Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hello folks,

I recently purchased my first predator rifle. It's a Ruger M77 Hawkeye All-weather in .22-250. I only had a few weeks with it before I deployed so I've only put factory ammo through it so far. I've tried Winchester premium ammo with 35 gr. screamers at an advertised 4350 fps, some Federal premium stuff with 55gr. bullets and a box of Hornady Superformance with 5o gr. VMAX bullets. It seems to like the Hornadys best in terms of accuracy.

Now that I'm deployed, I have all the time in the world to research potential loads and start collecting components so I'm ready to start loading when I get home. The rifle will be used for targeting, and for predator hunting everything from relatively small foxes to Wolves that occasionally tip the scales at 200+ lbs. I might consider using it for blacktail deer with the right bullets too, pending a check to see if .22 caliber rifles are legal for deer in AK.

What I'm looking for is suggestions for the best powders, primers and bullets for the 22-250 from those of you who have experience with the cartridge. I'll be re-using my factory brass for now, but I'll likely invest in some quality brass for fine-tuning once I come up with some loads that work well with the factory stuff.

Thanks, and happy shooting!

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Matt,

I shoot a lot of 22.250...although I have a bad reputation for being old school, and none conventional in today's trendy circles, I can share with ya some stuff to contemplate while you are over there fixing trucks or kicking back...

I've got multiple ones, from long barrels ( 28 inches) to one with a 1 in 7 twist for shooting 75 to 90 grain match bullets...

right now I am playing with several of those 35 grain lead free bullets, both Noslers and Hornadys....I can report the Hornady is surprisingly the more accurate of the two...I haven't chronographed them yet, but I know I am running at faster than that 4250 to 4300 fps range....

of course I also slow them down to 22 Mag speeds at times if that is all I need out of it, which also saves on barrel wear..

the powders I use, most 'experts' of the current tabs will tell you is too fast for use in the 22.250.. but it is accurate as heck and gives up little with bullets under 60 grains to other powders, and will definitely BEAT max velocity with the real light 30 to 40 grain bullets...

in the long run, the nice thing is, a 22.250 can be a pretty flexible and not very picky cartridge to play with...

for blacktail, a 63 grain Sierra SMP at 3500 fps MV or a 70 grain Speer SMP at 3350 fps out of a 22.250 can definitely pull the rug out from under the feet of any sized one that ever walked...and that is do'able with a barrel with a one in 12 or 14 twist...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sounds like a pretty versatile cartridge. The Ruger has a 1 in 14 twist. It seems to like bullets in the 50 grain weight class. I'm looking forward to trying some heavier options when I get started handloading for it.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
H-380 is a perrenial favorite in the .22-250 and with that rifle and twist combo, its hard to go wrong with anything you like in the 50-55 gr. bullet weight range....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Matt,

For powders I have had good luck with H-380,H-4895,Varget,IMR82008XBR and Ramshot Biggame.

Your factory fired brass is just fine. I usually use Remington or Winchester due to price and availability.I'm kinda lazy so I use Winchester primers for everything.With a 1-14 twist for deer I would look at the Winchester 64gr PowerPoint or a Barnes 50gr TSX.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
53 gr TSX works good out of a Ruger for deer.... grin

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks gents, half the fun will be ordering the components and knowing they will be waiting for me when I get home. I give myself an "allowance" every month to spend on shooting related supplies. That's the nice thing about being deployed - the components tend to stack up since I'm not home to use them, so I get to spend a lot of time loading and shooting for the first two or three months after I get home.

ingwe - That's a very nice looking buck!! cool

Last edited by AlaskanMatt; 01/11/12.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just started using 8208XBR with 50gr V-max and have been really happy with the combo. I switched from H380 because it was temp sensitive. T.S.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
wanna see fireworks from the naythesayers?

I use Rl 7 in mine for bullet weights from 60 grains and down...

most accurate powder I have tried... but honorable mention goes to IMR 3031, IMR 4895... and for new powders... AR COMP from Alliant...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Seafire
wanna see fireworks from the naythesayers?

I use Rl 7 in mine for bullet weights from 60 grains and down...

most accurate powder I have tried... but honorable mention goes to IMR 3031, IMR 4895... and for new powders... AR COMP from Alliant...

Hmm.... Interesting. I still have about a pound and a half of RL7 left from my .450 Marlin that I no longer have. Where did you find the load data for that?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
50 TNT add powder of choice (H4895, R15, Varget are some of my favs) and you're Golden.

If, you wish to use it for big game add a 53 TSX or a 63 Sierra and rock on.

Or you could just use the 55 Horn w/c for all that moves and forget the 2 bullet notion.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
been using it for years... but data originally came from the Lyman reload manual # 47... it is also listed with all bullet weights up to 63 grains in Sierra's # 4 and 5 manuals...

anything 50 thru 60 grains, I just use a load of 30 grains.. nice round figure and easy to remember...

for 35 and 40 grainers, I use a little more than that...

K
KDF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Mine shoots 40gr V-Maxes great with Ramshot TAC... anyone else mess around with TAC?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Besides the powders mentioned, try AA 2230 and IMR 4064.

For other bullets, try the 52 gr. Speer HP and Sierra 40 gr. HP. All the Sierra bullet weights shoot well in my 1x12 twist; your 1x14 may max out accuracy-wise with the 60 gr. versions.

Thanks for your service; my nephew was in Afghanistan with the Marines.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
55gr VMax with IMR4064 works best in mine. Thank you for your service!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So far I've been using 50 gr Ballistic Tips adn V-Maxs over Ramshot Big Game. I used to use H-414 with those bullets. Accuracy and velocity with Big Game has been excellent, and it measures like water.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt
Thanks gents, half the fun will be ordering the components and knowing they will be waiting for me when I get home. I give myself an "allowance" every month to spend on shooting related supplies. That's the nice thing about being deployed - the components tend to stack up since I'm not home to use them, so I get to spend a lot of time loading and shooting for the first two or three months after I get home.

ingwe - That's a very nice looking buck!! cool

Deployments are good on the savings account. Stay alert and take care.

O
OSB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Hard to beat 3915 fps in a 22-250. 50 Gr bullet with Benchmark the load is on the Hodgdon website. It's as accurate as fast in my gun YMMV.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have been working with Hornady 55 grain V-Max and Varget powder, Winchester large rifle primers and Winchester brass out of an old Remington 788. Sure works well for the gun.

Thanks for your service

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just also bought an a-bolt 22.250. I'm excited to get it set up for deer season next year here in Alabama.

I appreciate your service soldier!!

Enjoy your new rifle.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (10Glocks, 35, BamBam, 10gaugemag, AnthonyB, bbassi, 8 invisible), 1,270 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.