Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm half way to meeting my financial goal of affording a 375 Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan, in either the 20"stainless Hogue stock version,
or my gun dealer can still get the 23" laminated Stainless version.
I know a lot of guys here don't particularly care for the hogue stock. I'd like to hear some pro's and cons from you all on both rifles...I kinda like the handling of the shorter barrel, but have always been keen on laminated stocks. Weight of both rifles are the same 8lbs. Ballistically I've run the 375's numbers, and it should track pretty much identically with my 338-06 with the Nosler 260 Accubond vs the Barnes 210TTSX.
The rifle will probably only see use as a bear rifle in the thick Northeast swamps and woods for now, but would probably be my rifle of choice on any future big game hunts.

Thanks for any and all info; it helps!
johnny

No Farmers---No Food
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can tell you i just got a howa barreled action in 375 ruger with the 20 inch barrel i put it in a old vangaurd black stock it ways 7and a half pounds and it is a handful on the bench i have a hogue on a custom gun i am thinking of getting one for this gun hope that helps.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hunter8mm
I can tell you i just got a howa barreled action in 375 ruger with the 20 inch barrel i put it in a old vangaurd black stock it ways 7and a half pounds and it is a handful on the bench i have a hogue on a custom gun i am thinking of getting one for this gun hope that helps.

it all helps...everyones personal experience weighs alot more to me than my educated guessing!!

Thanks

No Farmers---No Food
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Have had a 20" 375 Ruger Alaskan for the past three+ years or so. It is quite a shooter w/my best handloads.

In terms of velocity and terminal performance, the difference between a 20" tube vs a 23" will not make any difference in the field.

I really don`t mind the Hogue stock. Larger hands such as mine fit the Hogue palm swells well. There`s no need to worry about stock dings, scratches and dents. I didn`t buy mine to win a beauty contest. The Alaskan is not a pretty rifle. Not supposed to be. It is a functional rifle.

I have also found that the recoil seems to be less than my friend`s Ruger African I fired using the same ammo. The Hogue seems to absorb recoil better.

The rifle is very handy, fast and can handle very harsh punishment if needed.

Based on your hunting descriptions etc, imo, the 20" Alaskan is the better choice in the field.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I started out wanting the laminate 23" version, but lately have been leaning more and more towards the Hogue version. I too have pretty big hands, and don't think the palm swell will bother me. Thanks!

No Farmers---No Food
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the Hogue on my 416 SS Alaskan 20" and love it. It's ugly but provides lots of grip and I don't have to worry about keeping it pretty. Quick, fast handling and topped with a 2-7 Leupold.

NRA Golden Eagles, Benefactor Member and I vote!!
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have the hogue, 20". Was dubious at first, but after carrying it for two seasons, I'm sold. It is comfortable and secure. Shot a bear and felt no recoil. Wore ear protection as the 20" is loud!

I have a laminated stock on my Rem 673 and it is slick. I dropped it once, which threw my scope off.

No doubt the 23" laminated rifle will win the beauty contest.

Last edited by leverite2; 01/10/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Hogues do tend to grow on folks who use them and are comfortable to shoot. But if you want it is no problem to slim them down with a wood rasp or sander.

[Linked Image]

Or you can even drop them in an old canoe paddle stock if you want a tough, slim, lightweight rifle

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Phil,

I had read another post where you said that you had put them in the canoe paddle stock....that's been on my mind ever since...
..which stock?, I am assuming long action, but do you need to float the barrel channel, or does it drop right in?

BTW, I ordered the Hogue version today; should have it next week!

Thanks..much appreciated,
johnny

No Farmers---No Food
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I owned both the 375 & 416 rugers in the 20" version. Both rifles were ugly but felt about as good as it gets in the hands. Both are very accurate with handloads. I was getting in the 2600 fps range in the 375 with a 300 grain hornady and accuracy was outstanding. Recoil is no worse than my 338 win mag. Honestly, I cant tell the difference. Cant go wrong with these guns.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The tupperware stocks are a drop in and in my experience tend to work just fine

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Phil,

Would love to get up by you one of these years so I can experience just how well it'll work!!

I think I'll do a bit of shooting with the Hogue on and see how I feel, and keep my eyes open for a canoe paddle.

Thanks again,
johnny

No Farmers---No Food
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
[quote=458Win] But if you want it is no problem to slim them down with a wood rasp or sander.

That's interesting, I must drop mine off and have a good look(Rem700SPS Tactical). I don't want to lighten it, just trim the pistol grip where it curves forward at the bottom. Neat.

Or you can even drop them in an old canoe paddle stock if you want a tough, slim, lightweight rifle

I didn't mind the look of these canoe paddle stocks, although from what I can gather, I am the only guy in Australia that actually liked them. I had a broken Mauser stock that had cherry tiger striped wood. I gave this to a mate and he cut himself a new set of handgrips for his Ruger canoe stock which he made and then checkered them. They looked terrific. I wouldn't mind a Limbsaver on the blunt end though. My 3006 kicked the crap out of me.

Last edited by FourFingersofDeath; 01/13/12. Reason: typo

"I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The original canoe paddle stock on the 416 was a delight to carry and tough as a woodpeckers lips but the recoil with the original ribbed hockey puck recoil pad was memorable. A Pachmeyer decelerator solved that issue.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ive got 2 of the Hogue stocks one on a diferent brand rifle(375 Ruger) and one on a longreach varmit rifle. I really like the handling of them,with a minor exception or 2. My hands are quite large and the stock grips well. They are pretty durable and would need a lot of abuse to show appreciable wear or damage. Finally, as far as i can determine, the polymer handle must flex or compress a fair amount because recoil is well mitigated in my 375. I have a 12# 300WSM bench gun that is brutal by comparison, but the 375 is very mild to shoot. Even off the bench. Speaking of which, I range some indeterminite # od 225s down range with 2 scoes and all shots fell within 1 1/2nches at 200. Not pretty but very practical.

Last edited by rogn; 01/14/12.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
rogn #6043859 01/14/12
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One advantage of the Hogue stocks for wilderness hunters is that a strip of rubber shaved off the forend makes a great fire starter that will even burn when wet.

And there is plenty of it.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I must admit, alot of rubber on the alaskan but I really like mine. the stock is thick and I do like the idea of the paddle stock. havent thought of that one. thanks phil, I may just have to look for one.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I modified my Alaskan factory rubber-coated stock just as Phil showed in his photos and I'm very happy with the results. The flare on the PG and the wide fore end were just a bit more than I needed. It's still plenty grippy for the wet weather of the AK Coast, but handier.

I must admit I like the way the 23" barrel on the African balances out the rifle on mounting better than I like the way the 20" barrel on the Alaskan does. But that's very subjective and may just be me. When you get right down to it, it's personal choice. The SS and rubber stock on the Alaskan though are a huge advantage when the weather gets rough. I found out the hard way when I took a Teflon coated African to AK years ago - rust builds up pretty quick in out of the way places - even under a synthetic stock.

BTW I am selling my modified-stock 375 Alaskan, so if you're interested drop me a PM.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On the canoe paddle stock what is the min. Lop with a decelerator pad due to it's design?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I personally would pick the 23" laminate, but only because of the laminate. Mine is a 20" laminate lefty, which is weird, cuz I'm not sure they made a 20" laminate righty. I love the quick handling 20" barrel.

Hey, buy both, switch stocks, and sell the 23" with the Hogue!

...on earth as it is in Texas.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 62 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.