Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
My son shoots lefty, I'd like to buld him a custom he loves my 7mag, so l'm thinking that would be my choice. He's a 26 year old big strong dude and can take the pounding. My question is what action should I be looking for, who makes the best left handed action and what's the availability

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would think Remington 700 LH would be the most common action used to build a left hand custom gun.

If you are looking to get a custom action, there are many to choose from (eg, Borden and Defiance definitely make LH actions).

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
PM sent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Remington Model 700 action is the most common and would be easiest to find to build a custom.

Or, you could get this LH Model 70 Winchester ready to go out of the box.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=268574831

This is a very decent price for these, even less than a new Model 700 7mm Mag.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Pierce, Borden, Defiance, Stiller

IC B2

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
You have to define the best action for what purpose and how much $ you are willing to spend. Jims advice is solid.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Being a big strong dude has little to do with anything and the 7mm rem mag hardly gives a pounding. that said, a properly tuned M70 makes for a wonderfully dependent firearm. fellow forum member redneck did work on mind and i was very pleased with his efforts. he will give you the facts about the rifle straight up and let you know what your options are.

are you thinking walnut or synthetic? if the latter may I suggest the echols legend stock? it's simply the best out there.

The way life should be.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../1/LH_MRC_1999_Stainless_Short_Ac#UNREAD

This would make a good start on a LH 7 WSM Win LH stocks work well or I have a LH SA MRC Stock I might sell.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Don't forget that Ruger has an extensive line of LH rifles. they are rock solid and reliable.

For years I ran Lh Remingtons. Over the past 10 years I transitioned pretty much to Winchesters because I think they have some design advantages. But the rem is probably the easiest to build from.

7 mag is a fine cartridge choice, as well.

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My pick would be a sauer 202 and I would look around to find one in 7 mag. Just my 2 penny's

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Folks above have brought up a good point - what is your budget for this? Do you want a show piece with fine walnut or a purely utilitarian rifle?

You can build a nice fiberglass stocked, accurized M700 or Ruger Model 77 with aftermarket barrel for somewhere between $1200 and $1500 (off the top of my head, you might could do it for less).

If you want a full house custom action from one of the top accuracy houses you can top two, three, four thousand dollars or more fairly quickly.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bluefish
the 7mm rem mag hardly gives a pounding.
Evidently you ain't shot much outside your "internets" fantasies.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Bricktop

seriously? i give you a mere statement of fact when considered in relative context and you take a swipe like that? if you or whomever is recoil sensitive enough that you consider this round to give you a "pounding" then that's fine go locate another 7mm round which will not but no need to be rude.

The way life should be.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I would say the Dakota would be the best lefty. My wife is a lefty and she likes her M70 Classic LH, but I had it stocked in a nice piece of English walnut to fit her.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bricktop
seriously? i give you a mere statement of fact when considered in relative context and you take a swipe like that? if you or whomever is recoil sensitive enough that you consider this round to give you a "pounding" then that's fine go locate another 7mm round which will not but no need to be rude.
Seriously, dickhead. Most 7mm Remington Magnum loads generate about 21 lb-ft of recoil energy versus about 16 or 17 lb-ft for most 130-grain .270 WCF and 150-grain .308 WCF loads. For those of us who actually shoot our rifles regularly, that's a noticeable difference. For the armchair internet experts -- and, yeah, I'm referring to you and your ilk -- you won't notice squat. That's because you're only shooting three or four shots a year; a couple of sighters and one or two in the field.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Wow. OK. Guess you've got it all worked out then although I'm impressed you can appreciate that noticeable difference in recoil energy as it happens in the fraction of a second. Please run back to your manuals and tell us what velocity each of those rifles develop and oh yeah, are we comparing equal weight rifles with equally built shooters with equally designed stocks? seems to me you're just quoting figures with little basis for your assertions while assuming you know quite a bit about me and others of my "ilk".

Get back to me. By the way, is your avatar a self portrait? Or was that momma takin you pic after you was sprung wit you homies from da man's house?

The way life should be.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
seems to me you're just quoting figures
No, that would be your skill set. And you're doing fine all by yourself.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
thanks, butt wheet it's been a pleasure.

quick now back to your reloading manuals!

The way life should be.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dakota, Granite Mountain, Stiller, Nesika, NULA, Sako, Weatherby, Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Savage, Heym, Saur, and a couple others I've forgotten.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I talk with friends about building rifles all the time. I've pretty much spent my money. Trying to coax them into spending theirs so they can shoot with me now, that's a task. Lots of going round and round. I had my last 2 rifles built for $3500 to $4000. My married friends don't have the money to throw at their projects so I suggested building on a Rem 700.

Say you start with a heavy barrel 700. Pick one you like. The stock, trigger, and bottom metal you would keep.
Say, conservatively, $700

Have a good gunsmith blueprint the action, bed it, and do a trigger job. Conservatively again, $500

Go out and shoot the gun. If it shoots, you're way ahead of the game. You've invested money you really can't lose anyway! It has to be done as part of the job.

If not, You can put on a new barrel. Krieger or Bartlein would be my pick. Installed, finished stainless . $500

Not much else you can do but tweak loads now. Anyway, you've got a semi custom with every bit as much potential as any full custom rig. For $1700!

My Nesika action, Jewell trigger, and HS Precision bottom metal cost more and I haven't gotten to the stock, barrel and gunsmithing yet!

I get a shiny rifle that says Nesika Bay on it and has a McMillan "swirly" Winchester Marksman stock that won't shoot any better.

Your 7mm Rem mag was very popular with the guys I hunted with in North Carolina. It seemed to have special status there. My gunsmith didn't want to build me one and favored the .300 Win Mag for the same business. He said the .30 cal would have much better bullets available and more choices. I went that way, and he built me a .300WSM about 15 years later. I am still very happy both guns. Heavy barrels and muzzle brakes on both though.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 55 invisible), 3,182 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,665
Posts18,534,129
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.