Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You've obviously never conducted fishery patrols or pulled fisherman from the Bering. When you have, get back to me.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Does the coast guard have the resources needed, or do we need more bases scattered along the coast?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
More bases? I can't speak for others, but, living on Norton Sound, I feel just fine knowing that USCG Station Kodiak stands by to answer 'the need' when we need it just as they do when they go to help out someone only a few miles away. I also do some survival training, and one of the things that involves is how to avoid needing to ever have to make 'the call'. Believe it or not, people out here do prefer to maintain some levels of self-sufficiency, and helping one another is one of those things that people are not bashful about.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm just questioning the need for the coast guards involvement in the fuel delivery business. I'd hope better planning for fuel needs is in nomes future.

The hypocracy over on that side leaves me shaking my head

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/2336793...ng-alaska-town-sues-oil-power-companies/

Not to mention the crying about possible fuel spills, unless of course it's a safe russian vessel. And please don't forget about those endangered sea ducks being run over on the ice.
I hope the coast guard isn't reduced to delivering newspapers. smile

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have absolutely no qualms with the Coast Guards involvement in this fuel delivery. Responding to disasters, even long after the actual event if needed, is part of the mission.

This was caused by a large storm. Perfect for the Coasties.

There is always the question of just how much federal money is too much to support one community. Opinions vary. We all benefit to some degree from Federal dollars. Some however, dip way deep into that well, and have no plans to stop.

Any input on what the State is doing to help?

Brian

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The real question we should be asking, perhaps, is what exactly do we do with a ship such as the Healy when there is no mission for it? When this first came up, I recall people asking "Why Russia?" (The answer to that is obvious.) Then they pointed out that 'we' -not Nome- were introducing our only icebreaker, and people ask, "Why do we have only one?"

So again, "What does a ship such as USCG Healy (and its crew) do when it's not on a mission?" Do we really want to know that, and how much it costs? (And then there's all the other floating, flying, and rolling iron we have in various forms which has been designed for events we prefer not to see occur. I'm guessing they don't just look at it when it's not in use.)

And then there's this even smaller Alaskan ville which is making the waves even in Europe:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16495880

Our taxpayer money at work again, all for the help of just a few? blush

Last edited by Klikitarik; 01/11/12.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
It's a Russian ship entering a US port (or at least within one-half mile). I'm glad there will be US military presence, doubly so that it's the CG considering the possible pitfalls.

Last edited by ironbender; 01/11/12.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMHO the Healy is doing exactly what an USCG Icebreaker should be doing now! This is pretty minor in the scheme of things compared to the never ending rebuild of New Orleans that was caused mainly by neglect and naive people. The military is helping US citizens now as opposed to merely being on guard.

I tend to use more than enough gun
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If Ron Paul were president, those boats would be waiting for the spring thaw and Nome would be history.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's exactly why Ron Paul has been nipping at heels all his life!

I tend to use more than enough gun
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Of course an Icebreaker is appropriate for this Mission... My question is why is our USCG is involved in a commercial delivery of fuel to Nome? A reference was made to the Jones Act. Will the taxpayers be compensated for this Mission or is it considered a Federal responsibility.

Please... No one take these questions I'm asking as a criticism of Alaska.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The Coast Guard supports commercial ship traffic on the great lakes and also search and rescue. As we speak many ships are travelling on the lakes. Go to www.marinetraffic.com .The name of the new icebreaker is Mackinac.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Sorry to join the thread, being stranger of your country and state, but just one question to the guys who don't understand or critisise the role of your USCG Icebreaker.

If you were lost at sea in stormy waters would you like the USCG come to your rescue? If you respond yes, i will ask you why? Like the people in Nome you have to care of yourself.
Will you be obliged to pay for the expenses?

And when they come to help (as in every countries in the world) fishermen, professionnal sailors and so on, are these people obliged to pay for their help or rescue?

For us, in Europe your CG are doing their job: keeping the water free of ice to help a frozen community of other Americans get it's resupply of heating oil. Why this action seem so critisised by Americans, even some Alaskans?

Not to open fight, just to try to understand? Thanks.
Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
Of course an Icebreaker is appropriate for this Mission... My question is why is our USCG is involved in a commercial delivery of fuel to Nome? A reference was made to the Jones Act. Will the taxpayers be compensated for this Mission or is it considered a Federal responsibility.

Ice operations, among other things, is part of the USCG mission:
http://www.uscg.mil/top/missions/

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Thank for the information reference akpls... That's a help

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Writing fog,

Yes... The U S Navy and the USCG have international rescue responsibilities. And I do know that France has been doing its part. Many Americans trash the French. But many of us know that overall France is a loyal friend and ally of the USA. Thank you...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Where do you think all the buoys in navigable waterways come from, the buoy tree? Day makers? I could go on and on

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Out in our area, we put 'em there, and not enough others put them in places where they would be useful. But I sure appreciate any any all regardless who places them. To the credit of the USCG, every part of Alaska's coastline has lighted beacons in necessary places (which also operate during ice-locked times, a boon to winter land and ice travelers.)

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
25' pressure ridge holding up progress.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Personally I can't do anything but support and admire the USCG. I know too many people that have been flown home in a CG helo to ever say anything but thanks.

These guys take their cutters and helicopters out in the worst weather imaginable. And it's almost always because some guy over estimated the sea worthiness of his vessel.

Deal with it.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,044 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,613
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.