-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Again, thanks for the tip, IIFID. U 2, Blammer.
<br>
<br>IIFID, your tip really got things rolling. By one means or another, I found two places with the street price of $604.99 and one with a street price of $595 (Alien Camera, in Brooklyn). Alien also quotes the lowest shipping price, so its total shipped price is $631.40 as compared with $635.24 from Broadway Photo and A&M Photo.
<br>
<br>One thing that I've just learned today* may also be useful to others -- that there are several Internet search engines that search the web for prices.
<br>
<br>www.dealtime.com
<br>www.bizrate.com
<br>www.pricescan.com
<br>www.nextag.com (the one that found Alien Photo for me)
<br>www.pricegrabber.com
<br>
<br>Also found a site with comparative ratings of the top five high-resolution digital cameras. The top two (Kodak DCS-760 and Nikon D1X) cost $4,000 and up (no, NOT for a dozen!). The Minolta DiMAGE 7 comes in a close third -- so I think my friends who tipped me off to the DiMAGE 7 led me to the right camera -- just not the best price.
<br>
<br>*Whenever he deemed my alacrity lacking, my grandfather used to say "Grandma's slow, but she's old." Well, I'm now older than she was then.
<br>
<br>Blammer, I've already had my eye on the 128mb flash card at Costco in Missoula and will also check at Wal-Mart before I plop one on the check-out counter at either place -- where there'll also be NO sales tax or s&h. Thanks for the word on it.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sir,
<br>While I don't know if it applies in this case or not, but the NY electronics/photo dealers have an ugly rep for bait and switch advertising. There are a few that are outstanding to deal with, such as B&H, but do not be surprised if the low-ball advertiser does not have it in stock...
<br>
<br>I ALWAYS use a credit card when dealing with their ilk, and have been happy for it on a couple occasions. The CC company will guarantee you get what you order. I realize this isn't your first rodeo, and don't mean to offend, but if you only just found these guys you might think they all are exactly what they claim to be...
<br>best to you
<br>art

Last edited by Sitka deer; 05/05/02.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ditto to what art said, and likewise with ebay. I buy and sell a LOT on ebay, and you run into all kinds.
<br>
<br>I have one credit card with a $1,000 limit that I use ONLY for internet transactions. When the company calls to raise my limit, I say NO. I use that ONE card for everything on the Net, to limit my exposure, and I keep tabs on it regularly.
<br>
<br>No problems so far, but better safe than sorry.
<br>
<br>The New York photo shops are notorious. I bought a spotting scope from B&H that took 6 weeks to arrive. Luckily, I ordered it in the spring for an autumn hunt, but I was getting ready to find a new source when it finally arrived.
<br>
<br>Caveat emptor.
<br>
<br>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Read the fine print. Some will say factory refurbished not NEW. That is how they sell them so low.
<br>
<br>I was on the lookout when buying my Nikon 995, lots of refurbished at several hundred less. I wanted new. But I still found a great deal on a new one.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rick
<br>I'm surprised you had a problem with B&H. I've used them for years without the slightest problem, and I order a lot from them on a regular basis??? I thought they were the single shining light in NY.
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

So, does anyone have any Ideas how we can get ken his camera and sisk the money for the rifle? Whats it going to take to finish this?
<br>
<br>Is the rifle going to be auctioned off, a prize for a "shooting" contest or sold at regular price to someone....whats it going to take?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,343
Posts18,526,859
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.