Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
first thing i noticed when i walked in the shop was a nice looking model 12 in 16 ga... vent rib, and 2 3/4 chamber...
it looks real nice and is real clean, but the choke has been reamed out... worse yet, somebody etched out the choke marking on the barrel... it's marked 5 bills and i want it...

then... i happened across a marlin L.C. Smith in 20 ga... it was nice looking, but i know nothing about them...
that didn't stop me from wanting... had a $1500 tag on it...

has anyone got an opinion of the Marlin L.C. Smith?
anybody got an opinion of how difficult it might be for a guy who's used single barrel guns for almost all of his life to adjust to a SxS???

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnw

anybody got an opinion of how difficult it might be for a guy who's used single barrel guns for almost all of his life to adjust to a SxS???

I've got an opinion and it's worth exactly what you're paying for it. I have two major problems using a SXS and neither is looking down such a wide sight plane. Just holding a forearm two barrels wide and so close to the sight plane completely throws me off, but what's even worse is having a tang safety after using ones on the trigger guard all my life. There's quite a few quail got a reprieve on that basis. But, neither of those problems would likely survive a couple flats worth of dedicated practice. I just was in no position to switch completely over. Similar reasoning to why I won't own a Glock. It seems I'd have to completely retrain myself to use that trigger.

Last edited by RufusG; 01/04/12.
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
the tang safety won't bother me... it's that fore-end out there that will drive me nuts...

i'm calculating on how to afford this shotgun... work has been very thin, and it's gonna take some doing...

i could, no doubt, simply trade my way into the model 12, but it's the little double that's got me really wanting...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just remembered , the last CDNN catalog had them blowing out the LC Smiths for $899.99 if that helps any.

(Page 64 of the 2011-4 catalog.)

Last edited by RufusG; 01/04/12.
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
oh yeah... that would make a whale of a difference...

i am no shotgun connoisseur, and am only vaguely aware of double gun values... i thought this one looked like a fine specimen, but i am not in the market to pay double what a gun is worth...

i'll check it out, thanks...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Depends on which era it was made. Marlin bought the L.C.Smith name in 1946 and continued building them until 1948 when part of the old factory collapsed, then they stopped. Quality of those post-war Smiths was ok. Some say not quite up to the standards of the pre-war guns, but there's debate on that.

Marlin re-introduced the Smith gun in the late 60's for a few years, but quality was definitely lacking somewhat, compared to the pre-war guns, and production fizzled out.

$1500 isn't out of line if it is in wonderful condition. There is nothing sweeter than a 20 gauge Smith for about 80% of all shotgunning needs. Not being able to sight down two barrels is hogwash- a box or two of shells will have you pointing and shooting it like you've been doing it all your life, and wondering why you never made the switch to a quality double before. The splinter fore arm on shotguns like these were not meant to be grasped in your hand. To do so will cramp up your swing. It's SOP to grasp the barrels slightly ahead of the forend, with your arm extended- it'll make for a more natural swing on moving targets.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If you think about adjusting to a SxS you'll have problems. If you forget all that and concentrate on the target, you won't.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by johnw
first thing i noticed when i walked in the shop was a nice looking model 12 in 16 ga... vent rib, and 2 3/4 chamber...
it looks real nice and is real clean, but the choke has been reamed out... worse yet, somebody etched out the choke marking on the barrel... it's marked 5 bills and i want it...

I have Win M12 in 16 ga... mine has been passed around
in the family for about 75 years now ... and it looks ruff.
However, I would not sell it for $10,000. Great Shotgun.

The 5 bills price is about right.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
No doubt the Model 12 has an aftermarket rib. I would offer them less than what they are asking based on the non standard condition of the gun.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think the Marlin 20 gauge L.C. Smith was made in Turkey. Not the same as the old L.C. Smiths. I would put my money on a CZ before a Turk Marlin but that's just my opinion. Thanks...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The CZ's are made in Turkey as well, just marked as CZ's. Manufactured by Huglu.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Personally, I'd pass on BOTH guns. The Model 12 at $500 is not a "bad" buy.....just not a real good one either.....particularly with the reamed choke. That little detail alone will kill most of the "collector" value in the future, so it probably won't appreciate very much or very fast. A better example can be found in that price range.

As far as the L.C. Smith.....it is a "Marlin", not a true L.C. Smith. For $1500 you can buy a very nice used...and true... L.C. Smith. I'd wait and look for the real deal if I was inclined toward a double (which I am).

As far as the transition to a double shotgun goes, if you even notice the barrels when shooting a shotgun, you are doing things wrong. A shotgun is "pointed", not "aimed" and the barrel width should have play no part. The tang safety is actually easier and more natural to use than the trugger safeties and the slim splinter forearm places your hand where they belong.....on the same plain vertically. You don't "grip" a splinter forearm, you "cradle" the barrels in your hands. With your grip hand and forearm hand on a near equal plain, the swing is much easier and natural.....making accurate shooting easier. When I grip anything other than a splinter forearm.....I feel like I have the side of a 2x4 in my hands and it feels "wrong".

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
if i traded into the model 12, it wouldn't be for collector value... if it comes home with me, it'll have a home for all my days... a model 12 16ga is what i learned to shoot quail and doves with...

neither an after market vent rib, or the reamed out choke bother me in the least...
i'd pattern the gun and hope for about an improved cylinder pattern... BUT, i'm really thinking along the lines of an aftermarket screw-in choke system...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Marlin LCs are fine, were made in the USA. The new ones WERE made in Turkey, the difference is obvious.

It depends on the model of LC as to the value. I wouldn't pay $1500 for a 0 or 00 grade or even a Field Grade unless it's in excellent condition. Go to the LC Smith Collector's Assn and you'll find a listing of the grades.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
the day i was at the shop, i got in a hurry, and nrglrcted to examine the L.C. Smith closely...
i asked about the gun in a separate thread and the consensus was that it was italian made by fausti... i called the gun shop owner the next day and he verified that the gun was made in italy by fausti...
by info posted above, this one appears to be overpriced, but it's a consignment piece and the shop owner probly can't do much...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

301 members (2ndwind, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 34 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,862
Posts18,478,591
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.