Print Thread
Hop To
W
WJN Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Hi guys. A little background. I haven't shot much in years and came to this forum to get up to speed on rifle shooting I am getting into. My wife and I are in the process of joining a shooting club and one of the features they have available is a trap range.

Years ago I traded shotguns with my father and acquired a Remington 3200 he had used for some skeet shooting I believe. I have probably had this gun for around 15-20 years and doubt I have shot more than a few boxes of shells with it.

With the possibility of getting back into trap I started looking into this gun and found some information about a factory recall or warranty issue. Do any of you guys know what this was all about and whether or not this gun is unsafe? If so do I have any options left with Remington if there ever were any. I do plan to give them a call and my local gunsmith to see what they can tell me as well. The serial number of this gun is OU 26537 if that adds to the discussion.

Thanks for any insight!

Jim

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Google Remington 3200 recalls, you wull find a bunch of info. Personaly I really like the 3200, nothin beats a 3200 4 barrel set.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What passport said! The updated 3200's should have a dot inbetween the OU and the 26XXX, like this OU.26XXX. But I hear tell, that there are nefarious characters out there (can you believe it?) who punch the dot in there, but the actual upgrades are not done. The way to tell for sure, is to look at the breech face, and there should be two screws or something near the bottom. Like passport said, Google it and look for a picture. I love 3200's, for target guns. I have a Competition Trap 30", a Competition Skeet 26", and a Competition Skeet four-barrel set (original Remington barrels) 28". I love them all! For hunting, I prefer lighter guns, and have Beretta 686's.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have owned a 3200 since the Mid 70's and still love this Shotgun mine has 26 inch barrel IC&MOD. I took it to South Dakota a couple of years back and it hammered the Ringnecks with Federal # 5. One of the best O&U shotguns ever made.

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
W
WJN Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Thanks for the info guys. Mine has not been updated. No DOT. My gunsmith thought he remembers something but wasn't sure. Remington - after pushing a bit - was able to find the info. Apparently not a safety issue but a premature wear issue for certain parts. The update helps with that and was never anything Remington provided only suggested. They gave me the number of a gunsmith shop that would do the upgrade.

That's all the info I have been able to find today.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have no personal knowledge of this, but I hear tell that to have the upgrade done by a competent 3200 smith costs something like $700!!!! Thus, if your gun doesn't have the upgrade, it is automatically worth $700 less than it would otherwise be worth. My 3200 are all later models that had the upgrades built in when they were new. I could be wrong, but I believe that at one time Remington did do these upgrades. I also have heard that Remington no longer does these upgrades.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If your gun has one pin on the side of the receiver it has the update from the factory. If is has two pins it came from the factory before they fixed the problem.

the upgrades never were a safety issue, just issues with the basic receiver mechanism and wood damage. You can tell if the gun you are looking at has been upgraded in the receiver by a period or dot between the serial number and the "OU" on the under portion of the receiver - sample being OU.12345. This marking is very easy to fake so do not rely on it alone. The best test is to look at the face of the surface where the firing pin holes appear in the breech with the barrels removed. If there are two hex head screws, one on each side, and below the lower firing pin, the updates have been done.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Google Laibs, they are the go to gunsmiths for the Rem 3200 updates for about $700.00.

Doc

Last edited by Doctor_Encore; 01/13/12.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I think it "Laib's" gunsmithing that still works on and produces 3200 parts. The upgrades are good to have, but if you're not going to shoot 1000's of targets with it, it's not a real big deal. They were such a good solid shotgun they got used for competition, that's when the wear issues started popping up. The area directly around the firing pins will be milled out and a new piece is put in also. If you don't see this upgrade done and you don't see any pitting around the firing pins, I wouldn't worrry about it. If you decide to shooting full trap/skeet/sporting clays seasons, then have the upgrades done.

W
WJN Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by bea175
If your gun has one pin on the side of the receiver it has the update from the factory. If is has two pins it came from the factory before they fixed the problem.

the upgrades never were a safety issue, just issues with the basic receiver mechanism and wood damage. You can tell if the gun you are looking at has been upgraded in the receiver by a period or dot between the serial number and the "OU" on the under portion of the receiver - sample being OU.12345. This marking is very easy to fake so do not rely on it alone. The best test is to look at the face of the surface where the firing pin holes appear in the breech with the barrels removed. If there are two hex head screws, one on each side, and below the lower firing pin, the updates have been done.

Thanks for the information. Do you know if the factory placed the . in the Serial# after they redesigned or was that just something that showed the update was done? Again - mine has NO dot (.).

I do see two hex screws - are the two in the photo the ones you are talking about. I just took this picture of mine. I know you guys like pictures. smile

[Linked Image]

IC B3

W
WJN Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by nyskt100
I think it "Laib's" gunsmithing that still works on and produces 3200 parts. The upgrades are good to have, but if you're not going to shoot 1000's of targets with it, it's not a real big deal. They were such a good solid shotgun they got used for competition, that's when the wear issues started popping up. The area directly around the firing pins will be milled out and a new piece is put in also. If you don't see this upgrade done and you don't see any pitting around the firing pins, I wouldn't worrry about it. If you decide to shooting full trap/skeet/sporting clays seasons, then have the upgrades done.

Thanks. That is about where I think I was headed with this. I don't know how much the gun was used or where my dad got the gun. I know I haven't put more than maybe 5 boxes of shells through the gun. I don't plan to sell it so the only reason I could come up with to do the upgrade was for posterity and getting it done while there was someone that was actually still doing it.

Jim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i picked one up at a gunshow last spring for a friend. it came in a box with 3 or 4 sets of barrel sleeves with it. if i remember right it had 410,16,20,and 28g sleeves plus the 12g barrels. he payed 1900.00 for the set.which by the blue book that was a steal.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 673, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,238 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,086
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.