22 centerfires are very effective.

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
And I more than likely would set it up for myself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I can't say it didn't get the job done. I just hate to recommend a caliber that needs a perfect shot to work. Especially, for a 16 year old. Who can say they never hit a shoulder when they were aiming behind it?

Then again. I use a 30-30 and a .270 for elk. So, who am I to talk?

Carry on.
Hell aim behind the shoulder I aim right for it
.22-250AI 62gr TSX...some one forgot to tell these 2 deer that they were not supposed to drop in their tracks at 200yds cause they only got smacked in the shoulder with a .22-250
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's legal in Idaho. In fact, Idaho allows any centerfire on any big game. You can use your 22 Hornet handgun on bear if that's what grabs you...and he might.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mauser_Hunter,

"Well, it's not legal in Colorado. That should tell you that not everybody thinks it's a good caliber for big game.

Myself included."

Because you can find some in government who agree with you does not mean others are not keeping up with technology. The Barnes bullets and the Nosler partition 60 grainer are wonderful deer bullets.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I got a question for you 22-250 guys.

I'm considering 1-8" twist barrel for the heavier bullets. The smith said that a CM barrel would have a life of 8,000-10,000 rounds, and that SS would add another 1,500-2,000. This is using the rifle as a deer rifle I.E. not shooting the barrel real hot.

What do you think???

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (300_savage, 257robertsimp, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,610 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,818
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.